poplar leaf protein

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
MtnCows93
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

poplar leaf protein

Postby MtnCows93 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:33 pm

ive been thinning out poplars in the woods and letting the cows eat the leaves. they always come running for them and i was just wondering if anyone knows how much crude protein they have for feed value, im just curious really :nod:
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Re: poplar leaf protein

Postby TexasBred » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:43 pm

MtnCows93 wrote:ive been thinning out poplars in the woods and letting the cows eat the leaves. they always come running for them and i was just wondering if anyone knows how much crude protein they have for feed value, im just curious really :nod:

Mtn. I have no idea but never seen a cow didn't like tree leaves. Doesn't seem to matter what kind.
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

MtnCows93
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MtnCows93 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:07 pm

TexasBred wrote:
MtnCows93 wrote:ive been thinning out poplars in the woods and letting the cows eat the leaves. they always come running for them and i was just wondering if anyone knows how much crude protein they have for feed value, im just curious really :nod:

Mtn. I have no idea but never seen a cow didn't like tree leaves. Doesn't seem to matter what kind.

your right they like it all, its like candy
0 x

Mat Man
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Mat Man » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:29 pm

Just do not thin the black cherry trees till the leaves fall off if you have them .
4 x

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Postby Ebenezer » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:55 am

Carried cows through a drought one time by thinning out sweetgums. Got to be a problem of trying to get trees cut without cows getting hit.
2 x

MtnCows93
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MtnCows93 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:53 am

Mat Man wrote:Just do not thin the black cherry trees till the leaves fall off if you have them .

yea man i have several, last year i had to wait till december before the leaves were all gone before i could cut
0 x

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:50 pm

Yesterday afternoon the kid and I were in the pasture dumping out a bale of wet hay for the cows when we decided to push over a few pesky aspen trees. By this morning they have the leaves stripped off everything they can reach and even saw a few heifers jumping up and pulling branch's down while others ate the leaves. Must be something good because they are choosing it over a nice field of trefoil and clover.. haha
1 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:45 pm

I've seen them reach up and get a mouthful of those prickly American Holly leaves too. That's gotta hurt tho..
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”