Hay

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
ddd75
GURU
GURU

Re: Hay

Postby ddd75 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:59 am

i have to ted once, usually twice to get it to dry here.

moisture present all the time here.
0 x

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Texasmark » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:33 am

"Sweeten the pot." Go to the feed store and get some molasses, dilute to suit you and spray it on that which they turn up their noses. Will change their minds. I've fed some really rank stuff in a tight and they just came back for more.
0 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:35 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:We got a little shower on our cut hay today. A 10th or less doesn't really bother anything besides the extra time needed to dry. We're hoping to get it all up by Wednesday night.

If you’ve got a way to run a tedder through it you can gain at least another day or maybe more. But rain chances are slim so you should be fine either way.

We've run the tedder through it twice already. On a normal year we cut and tedder the same day, then tedder, rake and bale the next. But as you know we're blessed to have the grass this year. I still can't believe I sold cows in the beginning of May because of no grass. I'd rather have hay that's to dry than to have moldy hay.

Yeah it’s hard to believe we were dry in May. I had 2 rolls of hay left from last year. But boy things changed quick. This year we’ve run a tedder right behind the mower as well. And then again before raking. For the ones farther north of us a tedder ran properly won’t destroy our Bermuda grass like I’ve heard that it will Alfalfa. Which is good bc if it did I’m not sure we would ever get any hay baled. Like Gizmom said humidity is usually over 50% here. Sometimes it’s lower than that before lunch!
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Texasmark » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:40 am

Silver wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:We've run the tedder through it twice already. On a normal year we cut and tedder the same day, then tedder, rake and bale the next.

Why so much mechanical intervention? Is high humidity the norm in your area? Seems to me if I beat my hay up like that there would be nothing left. And nothing left in my diesel tanks either.

Different strokes/different folks...... I just baled my 3rd cutting and it's short and #2 was a waste of time, on SS. Problem is, if you don't crimp and tedder, the leaves will dry and break off when baling before the stems dries out and I work hard at it for small stems. Only thing I don't spend a lot of time on is Bermuda and that's only when it's light. Irregular fields make for problems getting good hay.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:51 am

Texasmark wrote:
Silver wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:We've run the tedder through it twice already. On a normal year we cut and tedder the same day, then tedder, rake and bale the next.

Why so much mechanical intervention? Is high humidity the norm in your area? Seems to me if I beat my hay up like that there would be nothing left. And nothing left in my diesel tanks either.

Different strokes/different folks...... I just baled my 3rd cutting and it's short and #2 was a waste of time, on SS. Problem is, if you don't crimp and tedder, the leaves will dry and break off when baling before the stems dries out and I work hard at it for small stems. Only thing I don't spend a lot of time on is Bermuda and that's only when it's light. Irregular fields make for problems getting good hay.

There's times I've cut bermuda hay in the morning and rolled it that afternoon. This year is not one of those years.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:33 am

hurleyjd wrote:Finally got around to baling 18 acres of Tifton 85. Pretty rank . It has dried to long because of baler problems. They stems will be like wire so the cows will cull most of it. I am getting pretty disgusted with this cow business.

You have to have some ole cows to keep the farm clean. Everybody else makes better money in the cattle process than the farmer that does most of the work, pretty disgusting I agree. I have put up around 60 acres second/last cutting this year. The dry spell we had sure did put a hurting on it, probably 30-40% of spring cutting and usually at least 50%+. It does make the fields pretty.
1 x

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:50 am

Going to cut today , chance of scattered showers sunday, should be able to bale one thin field by then . The other likely won't be ready till Monday, big baler is down waiting on parts, if they aren't here by tomorrow I'm going to have a bunch of small ones . I need just a little break .
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Texas Gal
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Texas Gal » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:38 am

We're planning to lay down our second cutting tomorrow. It should be better than the first, which was awfully thin.
0 x

insurman
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby insurman » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:11 pm

Very dry in Central Texas and there is no hay to be found and I am a bit worried.
0 x

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:25 pm

Image Want it to rain? Cut hay! , Just a trace, so far
0 x

sstterry
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sstterry » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:06 am

snoopdog wrote:Image Want it to rain? Cut hay! , Just a trace, so far

That is good looking grass Snoopdog!
0 x

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:47 am

sstterry wrote:
snoopdog wrote:Image Want it to rain? Cut hay! , Just a trace, so far

That is good looking grass Snoopdog!
We cut it once early , with a reduced yield , then pastured our weaners on it till july. Hit it hard with nitrate and got some timely rain , it is thick .
1 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:23 am

3rd is way past due here. Looks like I have a chance to get it.

0.. 40.. 0.. 40.. % is what the weather says for rain...

but 90 degrees.... we'll see!
0 x

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:00 am

Got it up without a hitch with my new to me baler , dark clouds looming about half the day but not a drop . Went to the second field about 3 miles away with the rake, and about halfway there were puddles in the road , but not a drop at the field , finished about 9pm, sure appreciated the led lights ! Had to ted the first field twice because of the humidity level, and if we hadn't had a good breeze it still wouldn't be dry.
1 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:10 pm

40% rain didn't hit.. thunder and dark clouds but no rain.

POS baler endedup clogging a bunch.. so it was the worst baling time of my life. fingers have blisters on the tips from pulling so much hay.

got it all baled.. put it in the barn this morning.. rain poured and poured and poured at 2... so the fields are happy.. and i'm drinking beer now..and all the equpment and hay is away so i'm happy.
1 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”