Planting Oats and Not Disking

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
callmefence
GURU
GURU

Re: Planting Oats and Not Disking

Postby callmefence » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:29 am

Texasmark wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
Texasmark wrote:3 weeks ago my Houston Black Clay was unsuitable for anything but splitting open and producing very large, deep cracks. After the light rains we have had for the past week, the surface is softening up whereby it COULD accept light seeds like Oats.

If I were to do as you suggest with my soil as it is today, not when hard, I'd broadcast thick, bag per acre since feed oats are readily available, cheap, and grow out just fine, rake with a spiked toothed harrow, and then run your rotary cutter. That ought to work. The harrow will put some dirt on some of them, the clippings will keep it there and help to retain any moisture, plus reducing sun effects of heat and moisture reduction, and the large volume of seed stock should give you a good stand even if you have low yield on the seeds sprouting.

I drill 4+ bu of oats to the acre, and if it stays dry and hot I'll be re planning. The main problem is moisture, established bahia grass pasture has roots down to 50 inches, and is sucking most of the ground moisture up before the oats. Planting before the grass goes dormant is risky, even with a no - till drill.

Sounds like a lot of seeds. Don't know what a bushel weighs, maybe about one bags worth. I am preparing to plant winter coverage as I type and the grass has been dormant for at least a month. It's recovering slightly with this moisture but I answered the question thinking about what I would do, right now if under the same conditions with what knowledge was presented.

I have some light areas of Bahia and it's dormant as are my Coastal pastures and everything else...before this recent show of moisture. However, with the weather upheavals, and this time of year that's what is needed to get the winter crops going, September is the planting month here, chances are good enough that we will get adequate moisture for seeds to sprout and develop...so planting it is.

Having been born and raised on the Texas Gulf Coast, I didn't like hurricanes, but where I am now, they are necessary for winter crops and I (selfishly) look forward to some coming my way.

like grit I I usually drill 125-150 punds per acre. 50 pounds is not going to give much of a stand just slinging and scratching. the past couple weeks being the exception. when it rains 11 daysstraight anything will work . lol
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:36 am

Bushel of oats weighs 32 lbs.
1 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Texasmark » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:37 am

callmefence wrote:
Texasmark wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:I drill 4+ bu of oats to the acre, and if it stays dry and hot I'll be re planning. The main problem is moisture, established bahia grass pasture has roots down to 50 inches, and is sucking most of the ground moisture up before the oats. Planting before the grass goes dormant is risky, even with a no - till drill.

Sounds like a lot of seeds. Don't know what a bushel weighs, maybe about one bags worth. I am preparing to plant winter coverage as I type and the grass has been dormant for at least a month. It's recovering slightly with this moisture but I answered the question thinking about what I would do, right now if under the same conditions with what knowledge was presented.

I have some light areas of Bahia and it's dormant as are my Coastal pastures and everything else...before this recent show of moisture. However, with the weather upheavals, and this time of year that's what is needed to get the winter crops going, September is the planting month here, chances are good enough that we will get adequate moisture for seeds to sprout and develop...so planting it is.

Having been born and raised on the Texas Gulf Coast, I didn't like hurricanes, but where I am now, they are necessary for winter crops and I (selfishly) look forward to some coming my way.

like grit I I usually drill 125-150 punds per acre. 50 pounds is not going to give much of a stand just slinging and scratching. the past couple weeks being the exception. when it rains 11 daysstraight anything will work . lol

Interesting. I guess that explains why my JD drill has such a long scale. I usually work 6-12 on the gate. Looking at the length of the teeth, I'm working the first fourth of the gauge......I don't even know what number corresponds to full open. On something like SS I can't imagine what I'd be up against if I moved up to even half way.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:28 am

Texasmark wrote:
callmefence wrote:
Texasmark wrote:

Interesting. I guess that explains why my JD drill has such a long scale. I usually work 6-12 on the gate. Looking at the length of the teeth, I'm working the first fourth of the gauge......I don't even know what number corresponds to full open. On something like SS I can't imagine what I'd be up against if I moved up to even half way.

I run my JD DRILL on 30 which is in the center of the scale. I took a Dremel tool and made notches every 10 teeth.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Texasmark » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:55 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Texasmark wrote:
callmefence wrote:like grit I I usually drill 125-150 punds per acre. 50 pounds is not going to give much of a stand just slinging and scratching. the past couple weeks being the exception. when it rains 11 daysstraight anything will work . lol

I run my JD DRILL on 30 which is in the center of the scale. I took a Dremel tool and made notches every 10 teeth.

Mine has a number at 8, 16, and so on with marks like on a ruler between. Each scribe mark is notched so I can select from any number.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:22 pm

Texasmark wrote:Mine has a number at 8, 16, and so on with marks like on a ruler between. Each scribe mark is notched so I can select from any number.

Every grain drill I have used does have a table under a box lid with lbs. per acre vs. setting no. by seed type.
0 x
Stocker Steve

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:52 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Texasmark wrote:Mine has a number at 8, 16, and so on with marks like on a ruler between. Each scribe mark is notched so I can select from any number.

Every grain drill I have used does have a table under a box lid with lbs. per acre vs. setting no. by seed type.

Me too Steve. And it seems like they get 95%of the settings right. But then there’s always one....
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:55 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:

Yeah, and some were printed on paper decal and long gone....
1 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”