Goat weeds

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Re: Goat weeds

Postby Brute 23 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:02 pm

Bfields30 wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:
M-5 wrote:

I use 25oz per acre when spraying everything You will see results the next day. If spot spraying 1.6oz per gallon for my 25gallon sprayer

Thats about right. 1.5pt/ac does a good job on weeds and makes a good run at huisache, mesquite, etc. 2pts/ac will really put a pop on the woody stuff. I can get 80% or better on the woody plants with 2 pts. Its like $3 per ac for that extra 1/2 pt.

This is 2pts/ac, 2 days after spraying with the boomless nozzle.

what sizes do they have it in?

Sprayers? Ours is a pieced up old sprayer. Its an old Continental Belton tank and trailer. We put an 8 roller pto pump, the piping, 2" trailer hitch, a real jack, and a boom jet boomless nozzle. I've seen some decent ones to be purchased but most have cheesy pumps, tires, nozzles, etc. I would have to swap all that out.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:37 pm

lots of those older continental belton units laying around. Some of them had a mechanical agitator that seizes up during the off season and any you find nowadays would likely be junk for the most part. Might be able to salvage the tank and trailer then build your own from or on that.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:51 pm

greybeard wrote:lots of those older continental belton units laying around. Some of them had a mechanical agitator that seizes up during the off season and any you find nowadays would likely be junk for the most part. Might be able to salvage the tank and trailer then build your own from or on that.

Thats all we took. I gave a guy $300 for the tank and trailer. Ended up with about $1500 in it total.
0 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:09 pm

Brute,
How much better is that boomless nozzle vs. The small boom that comes stock on a fimco rig (the one with 3 nozzles, one in middle and at each end of tube). Is there a remarkable difference in your estimation?
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
Happy people build their inner world; unhappy people blame their outer world. -Dalai Lama

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:32 pm

bball wrote:Brute,
How much better is that boomless nozzle vs. The small boom that comes stock on a fimco rig (the one with 3 nozzles, one in middle and at each end of tube). Is there a remarkable difference in your estimation?

I don't have any experience with those to compare. All I can say is I have been extremely happy with the boom jet nozzle. I have sprayed some really thick stuff from goat weed to white and black brush, huisache, mesquite, yaupon, etc. You can get out and see the dampness on every thing. That's at like 12.5g/ ac, 4-5mph, also. 2pt to the ac Grazon Next gives me every bit of 80% or better kill.

Its amazing the difference after 2 years of spraying like that.
1 x

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:50 pm

Boom sprayers work better if your ground is flat and smooth. I have never had a place like that though so I have always used a boomless nozzle. I do have a boom sprayer on a 25 gallon tank I sometimes use to get areas I missed.
1 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:04 pm

It depends on what you are spraying. I rent a 1000g sprayer with booms. It puts out 25g/ ac. For weeds and small 1st year growth it is more efficient with the foam markers and stuff. You can spray in some pretty good wind with it also. If you start getting in to husache, mesquite (the woody stuff) that are 2-3' tall... second year bushes... it doesn't get quite as good of coverage as the boom less nozzle. I would say its more like a 60% kill on the woody plants.

My ideal rig would be a 1000g trailer with hydraulic booms, that you can spray individually, and a boom less nozzle, with a pto pump, all controlled from the cab... and a pretty girl in a bikini to fill it for me. :)
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:19 pm

Here is some stuff I sprayed last year. I snapped a pic as I was spraying it this year. Those are some pretty good size bushes. That is where that boom less nozzle shines IMO. Even when I run down ROWs Im getting 3-4' up the sides also. You can'y do that or kill these bushes with a normal boom sprayer like the one I rent.

1 x

Rajela
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Rajela » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:57 pm

Don't waste your money on Grazon...............24D will take care of goat weed...
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:09 pm

TexasBred wrote:
bird dog wrote:Its really to late do much of anything this year, but if you decide to spray it, use a cheap herbicide like plain ole 2 4 D. You won't get your moneys worth from a good product like Grazon. Paying up for a product that has soil residual at this time of year is a waste of money and might have a detrimental effect on your cool season grass that has yet to come up.

On another note, look for next year to be a bad weed year. The weeds like the grass did not do much this spring and summer do to lack of moisture and a cooler than normal April. Now with the big rains they are making up for lost time. They will dump a bunch of seed this fall and be ready when things return to normal which will probably be next April. Mother nature knows what she doing.

I'm going to disagree a little....never to early or late to use a "good product".

birddog is exactly right. theres no advantage to using grazon over 24d at this time of the year.unless you want to kill any chance of winter clover. read the label and do your research and you will understand. fwiw 24d is a good product as well.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:37 pm

bball wrote:Brute,

I have both that short Fimco boom and a teejet boomless nozzle on my 330gal sprayer--I use a control valve to direct flow to one or the other.
The main difference between the 2 is the ability to easily shut one side off on the short Fimco but that the boomless nozzle can deliver more overall volume at the same or faster ground speed, and with the nozzles I have on the Tjet, the pattern swath is wider. Droplet size is larger for the teejet nozzle as well...less drift.
I set the boomless cluster nozzle up above and a few inches behind the Fimco so the piping of one wouldn't interfere with the spray of the other......if that makes sense.
Imagetemporary image upload

Imageimage websites upload

(It's about time to re plank that trailer and probably replace the tank....UV is doing a job on the top of the tank)
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

Covet Not!

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:43 pm

Do you use the Fimco for the sole purpose of being able to spray one side our the other?
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:12 am

No, I use the Fimco most of the time, especially when weeds aren't as thick (like this year was) and I don't need the higher volume the cluster nozzle puts out. Early on, I used the cluster more, when I was getting rid of the thousands and thousands of tallow saplings that had sprouted up. (I could change the size of the nozzles in the cluster , but just never got around to ordering smaller ones.)

Keep in mind, I'm only keeping up with 124 acres and don't even spray all of that.
The Fimco will cover about 25' per pass at 45-55psi with a 6 roller pump.
The Fimco is kinda fragile tho......you have to be careful what kind of brush you run over. Except the tube, it's all plastic.
Someone here at CT has built one using the Fimco and is pressuring it with a 3.5gpm electric pump. I don't remember who.
BTW, I got the Fimco at Producers in Bryan and the cluster nozzle at a local hardware/farm supply store. If I remember right, they both cost about the same amount. The left/right Fimco nozzles run about $50 ea and the center nozzle is $15. I bought it complete for $150 I think in 2014.
The cluster nozzle (complete with inserts) was right at $195.
0 x

Covet Not!

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:18 am

Got ya. Thanks :tiphat:
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:39 am

callmefence wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
bird dog wrote:Its really to late do much of anything this year, but if you decide to spray it, use a cheap herbicide like plain ole 2 4 D. You won't get your moneys worth from a good product like Grazon. Paying up for a product that has soil residual at this time of year is a waste of money and might have a detrimental effect on your cool season grass that has yet to come up.

On another note, look for next year to be a bad weed year. The weeds like the grass did not do much this spring and summer do to lack of moisture and a cooler than normal April. Now with the big rains they are making up for lost time. They will dump a bunch of seed this fall and be ready when things return to normal which will probably be next April. Mother nature knows what she doing.

I'm going to disagree a little....never to early or late to use a "good product".

birddog is exactly right. theres no advantage to using grazon over 24d at this time of the year.unless you want to kill any chance of winter clover. read the label and do your research and you will understand. fwiw 24d is a good product as well.

I don't have any clover.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”