Armyworms

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Armyworms

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:59 pm

Its that time of year again. My fields are covered up in them. Too wet to spray with a tractor so I'll be hitting them from the air tomorrow morning assuming its not raining.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Re: Armyworms

Postby M-5 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:10 pm

Jogeephus wrote:Its that time of year again. My fields are covered up in them. Too wet to spray with a tractor so I'll be hitting them from the air tomorrow morning assuming its not raining.

I've been checking daily. Hopefully they hold off a few days here.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:14 pm

Dang it man that stinks. I'm planning on cutting hay this weekend unless the weather report changes.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:40 pm

Do they prefer the Bermuda grasses on the east coast? I have never seen them march on Bahia here, they will eat crab grass if the bermudas are gone.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:40 pm

No worry here. Nothing for them to eat.
1 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:12 am

Caustic Burno wrote:Do they prefer the Bermuda grasses on the east coast? I have never seen them march on Bahia here, they will eat crab grass if the bermudas are gone.

They do seem to prefer bermuda here but I've seen them in bahia once but they didn't seem to do much damage and may have just been trying to get to bermuda field next door.

It just seems a bit early for them but this grass should have been cut a couple weeks ago.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:46 am

Jogeephus wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:Do they prefer the Bermuda grasses on the east coast? I have never seen them march on Bahia here, they will eat crab grass if the bermudas are gone.

They do seem to prefer bermuda here but I've seen them in bahia once but they didn't seem to do much damage and may have just been trying to get to bermuda field next door.

It just seems a bit early for them but this grass should have been cut a couple weeks ago.

I'm thinking if I do have any they drowned the last few days . I'm starting to see animals pair up.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:12 am

With as much rain as we have had since Sunday , I was curious if it had any bearing on them because previous history the worst infestations have been in dry weather . this is what I have found so far.

"Prolonged wet weather can be hard on the armyworm larvae by creating conditions whereby a fungus knocks down the population. They do not like sun and heat, so they respond to those conditions by crawling under trash on the ground during the day and coming out at night to eat. (If you are scouting for armyworms in a field in the heat of the day, for example, look at the base of the plant and meticuously uncover the trash in the row.) Cool weather is what they like."

http://extension.missouri.edu/webster/armyworms.aspx
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:39 am

With all the rain we've had I figured they would have drowned and never even thought to look. Besides, it seems a little early for worms. Also, I didn't see any cowbirds but I think they were out there only the grass was so tall you couldn't see them because yesterday I jumped a flock of them in the field and it looked like they came out of the ground. Some of my grass is crotch deep.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:50 am

Jogeephus wrote:With all the rain we've had I figured they would have drowned and never even thought to look. Besides, it seems a little early for worms. Also, I didn't see any cowbirds but I think they were out there only the grass was so tall you couldn't see them because yesterday I jumped a flock of them in the field and it looked like they came out of the ground. Some of my grass is crotch deep.

I saw cowbirds last week and went to investigate , all I found was a healthy crop of grasshoppers in the bermuda . I plan to check the crabgrass field this afternoon. It is early for them by a few weeks.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:53 am

M-5 wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:With all the rain we've had I figured they would have drowned and never even thought to look. Besides, it seems a little early for worms. Also, I didn't see any cowbirds but I think they were out there only the grass was so tall you couldn't see them because yesterday I jumped a flock of them in the field and it looked like they came out of the ground. Some of my grass is crotch deep.

I saw cowbirds last week and went to investigate , all I found was a healthy crop of grasshoppers in the bermuda . I plan to check the crabgrass field this afternoon. It is early for them by a few weeks.

IMO, the best way to check for them is to ride through your field at night and watch for the moths. Assuming you don't rut up your field and get stuck like I will now. Calling for more rain today. And tomorrow.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:03 am

Jogeephus wrote:
M-5 wrote:

IMO, the best way to check for them is to ride through your field at night and watch for the moths. Assuming you don't rut up your field and get stuck like I will now. Calling for more rain today. And tomorrow.

still coming down here , I estimate we are at 7" since Sunday .
0 x

Texas Gal
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Texas Gal » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:26 am

Too hot and dry here to worry about them.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:36 pm

It started raining about 20 minutes ago. I suspect we've had two inches in that twenty minutes. Its coming down in buckets. I sprayed Mustang and Dimlin this morning - after it quit raining - and I hope the worms are sick and laying in the water and too weak to swim. That's my dream of course. In my world though the rain has washed everything away and the worms will be back in force tomorrow but all the pesticide will wash downstream and kill all the fish in a lawyer's pond. :bang:
2 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:38 pm

Jogeephus wrote:It started raining about 20 minutes ago. I suspect we've had two inches in that twenty minutes. Its coming down in buckets. I sprayed Mustang and Dimlin this morning - after it quit raining - and I hope the worms are sick and laying in the water and too weak to swim. That's my dream of course. In my world though the rain has washed everything away and the worms will be back in force tomorrow but all the pesticide will wash downstream and kill all the fish in a lawyer's pond. :bang:

You should be fine Jogeephus. May lose the residual of the Dimlin but the Mustang should have put the hurt on them almost instantly.
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”