Uhhhhh Johnson grass??

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
M-5
GURU
GURU

Re: Uhhhhh Johnson grass??

Postby M-5 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:11 am

seeds are tiny and can be carried by all different kinds of animals thru feces and in fur or feathers .
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:58 am

Texasmark wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:I don't know much about it but my pastures that have no cows are loaded and I've never had it before. I haven't brought in any hay my fields have never had more than a few sprigs this is ridiculous maybe I've always seed banks and this rain 5+ inches a week is bringing bit out.. I hate it.

Put any steel in the ground lately? Seeds (seem to) remain dormant for Eons, buried in the soil. Bring them to the top and walla they sprout. It takes years of cultivation to rid yourself of them.....somewhat.

Don't know what your usage is but I was surfing awhile back and saw a chart of 10 grasses and JG, untended, no fert, cut properly, vs fertilized Coastal were neck and neck on Protein and TDN.....way out front of the rest of the crowd.....that's unfertilized, untended JG. Horses that graze it in mixed, untended pastures here have no problems with it in hay and cows will beat a path to your doorstep for it....no brag just fact. BTDT

I sub soiled some of the pastures but the JG isn't where I did it at ... atleast not in the immediate area
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

pricefarm
GURU
GURU

Postby pricefarm » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:00 am

I have it some of my pastures. It's the first thing the cows will eat and it grows fast. It also grows good when it's hot and the fescue starts to slow down. I wouldn't care to have a whole field of it to graze cows on. But I don't like it in my hay fields. It matures a lot faster than the other grasses. If you wait to long to mow it and it gets to big the cows don't seem to eat it as good.
2 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:23 am

skyhightree1 wrote:I don't know much about it but my pastures that have no cows are loaded and I've never had it before. I haven't brought in any hay my fields have never had more than a few sprigs this is ridiculous maybe I've always seed banks and this rain 5+ inches a week is bringing bit out.. I hate it.

If you knew more about it maybe you wouldn't hate it.
4 x
Life is too short to drink cheap beer or dance with ugly women.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:25 am

Rafter S wrote:

If you knew more about it maybe you wouldn't hate it.

I guess i really don't but ive gotten pm's and text saying folks wish they had it so i guess i will let it stay
2 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:27 pm

Its helped out a lot in our dry situation this year. My haygrazer was thin but the JG filled it in and kept on growing as the haygrazer started wilting out. I turned the whole herd into it and it really added some weight to them.

As long as its hot and dry, its pretty safe. Once it gets drought stressed and then rained on is when you can have a problem.
0 x

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:15 pm

We love it here , hay or pasture , but I would rather have a whole field of it rather than here and there in a hayfield . When there is a solid stand, it's easier to manage . If it outgrows other grasses ,they may be ready to bale and it still needs to cure.
1 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:54 pm

I have a love/hate relationship with Johnson grass. Yes, cows love to graze it. But I hate when it's in the bales. Despite numerous attempts to kill it, it still permeates part of the brome fields and is all around the perimeter of the Bermuda (formerly alfalfa). When that gets in the bales it's so stemmy either they wont eat it or end up with mouth sores & eye abrasions. And yes, there's always the possibility of prussic poisoning but conditions have to be just right and we shut off pastures with Johnson grass after a frost and when there's new growth.
0 x

Lucky
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Lucky » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:51 pm

Johnson grass is a pain especially when it starts to take a field over. I had some come up last year in one pasture and when I turned the cows in it was the first thing they ate. Pretty sure the best way to get rid of it is to let cows graze it.
2 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:00 am

i don't care what grows as long as they eat it.
3 x

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Texasmark » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:47 am

ddd75 wrote:i don't care what grows as long as they eat it.

Some kind of very wiry stemmed, close to the ground, dark green, single root for large ground covering plant with little white flowers with purple and yellow that hits here about this time of the year. Cows love it so I leave it. Doesn't interfere with spring grasses......kida like them reaching up and pruning the trees (looks nice) where they can reach.....they eat what they want.
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:23 am

Texasmark wrote:

Some kind of very wiry stemmed, close to the ground, dark green, single root for large ground covering plant with little white flowers with purple and yellow that hits here about this time of the year. Cows love it so I leave it. Doesn't interfere with spring grasses......kida like them reaching up and pruning the trees (looks nice) where they can reach.....they eat what they want.

Passion Flower?

https://www.google.com/search?safe=acti ... qTlS_pPpcM:

Colors may differ but the vine generally look about the same.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:45 am

1982vett wrote:
Texasmark wrote:

Passion Flower?

https://www.google.com/search?safe=acti ... qTlS_pPpcM:

Colors may differ but the vine generally look about the same.

I remember those flowers (and recently had a CT discussion about them and their Maypop fruit). Their flowers aren't little. I remember them being about 2-2 1/2" diameter.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Dogs and Cows
GURU
GURU

Postby Dogs and Cows » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:27 am

skyhightree1 wrote:
greybeard wrote:You probably always had some and the cows just kept it eaten down...now it's rained so much they can't keep up with it?

I don't know how you can be 100% sure you never had any come in with hay...it don't take many seed heads per bale to get a good stand going.

Well I say that it doesn't come in with hay because I raise my own and have never had any in hay i cut. That is entirely possible could have some they kept ate down but where did all the seeds for this come from?? I know nothing about the stuff so not being argumentative I am literally lost as to how it came out like this

Jules, The Johnsongrass seed takes quite a bit of weathering to germinate, and things have to be perfect for it to go. It has probably been in that area for a long time...brought in by birds or something. It is good graze and makes good hay. Just my observations.

Tim
1 x

Dogs and Cows
GURU
GURU

Postby Dogs and Cows » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 am

Texasmark wrote:

Korean Lespideza?
0 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”