Short window

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
M-5
GURU
GURU

Short window

Postby M-5 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:35 pm

Looking at the weather pressures and the cold front pushing in Most all of Alabama , central GA and western Panhandle should be Clear Wed- Friday. It looks like I'm on the frontal boundary. The storms are still rolling thru here today so I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on another patch.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Short window

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:43 pm

M-5 wrote:Looking at the weather pressures and the cold front pushing in Most all of Alabama , central GA and western Panhandle should be Clear Wed- Friday. It looks like I'm on the frontal boundary. The storms are still rolling thru here today so I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on another patch.

aint no pulling any trigger here were getting atleast a inch a day for next 4 days they say and so far they been right.. I was lucky to get my silage done when i did.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:47 pm

I don't know if I can get my thick bahia dry, and I know there's no way that I'm getting my crabgrass to dry.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

kentuckyguy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby kentuckyguy » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:36 pm

I’m waiting on a good 4 day window of hot dry weather myself.

Need to get about 500 square bales put up for the sheep and probably rolls another 25 rounds for the cows.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:15 pm

I can't recall a day when it hasn't rained so I'm not cutting anything till this stops and the ground dries because its saturated and I don't think I could ever get the hay to dry for it steaming from the bottom no matter how many times I fluff it.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:23 pm

kentuckyguy wrote:I’m waiting on a good 4 day window of hot dry weather myself.

Need to get about 500 square bales put up for the sheep and probably rolls another 25 rounds for the cows.

Good luck, my friend.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

kentuckyguy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby kentuckyguy » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:40 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
kentuckyguy wrote:I’m waiting on a good 4 day window of hot dry weather myself.

Good luck, my friend.

Thanks I’ll need it.

If nothing changes Sunday after church I’ll start laying it down.
1 x

kentuckyguy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby kentuckyguy » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:14 pm

Laid down about 10 acres Saturday hopefully start baling tomorrow. Grass was pretty good had lots of German millet in it.

0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:42 am

I mowed 10ac Sunday , as luck would have it. A pop up shower yesterday. I just can't seem to hit the window this year.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

kentuckyguy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby kentuckyguy » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:29 am

I am stuck at work but my father in law is going to start taking and baling today. Looks like round bales today and squares tomorrow
0 x

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:35 am

Took a chance and mowed a little for squares last night. Thin enough I think it'll dry before the next rain. Last time I took a chance it rained as soon as I was done mowing, and about 10 times over the next two weeks.
0 x

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:47 am

Chance of showers here today and tonight , if we don't get much , I think I'll cut. 4-5 day window after that
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

kentuckyguy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby kentuckyguy » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:18 pm

Finally moved hay out of the field today. Ended up getting 30 rolls and 380 small square bales. Looks like we may get one more cut.

I’ll try to get some more pics up. I really enjoy looking at everyone else’s pics from the farm.
2 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:00 am

I got a break in the weather about two weeks ago and was able to get one field up. I was going to cut three fields but I got cold feet and didn't. Glad I didn't because it has rained every day since I got the hay up. One of my friends who won't work on Sunday delayed his cutting till the day after I cut. His is still wet on the ground because it gets soaked every day just as it is about dry enough to bale.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:24 am

This hurricane is gonna keep the moisture flowing for a few days. So I will have to keep checking for worms.

2 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”