Goat weeds

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Goat weeds

Postby Bfields30 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:58 pm

Few questions on Goat weed in my pastures is it too late to kill it how do i kill it without killing other grasses. Can I mow it buddy told me it’s too late they really came up in the past two weeks . He said I could mow too late I spray older guy told me summer time is best time to spray for it. I need some help
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Re: Goat weeds

Postby M-5 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:59 pm

Grazon will kill it . if it has not gone to seed its not too late .
1 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:11 pm

Bfields30 wrote:Few questions on Goat weed in my pastures is it too late to kill it how do i kill it without killing other grasses. Can I mow it buddy told me it’s too late they really came up in the past two weeks . He said I could mow too late I spray older guy told me summer time is best time to spray for it. I need some help

I've used Grazon with excellent results. I spray early though as soon as I see them young and tender.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:31 pm

Its probably seeded already. Spraying will only help you this year, at this point. Down side to shredding is it may pop back up this year if it stays warm.

I had some in a pasture with some old grass and dead huisaches and just other junk. When it got real dry I figured it was a good time to shred out some of that old grass and make it look pretty. With the rain we had the goat weed is popping back already. It reminded me why I hate shredding. :x It does look pretty for the moment though.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:51 pm

Its really to late do much of anything this year, but if you decide to spray it, use a cheap herbicide like plain ole 2 4 D. You won't get your moneys worth from a good product like Grazon. Paying up for a product that has soil residual at this time of year is a waste of money and might have a detrimental effect on your cool season grass that has yet to come up.

On another note, look for next year to be a bad weed year. The weeds like the grass did not do much this spring and summer do to lack of moisture and a cooler than normal April. Now with the big rains they are making up for lost time. They will dump a bunch of seed this fall and be ready when things return to normal which will probably be next April. Mother nature knows what she doing.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:07 pm

bird dog wrote:Its really to late do much of anything this year, but if you decide to spray it, use a cheap herbicide like plain ole 2 4 D. You won't get your moneys worth from a good product like Grazon. Paying up for a product that has soil residual at this time of year is a waste of money and might have a detrimental effect on your cool season grass that has yet to come up.

On another note, look for next year to be a bad weed year. The weeds like the grass did not do much this spring and summer do to lack of moisture and a cooler than normal April. Now with the big rains they are making up for lost time. They will dump a bunch of seed this fall and be ready when things return to normal which will probably be next April. Mother nature knows what she doing.

I'm going to disagree a little....never to early or late to use a "good product".
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

BlondeD
Beginner
Beginner

Postby BlondeD » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:48 pm

Yeah......it's getting late and I'm sure some seeds are set. To me now would just depend on how many weeds are present....it may be never too early or late, but time that's my limiting factor. But some "control" now and attacking them earlier next year would be my thoughts. In fact, I wiped a few leftovers just 2 weeks ago....will be scouting next spring/summer for survivors.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:57 pm

How much Grazon does it take to kill just goat weed? 1pt/ac? Probably close to a wash on cost of shredding vs spraying.
0 x

BC
GURU
GURU

Postby BC » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:00 pm

Brute 23 wrote:How much Grazon does it take to kill just goat weed? 1pt/ac? Probably close to a wash on cost of shredding vs spraying.

Brute, the figures are old but it has always been cheaper to spray. Besides as you said the weeds pop back up in 10 days.

http://forages.tamu.edu/PDF/mowvsherb.pdf
1 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:25 pm

Look down close to the ground, between the weeds. If you see any young goat weed, it's not too late to spray but you may need to 'top' the mature ones first. A lot depends on what the weather does in the next 3 months. If hot weather hangs around, this year's goat weed seed may germinate before now and the 1st frost, but we never know that until after the fact. Grazon will kill what is standing and hopefully enough will make it down to the soil enough to be a pre-emergent for any seed that sprout.
I have doubts whether Grazon that is sprayed now, would have much if any effect on emerging seedlings next spring as goat weed here doesn't usually come up until late May early June, especially if we have a wet winter..
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bfields30 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:27 am

Brute 23 wrote:Its probably seeded already. Spraying will only help you this year, at this point. Down side to shredding is it may pop back up this year if it stays warm.

I had some in a pasture with some old grass and dead huisaches and just other junk. When it got real dry I figured it was a good time to shred out some of that old grass and make it look pretty. With the rain we had the goat weed is popping back already. It reminded me why I hate shredding. :x It does look pretty for the moment though.
Brute in one pasture the cows rarely go in it but it’s just terrible I think I might just cut it and see how that goes.
1 x

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bfields30 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:35 am

If I do use graze on how much would I need? How long it takes to work
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:40 am

Bfields30 wrote:If I do use graze on how much would I need? How long it takes to work

I use 25oz per acre when spraying everything You will see results the next day. If spot spraying 1.6oz per gallon for my 25gallon sprayer
2 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:32 am

M-5 wrote:
Bfields30 wrote:If I do use graze on how much would I need? How long it takes to work

I use 25oz per acre when spraying everything You will see results the next day. If spot spraying 1.6oz per gallon for my 25gallon sprayer

Thats about right. 1.5pt/ac does a good job on weeds and makes a good run at huisache, mesquite, etc. 2pts/ac will really put a pop on the woody stuff. I can get 80% or better on the woody plants with 2 pts. Its like $3 per ac for that extra 1/2 pt.

This is 2pts/ac, 2 days after spraying with the boomless nozzle.

1 x

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bfields30 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:20 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
M-5 wrote:

Thats about right. 1.5pt/ac does a good job on weeds and makes a good run at huisache, mesquite, etc. 2pts/ac will really put a pop on the woody stuff. I can get 80% or better on the woody plants with 2 pts. Its like $3 per ac for that extra 1/2 pt.

This is 2pts/ac, 2 days after spraying with the boomless nozzle.

what sizes do they have it in?
0 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”