with drought, has anyone ever fed sawdust?

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Lucky
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: with drought, has anyone ever fed sawdust?

Postby Lucky » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:03 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
Lucky wrote:I wonder how much straight commodity mix or the 14% cubes it would take a day for a bred cow to survive the winter? Both are fairly cheap if you can buy them in bulk. Do feedlots feed hay? You could feed a cow 20#’s a day of bulk feed for about $2 a day. Could she survive on this alone if she could find even a little pickin through the day? Need to recruit a beef cattle nutritionist to the board.

20% cubes are running about $8.75 a bag around here and you're getting them for $5.00?? Wow. Buying bulk might be a little bit cheaper but not a whole lot.

TB could probably answer the pounds a day to satisfy nutrition needs.
You still need x number of pounds equaling 30 pounds to fill that cow up.

That’s what I was getting at 20 pounds of feed and let them find something to eat even if you had to find old hay and limit it or even feed cornstalks. There’s got to be more options than feeding just hay. I guess a feed mixer would work but who has time for that. My main concern would be bloat or getting them too loose.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:58 pm

Lucky wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:
TexasBred wrote:20% cubes are running about $8.75 a bag around here and you're getting them for $5.00?? Wow. Buying bulk might be a little bit cheaper but not a whole lot.

That’s what I was getting at 20 pounds of feed and let them find something to eat even if you had to find old hay and limit it or even feed cornstalks. There’s got to be more options than feeding just hay. I guess a feed mixer would work but who has time for that. My main concern would be bloat or getting them too loose.

If you're going to feed that many cubes I'd drop down to a 12% or 14%, whatever I could find. Knew a man who sold thousands of rolls of hay because it got high then fed his own cows 20% cubes all winter. Said his calves looked awesome becuase the cows were giving more milk but his cows looked hike crap. The did survive though.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Lucky
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Lucky » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:42 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Lucky wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:

If you're going to feed that many cubes I'd drop down to a 12% or 14%, whatever I could find. Knew a man who sold thousands of rolls of hay because it got high then fed his own cows 20% cubes all winter. Said his calves looked awesome becuase the cows were giving more milk but his cows looked hike crap. The did survive though.

I agree that’s why I priced the 14% high fiber cubes. I was about to start feeding 8#’s every other day but luckily we got a few good rains and the grass came back. My supplier also came through with some really good hay this year so I think I’m safe there.
It’s just that everyone gets so hung up on feeding hay and lots of it. There’s got to be some more options besides hay. Hay is easy though, everything else requires allot of time and effort. Time is the killer during feeding season for most. I’m definitely not a nutritionist maybe a short course is in order.
0 x

Allenw
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Allenw » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:07 pm

http://www.beefextension.com/pages/ccnutr.html Go down to Limit Feeding Concentrates to Beef cows, sixth one down, and open the pdf.
0 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”