Hayfield Grass ID

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Re: Hayfield Grass ID

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:25 pm

jwimberly wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:Does it have a seed head?

I've never seen a seed head on it.

Looks similar to wild rice grass.
0 x

Texasmark
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Texasmark » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:30 pm

Johnson grass. The color is the giveaway, and the fact that some plants have it and some don't. Other thing is the soft leaf that can't support itself so it bends in the middle after it gets some length. Rhyzomes in the roots? www the name.

If it's a hay patch and you don't have finicky horses welcome it. If you have horses that aren't feed it. Mine and those around here eat it in hay and growing in the fields. Down here sometimes it's the only hay you can get if it turns off hot and dry (like now) and didn't plant a hot weather annual like sorghum sudan aka haygrazer, and cows love it.

I'm making a field of it as we chat. Has to get some age to produce a single shoot with single leaves every 6-8" and big seedhead of seeds that look like oats but smaller.
0 x

BlondeD
Beginner
Beginner

Postby BlondeD » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:37 pm

...??....Johnson grass here in West Tennessee is already up 5-6 feet with plenty of seed heads forming. In pastures where I've mowed a few weeks ago, it's only 10-16 inches high.....and growing a lot.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:31 pm

sim.-ang.king wrote:Now that I look at on my computer, it actually looks more like Foxtail, with those purple blotches, let it head out and find out.

Also FYI 2-4d will kill crabgrass, and is quite effective against it at higher rates.

That's interesting. Why would it be effective on a "grass" type plant? Not arguing - wanting to learn because that is totally opposite from what I "knew". It is safe to use around corn because it is considered a grass.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

jwimberly
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby jwimberly » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:00 pm

Well I guess I told y'all wrong. Looks like it does have a seed head after a second look.
0 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:48 pm

0 x
"You don't have to be a genius to be successful. Just surround yourself with smart people. And LISTEN to them" C.M.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:24 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
sim.-ang.king wrote:Now that I look at on my computer, it actually looks more like Foxtail, with those purple blotches, let it head out and find out.

Also FYI 2-4d will kill crabgrass, and is quite effective against it at higher rates.

That's interesting. Why would it be effective on a "grass" type plant? Not arguing - wanting to learn because that is totally opposite from what I "knew". It is safe to use around corn because it is considered a grass.

I have a pasture full of red river crabgrass that gets sprayed every year.
0 x

M & P
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby M & P » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:00 pm

jwimberly wrote:Image

Well I guess I told y'all wrong. Looks like it does have a seed head after a second look.

Johnson grass
0 x

Dogs and Cows
GURU
GURU

Postby Dogs and Cows » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:23 am

It is not johnsongrass!!! I too have this grass in NC. JG has a white midrib on the leaves and is 5 to 6 feet tall. This grass does not grow that tall or look like JG. The cows will eat it...but don't seem to "relish" it. I don't know what it is, but can definitely say it ain't JG or crabgrass.

Tim
1 x

ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ClinchValley » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:46 am

That is NOT Johnson grass. It never gets over 18 inches tall.
0 x
Lemme pick your brain. :cowboy:

ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ClinchValley » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:46 am

That is NOT Johnson grass. It never gets over 18 inches tall.
0 x
Lemme pick your brain. :cowboy:

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:04 am

Dogs and Cows wrote:It is not johnsongrass!!! I too have this grass in NC. JG has a white midrib on the leaves and is 5 to 6 feet tall. This grass does not grow that tall or look like JG. The cows will eat it...but don't seem to "relish" it. I don't know what it is, but can definitely say it ain't JG or crabgrass.

Tim

I have looked and looked at pictures of Johnsongrass on the Internet. Some pictures look identical to the OPs field. Others definitely show the tell tale white midrib you mentioned. So I am no closer to identifying it than I was yesterday. Are there more than one species of Johnsongrass? What we call Johnsongrass here doesn’t look exactly like the OPs picture. Could be a regional thing. Whatever it is I feel like it’s it the sorghum family, as is Johnsongrass. But then again that may be wrong as well. I’m still interested to see what the final verdict is.
0 x
"You don't have to be a genius to be successful. Just surround yourself with smart people. And LISTEN to them" C.M.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:45 am

JMJ Farms wrote:
Dogs and Cows wrote:It is not johnsongrass!!! I too have this grass in NC. JG has a white midrib on the leaves and is 5 to 6 feet tall. This grass does not grow that tall or look like JG. The cows will eat it...but don't seem to "relish" it. I don't know what it is, but can definitely say it ain't JG or crabgrass.

Tim

I have looked and looked at pictures of Johnsongrass on the Internet. Some pictures look identical to the OPs field. Others definitely show the tell tale white midrib you mentioned. So I am no closer to identifying it than I was yesterday. Are there more than one species of Johnsongrass? What we call Johnsongrass here doesn’t look exactly like the OPs picture. Could be a regional thing. Whatever it is I feel like it’s it the sorghum family, as is Johnsongrass. But then again that may be wrong as well. I’m still interested to see what the final verdict is.

It looks like wild rice grass that grows here to me.
0 x

jwimberly
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby jwimberly » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:45 am

Tim

I'm of the opinion with Tim. Def not johnson grass. This stuff doesn't get that tall. Maybe 24 inches or so and then it'll bow over and not hold itself up. My girls seem to love it though.
0 x

jwimberly
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby jwimberly » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:51 am

Burno I'm having trouble finding good info on wild rice. Is it the same as jungle rice?
0 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”