how to identify bermuda grass????

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Texas Gal
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 497
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:49 pm
Location: Montague County, TX

how to identify bermuda grass????

Postby Texas Gal » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:12 am

We recently purchased some property that has a hay meadow . There's some bermuda grass in it. The problem is I don't know if it's common or improved of some sort. It's started growing since we've finally had some rain here. At this time there's noseedheads yet. Is there any easy way to ID it???? The lady who owned it previously is 90+ and doesn't remember; her daughter hasn't lived there in 35 years so she doesn't know.
0 x

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 22751
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: how to identify bermuda grass????

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:27 am

Picture would help.
1 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

Texas Gal
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 497
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:49 pm
Location: Montague County, TX

Re: how to identify bermuda grass????

Postby Texas Gal » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:09 am

I apologize for the confusion - I was thinking more along the lines of testing of some sort.

I'll try to get a good picture of it.
0 x

User avatar
M-5
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6913
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:41 pm
Location: AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers

Re: how to identify bermuda grass????

Postby M-5 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:13 am

Texas Gal wrote:I apologize for the confusion - I was thinking more along the lines of testing of some sort.

I'll try to get a good picture of it.


The structure is pretty much the same . leaf width is the main difference. If it was improved and has not been taken care of the common will take over and choke out the improved variety.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1098
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:46 pm

Re: how to identify bermuda grass????

Postby Ebenezer » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:23 pm

Common bermuda runs a wide berth of type, height, leaf, production, quality, ... Some can look close to the old (original) coastal bermuda. Other end of spectrum - sorry for grazing at best.
0 x

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 579
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:56 pm
Location: N. Texas

Re: how to identify bermuda grass????

Postby Texasmark » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:25 am

Common is good for your lawn in drought prone areas where St. Augustine doesn't like the soil PH or moisture level. At least around here, it is a short growing grass, seldom gets up high enough to roll for hay, great survivability rate due to deep roots, good livestock grazing, good nutrition.

Coastal has been the standby for many 10's of years. Has to be planted, grows tall and thick with proper management,makes great hay/grazing, good nutrition, very equine digestible.

Tifton 85 is becoming more popular and some BTOs have some very large commercial haying operations. I never ran it so can't comment further. I was going to get some "sprigged" while a crew was over this way doing a BTO place but declined. Why? Dunno?????
0 x

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 22751
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: how to identify bermuda grass????

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:37 am

Texasmark wrote:Common is good for your lawn in drought prone areas where St. Augustine doesn't like the soil PH or moisture level. At least around here, it is a short growing grass, seldom gets up high enough to roll for hay, great survivability rate due to deep roots, good livestock grazing, good nutrition.

Coastal has been the standby for many 10's of years. Has to be planted, grows tall and thick with proper management,makes great hay/grazing, good nutrition, very equine digestible.

Tifton 85 is becoming more popular and some BTOs have some very large commercial haying operations. I never ran it so can't comment further. I was going to get some "sprigged" while a crew was over this way doing a BTO place but declined. Why? Dunno?????



I planted this whole place in common years ago. Made good pasture fast, I knew Bahia would win out over time and did. Planted Red River as a test. Now Red River is smothering out the Bahia.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 579
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:56 pm
Location: N. Texas

Re: how to identify bermuda grass????

Postby Texasmark » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:49 am

You are over there in Sandy Loam. I'm in Houston Black Clay. Night and day! Only thing my soil is good for is things like Cotton, Sorghum-Sudan, deep rooted Coastal, and other crops that like to grow during the hot summer months. It retains moisture in the root zone as good as anything. (Opinion based on BTDT)

Over the years I have leveled my lawn numerous times with Sandy Loam and you can easily tell where I did it. The SL on the surface, isolates the clay from the sun, assists it in retaining it's moisture and the grass thrives, especially ST A. Even though I am slightly alkaline, the SL may push me over the center and put me into the acid region and grasses may like that better. Course root development is much easier/faster in the looser soil.
0 x

User avatar
Rafter S
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4118
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:13 am
Location: Grimes County, TX

Re: how to identify bermuda grass????

Postby Rafter S » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:46 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
Texasmark wrote:Common is good for your lawn in drought prone areas where St. Augustine doesn't like the soil PH or moisture level. At least around here, it is a short growing grass, seldom gets up high enough to roll for hay, great survivability rate due to deep roots, good livestock grazing, good nutrition.

Coastal has been the standby for many 10's of years. Has to be planted, grows tall and thick with proper management,makes great hay/grazing, good nutrition, very equine digestible.

Tifton 85 is becoming more popular and some BTOs have some very large commercial haying operations. I never ran it so can't comment further. I was going to get some "sprigged" while a crew was over this way doing a BTO place but declined. Why? Dunno?????



I planted this whole place in common years ago. Made good pasture fast, I knew Bahia would win out over time and did. Planted Red River as a test. Now Red River is smothering out the Bahia.


What's "Red River"?
0 x
Life is too short to drink cheap beer or dance with ugly women.

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4741
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: how to identify bermuda grass????

Postby callmefence » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:18 am

Rafter S wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:
Texasmark wrote:Common is good for your lawn in drought prone areas where St. Augustine doesn't like the soil PH or moisture level. At least around here, it is a short growing grass, seldom gets up high enough to roll for hay, great survivability rate due to deep roots, good livestock grazing, good nutrition.

Coastal has been the standby for many 10's of years. Has to be planted, grows tall and thick with proper management,makes great hay/grazing, good nutrition, very equine digestible.

Tifton 85 is becoming more popular and some BTOs have some very large commercial haying operations. I never ran it so can't comment further. I was going to get some "sprigged" while a crew was over this way doing a BTO place but declined. Why? Dunno?????



I planted this whole place in common years ago. Made good pasture fast, I knew Bahia would win out over time and did. Planted Red River as a test. Now Red River is smothering out the Bahia.


What's "Red River"?


Crabgrass.
2 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.




You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

okiek
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:30 am
Location: Oklahoma

Re: how to identify bermuda grass????

Postby okiek » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:29 am

I called OSU and asked this question once and was told there is absolutely no test to determine variety. You can pretty much tell the common from the hay varieties, as the improved grows much more "upright." However I have Coastal in a field directly beside Midland 99 and I can't see any difference in the two.
0 x

User avatar
JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3528
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:51 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: how to identify bermuda grass????

Postby JMJ Farms » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:32 pm

A good extension agent should be able to look at it and tell you.

Locals have had trouble getting 85 established here, even when sprigging under pivots and follow recommendations from UGA. Really don’t know why. But if you ever get it established you’ve got something. It will flat turn out the tonnage. Lot of Alicia here. My preference for my neck of the woods is Russell.
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 579
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:56 pm
Location: N. Texas

Re: how to identify bermuda grass????

Postby Texasmark » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:25 am

okiek wrote:I called OSU and asked this question once and was told there is absolutely no test to determine variety. You can pretty much tell the common from the hay varieties, as the improved grows much more "upright." However I have Coastal in a field directly beside Midland 99 and I can't see any difference in the two.
Disagree the eyeball doesn't lie. Put both in a field and you can tell...BTDT
0 x

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 579
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:56 pm
Location: N. Texas

Re: how to identify bermuda grass????

Postby Texasmark » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:27 am

Texasmark wrote:
okiek wrote:I called OSU and asked this question once and was told there is absolutely no test to determine variety. You can pretty much tell the common from the hay varieties, as the improved grows much more "upright." However I have Coastal in a field directly beside Midland 99 and I can't see any difference in the two.
Disagree. Put both in a field and you can tell; at least I can...BTDT
0 x


Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests