tubs

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
farmguy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

tubs

Postby farmguy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:12 am

Due to so much rain after a dry start my winter grazing will not be the best. I have not used tubs much so I would like advise. I plant a cover crop mixture with sorghum sudan. This spring I planted at the usual time, late may, after a late spring. I sprayed with roundup just before planting. Then the pigeon grass (foxtail) came as I have never seen before. One neighbor had a great looking wheat crop then the pigeon grass took over. Another had soybeans completely taken over by the grass but spray saved the crop. I could not spray due to the variety of plants.
How do you decide best tub? Protein level? Natural protein? Now a loaded question are Rio tubs worth the cost? Thanks farmguy.
0 x

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Re: tubs

Postby BRYANT » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:04 am

IF, I feed tubs, most of the time I use range meal rather than tubs, but some times I will use a tub I like a cooked tub and I don't like tubes that are getting their protein from chicken feathers. TexasBred can probably give you way better info on this than me.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Rajela
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Rajela » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:40 am

I feed the "Feed in a Drum 20%" tubes because that is what the local feed store carries. I drop the IGR after the flies leave.

https://feedinadrum.com/products/n-20-igr-fly-control/
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:38 pm

You could try drilling an annual ryegrass into your pastures in autumn to boost the winter grazing.

Ken
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:04 pm

Pvm 28is a very good tub imo. Pretty sure is 7 percent natural , the rest from utea. They are hard as glass except in the hottest weather.

http://www.standleyfeed.com/product/pvm ... rotein-tub
Last edited by callmefence on Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Texasmark » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:40 pm

We have a really responsive feed store close by. The owners are BTOs in the area and the store fits right in with their requirements. I can order anything I need and they can get it, usually by the following Monday when the truck arrives.

They stock 2 tubs, one with feathers and the other without. Prices are different as you would suspect. I have fed both. Main thing I look for is a tub that the cows can't eat in a day.....on adequate good quality hay. Some of it has less binder and that's where it's not profitable. It just comes off in chunks.
0 x

sstterry
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sstterry » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:17 pm

Texasmark wrote:We have a really responsive feed store close by. The owners are BTOs in the area and the store fits right in with their requirements. I can order anything I need and they can get it, usually by the following Monday when the truck arrives.

They stock 2 tubs, one with feathers and the other without. Prices are different as you would suspect. I have fed both. Main thing I look for is a tub that the cows can't eat in a day.....on adequate good quality hay. Some of it has less binder and that's where it's not profitable. It just comes off in chunks.

And which do you choose? Just curious.
0 x

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Texasmark » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:28 am

sstterry wrote:
Texasmark wrote:We have a really responsive feed store close by. The owners are BTOs in the area and the store fits right in with their requirements. I can order anything I need and they can get it, usually by the following Monday when the truck arrives.

And which do you choose? Just curious.

The nutrients are pretty close but the expensive one is the cheapest for the reason given and my choice. My cows didn't show hook and pin bones but weren't Humpty Dumpty either.
0 x

farmguy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby farmguy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:43 am

How do you know if there are feathers? Labeled as such or another way? How is protein source listed? thanks farmguy
0 x

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Postby Ebenezer » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:18 am

Urea in tubs sounds good for high protein but cattle can only utilize a maximum % like 7 or 11. Other is for sales talk of high protein and passes through the cow for no use. Tubs are as expensive feed as you can buy. Bulk feed or other choices can be fed every other day for good results. Feather meal is largely a waste. Also used in dog food.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:42 am

Ebenezer wrote:Urea in tubs sounds good for high protein but cattle can only utilize a maximum % like 7 or 11. Other is for sales talk of high protein and passes through the cow for no use. Tubs are as expensive feed as you can buy. Bulk feed or other choices can be fed every other day for good results. Feather meal is largely a waste. Also used in dog food.

The part about tubs being the most expensive feed is incorrect. In some cases tubs can be the cheapest feed you can by.
0 x

David Crockett

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:53 am

callmefence wrote:
Ebenezer wrote:Urea in tubs sounds good for high protein but cattle can only utilize a maximum % like 7 or 11. Other is for sales talk of high protein and passes through the cow for no use. Tubs are as expensive feed as you can buy. Bulk feed or other choices can be fed every other day for good results. Feather meal is largely a waste. Also used in dog food.

The part about tubs being the most expensive feed is incorrect. In some cases tubs can be the cheapest feed you can by.

:nod: They are only expensive if you don't count time, labor, equipment, and other infrastructure to feed other feeds.
2 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Postby Ebenezer » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:56 am

callmefence wrote:

If that is good for you, it's good for me.
0 x

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Postby Ebenezer » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:57 am

Brute 23 wrote:
callmefence wrote:

:nod: They are only expensive if you don't count time, labor, equipment, and other infrastructure to feed other feeds.
It only takes any of us a #2 pencil and the back of an envelope to know what works.
1 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:13 am

Brute 23 wrote:
callmefence wrote:

That's exactly right.
1 x

David Crockett

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”