Hayfield Grass ID

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Re: Hayfield Grass ID

Post by Caustic Burno » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:28 am

Texasmark wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:

My Bahia hayfield avengers more than 12 rolls to the acre a year.

CB, the Bahia I cut is what I call common Bahia. Not sure if that’s the right name. I have a 17 acre pasture that is Pensacola. I fertilize it lightly each year and I can see how with proper management, fertilizer, and good rainfall it would do as good as the Bermuda. That stuff really puts out some forage.

Being new to the grass, I guess my (very) limited experiences weren't with "managed" crops. Will pay more attention to it. Maybe work up a little spot where it has taken over and see what happens. I don't have any idea as to what variety it is.

My bet being east Texas it’s Argentine.

When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat. Ronald Reagan

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:52 am

Maybe not.
When I bought hundreds of lbs of Bahia seed in 2006-07-08, to get bahia jump started after logging, it was all Pensacola.....Got it at the Co-op in Bryan. it's the only variety they had at the time.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:17 pm

greybeard wrote:

Maybe not.
When I bought hundreds of lbs of Bahia seed in 2006-07-08, to get bahia jump started after logging, it was all Pensacola.....Got it at the Co-op in Bryan. it's the only variety they had at the time.

In the last ten years yes if the grass is old stand it’s Argentine. The improved varieties are fairly new compared to Argentine that everyone planted for improved forage.
It is easy to tell by look Pensacola has a longer narrower leaf than Argentine.
When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat. Ronald Reagan

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by JMJ Farms » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:35 pm

Dogs and Cows wrote:I am fencing the entire spot with woven wire fence and figure I'll throw some goats in there early spring and pull them out and sell em in the fall...they should keep the brush down.
Tim

You didn’t ask Tim but my :2cents: is unless you have lots of experience and time with them stay away from Boer goats. Buy some briar goats if you can.
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus