Hayfield Grass ID

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
ClodHopper37869
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Hayfield Grass ID

Postby ClodHopper37869 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:23 am

??Barnyard grass???
0 x

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:59 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
sim.-ang.king wrote:Now that I look at on my computer, it actually looks more like Foxtail, with those purple blotches, let it head out and find out.

Also FYI 2-4d will kill crabgrass, and is quite effective against it at higher rates.

That's interesting. Why would it be effective on a "grass" type plant? Not arguing - wanting to learn because that is totally opposite from what I "knew". It is safe to use around corn because it is considered a grass.

2-4d won't kill most grass, but it does affect all plants. It can kill young grass sprouts, and can de-flower grasses while in bloom, and even kill some grasses. Crabgrass and nutsedge are the least resistant grasses to 2-4d. Spraying 2 pints of 2-4d, or 1 pint dicamba, sprayed on crabgrass before it matures, or before tillering works better, will kill most varieties of crabgrass. Some varieties are more resistant to it than others. It's a common miss conception that 2-4d doesn't not harm all grasses in any way. Being resistant to a herbicide does not mean that the herbicide doesn't affect the plant still. Even round-up can kill round-up beans, or set them back, if sprayed at the wrong time, or at a high rate.
1 x
"Benign Neglect" -Dun

Dogs and Cows
GURU
GURU

Postby Dogs and Cows » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:26 pm

CB...I think you may be right...looked at a picture on google and very similar...even with the purple tips of the leaves...anyone else think this may be it? Also, I think this grass likes to grow in wetter soils...areas that don't drain very well...is that what you are seeing jwimberly?

Tim
0 x

BobbyLummus1
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby BobbyLummus1 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:56 pm

I too have this in one pasture . 75% this and 25% fescue . Spray 2-4D evry year . My neighbor thinks its bahia . Im know nothing about bahia . Whatever it is its def a summer grass
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:08 pm

jwimberly wrote:Burno I'm having trouble finding good info on wild rice. Is it the same as jungle rice?

Looks similar like what some call barn yard grass. The wild rice is more prolific here. Came in from the west coast where most of our seed is produced.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:07 pm

BobbyLummus1 wrote:I too have this in one pasture . 75% this and 25% fescue . Spray 2-4D evry year . My neighbor thinks its bahia . Im know nothing about bahia . Whatever it is its def a summer grass

It’s not Bahia as that is the forage of East Texas.
I have Argentine,Pensacola and Paraguay bahias.
0 x

oscarsteve
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby oscarsteve » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:21 pm

Definitely not bahia or crabgrass. At first I thought it might be johnsongrass also. But something about it, at least in these pictures, didn't seem to let me make that match definitively. Not trying to be rude, but I assumed everyone in the southeast that does any kind of farming knows what johnsongrass looks like since it is so prolific here, especially in hay fields. My guess is that it is foxtail millet. But the seed head you pictured doesn't match that either. The seed head matches more closely with johnsongrass than foxtail. So evidently, I'm no help at all. :D
0 x

Texasmark
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Texasmark » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:49 pm

Okaye, send a good sample of grass, seed heads, and a clump of undisturbed roots to your state A&M U. If they won't accommodate you send it ti TAMU Ag, Extension service, in Overton, Tx.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:21 pm

jwimberly wrote:Image

Well I guess I told y'all wrong. Looks like it does have a seed head after a second look.

Looks like one of the sprangletops but dunno which one. The long flagleaf sticking up over the seedhead is a clue tho. I have a slow connection today and couldn't get this to load but it's usually pretty accurate.
https://plants.uaex.edu/weed_id/display ... gory=Grass
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Dcantrell
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Dcantrell » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:32 pm

I hope you don't mind me commenting, but I have been researching this too. Look up Redtop and see what you think.
0 x

jwimberly
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby jwimberly » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:51 pm

Dogs and Cows wrote:CB...I think you may be right...looked at a picture on google and very similar...even with the purple tips of the leaves...anyone else think this may be it? Also, I think this grass likes to grow in wetter soils...areas that don't drain very well...is that what you are seeing jwimberly?

Tim

Definitely a wet soil until the miserable July/August days dries it up real well. What gets me is the seed head looks just like a sorghum/johnson grass but doesn't get anywhere near as tall. I'll snap some better pics in a few weeks before my next cutting. Maybe it'll be easier to ID then.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:58 pm

I thought Redtop had little skinny narrow leaves...
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:44 pm

what does dallisgrass look like
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:08 pm

BRYANT wrote:what does dallisgrass look like

0 x
"You don't have to be a genius to be successful. Just surround yourself with smart people. And LISTEN to them" C.M.

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:38 am

Dcantrell wrote:I hope you don't mind me commenting, but I have been researching this too. Look up Redtop and see what you think.

That was my second thought, right after JG. Seedhead looks right, but I'm not used to seeing it with such large leaves. If it is, it'll be evident soon enough when the tops turn purple.
0 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”