Hay Shortage

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
BK9954
GURU
GURU

Re: Hay Shortage

Postby BK9954 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:02 am

It's bad here, people are selling 4x5 for $90-$100 a roll. There are guys baling hay on the side of the road, trash all in it, and trying to sell that at $100 a bale. My only saving grace was buying early spring at last year's prices and sill sitting on some of last year's hay. Also I have 1 local that has set aside some 5x6 blue stem at $70 a roll for me. This was baled this spring. That's only because I am a regular and a local. He could get more for it.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:16 am

BK9954 wrote:It's bad here, people are selling 4x5 for $90-$100 a roll. There are guys baling hay on the side of the road, trash all in it, and trying to sell that at $100 a bale. My only saving grace was buying early spring at last year's prices and sill sitting on some of last year's hay. Also I have 1 local that has set aside some 5x6 blue stem at $70 a roll for me. This was baled this spring. That's only because I am a regular and a local. He could get more for it.

It's way cheaper to cull, and you don't look nearly as stupid.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:20 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
BK9954 wrote:It's bad here, people are selling 4x5 for $90-$100 a roll. There are guys baling hay on the side of the road, trash all in it, and trying to sell that at $100 a bale. My only saving grace was buying early spring at last year's prices and sill sitting on some of last year's hay. Also I have 1 local that has set aside some 5x6 blue stem at $70 a roll for me. This was baled this spring. That's only because I am a regular and a local. He could get more for it.

Yes, I am sitting on a years worth of hay, and can hold out until next spring. Advice I was given was to always have a years worth of hay on hand, I didn't need it the last few years but this year it's come in handy. I am buying next year's hay from my local now while it's here at a good price.... just in case.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:37 am

BK9954 wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:

Yes, I am sitting on a years worth of hay, and can hold out until next spring. Advice I was given was to always have a years worth of hay on hand, I didn't need it the last few years but this year it's come in handy. I am buying next year's hay from my local now while it's here at a good price.... just in case.

Just a little heads up BK.. do with it what you please..if that's King ranch bluestem "kr' it's called often. And I'd bet that it is. It makes sorry hay and will require some supplement.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:50 am

callmefence wrote:
BK9954 wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:It's way cheaper to cull, and you don't look nearly as stupid.

Just a little heads up BK.. do with it what you please..if that's King ranch bluestem "kr' it's called often. And I'd bet that it is. It makes sorry hay and will require some supplement.

I am rotating out bales I feed one medio Bluestem and then I feed one bale of hay grazer. The only ones that I'm having to supplement are the heifers with calves on them and I have those in a separate pasture on haygrazer and feed. Most of the hay that I have is haygrazer and I'm sure those guys regret selling it to me now. I'm always hope for the best but plan for the worst, I got all my haygrazer at last year's prices.
0 x

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:25 am

These are some of the prices being charged local. You can get cheaper, but pretty far away(hours). The milo price is outrageous considering it's half waste with the stalks

poems by Mirabai
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:43 am

Stocker Steve wrote:I recently had a guy ask me about feeding corn silage to beef cows, which locally can be lower cost than hay.
Moving feed daily in the artic vortex is a challenge, but it can be done with the right equipment.
Someone with a sharp pencil and a warm cab tractor could buy cheap fall calvers and pour on the energy.

I'm planning on chopping 200-250 tons of corn silage, and as of right now, I'm down to 15 pairs and a handfull of yearlings. I smell an opportunity coming.....if you have the feed.
1 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:57 am

BK9954 wrote:These are some of the prices being charged local. You can get cheaper, but pretty far away(hours). The milo price is outrageous considering it's half waste with the stalks

poems by Mirabai

I'm thinking the best bet might be to sell my cow's so I can sell my hay............
2 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:00 pm

callmefence wrote:
BK9954 wrote:These are some of the prices being charged local. You can get cheaper, but pretty far away(hours). The milo price is outrageous considering it's half waste with the stalks

poems by Mirabai

I'm thinking the best bet might be to sell my cow's so I can sell my hay............

If I can hold on, people sell and prices skyrocket when restocking happens..... that would help me recover losses from the last few years.
1 x

fhug
Beginner
Beginner

Postby fhug » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:38 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:I recently had a guy ask me about feeding corn silage to beef cows, which locally can be lower cost than hay.
Moving feed daily in the artic vortex is a challenge, but it can be done with the right equipment.
Someone with a sharp pencil and a warm cab tractor could buy cheap fall calvers and pour on the energy.

I'm planning on chopping 200-250 tons of corn silage, and as of right now, I'm down to 15 pairs and a handfull of yearlings. I smell an opportunity coming.....if you have the feed.

Chopped close to 200 ton of silage last week. Will help with the hay shortage some, but still behind what we need. Especially if we have to start feeding hay in the next month. Water is quickly becoming an issue. May have to start hauling water to some pastures in the next couple of weeks.
0 x

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Postby elkwc » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:50 pm

fhug wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:

Chopped close to 200 ton of silage last week. Will help with the hay shortage some, but still behind what we need. Especially if we have to start feeding hay in the next month. Water is quickly becoming an issue. May have to start hauling water to some pastures in the next couple of weeks.

Bob didn’t realize you were that dry. Praying for rain for a large area. We are ok here in SW KS and making it from rain to rain in west central OK. We bought wheat for 70 a bale earlier and some thought it was high and now wish they had it.
0 x

machslammer
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby machslammer » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:11 pm

Here in my area of Tennessee/KY line the reason seemed to miss us all spring and summer. We made 600 rolls in spring of 17 and this year was 380 on same fields, fertilized same way, and limed.. this fall as of right now, and we should be cutting in a month and our grass is not 2 feet tall in any field.. Be lucky to make 1 roll an acre on most places. Good thing we had 100 extra from last year.
0 x

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:58 pm

.... .
Last edited by BK9954 on Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:30 am

Surface applied lime takes a couple yrs to see much of a result.
0 x

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Texasmark » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:16 am

We got a welcomed reprieve last week and into the weekend. In what looked like a bleak finale to a bleak summer, we had rain off and on all week. Not a lot, maybe 2" accumulation, but came in like a drizzle with a few TSs blowing through from time to time....allowed it all to soak in. Hay patch woke up and shes a producing.

Again this reminds me of the August I built my house back in 1979. Took 2 months off from work and figured August would be hot for working but dry so I could work and get things weathered in. Wrong! Rained on me 3 times.

Really bad thing is that it's pier and beam and I put 3 ½" batts under the subfloor....with the tar paper moisture barrier and all. With the roof off, the water came in and filled the bats with water so I had to crawl under the house, the full area, and slit the batts to allow the water out. Guess it didn't hurt anything as the floor is still solid after all these years and I made my schedule......moral of the story here is that when you see a new house going up and it's raining on it, no biggie. It'll heal.
0 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”