East Texas hay

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: East Texas hay

Post by Bfields30 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:39 pm

MtnCows93 wrote:do a hay test and see how much protein its got, if it has 7% its good enough for dry cows. i usually keep a bale out about 2 weeks before i think i need to feed hay. the'll either eat it which means they need it or they wont eat it for a few weeks and i keep it out in the spring until they refuse to eat any more. i think its better for the pasture in the long run. times of hay shortage is a different story

I’m gonna buy another this week and see how it is and how long it takes them to eat it but I think with the rain and it being in the barn I think they will just eat that in a couple days

Lucky
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Lucky » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:42 pm

If you have green grass like most of east Texas does right now I probably wouldn’t put any hay out unless you just have some to feed up. I think you are one the right track with hay and grain. If you can get super sacks for $200 a ton and don’t mind buckets you will save some money. A bucket of feed is right at 25#’s so 2 buckets 3 days a week should do them.

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Bfields30 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:50 pm

Lucky wrote:If you have green grass like most of east Texas does right now I probably wouldn’t put any hay out unless you just have some to feed up. I think you are one the right track with hay and grain. If you can get super sacks for $200 a ton and don’t mind buckets you will save some money. A bucket of feed is right at 25#’s so 2 buckets 3 days a week should do them.

Got ya I’ll do that

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Bfields30 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:42 am

So I’m kinda in a dilemma with getting hay a guy that delivers from Mississippi lives in Texas told me he could deliver me some from his way back from Mississippi for 65 dollars a bale and I can unload however much I want. Another guy has some 35/40 mins away from me 30
Bales but told me he can’t get to them until next week because of rain there barn kept but it’s way to wet but he told me he let me know this next week. And i found someone with corn stalk hay 45 mins away 55 dollars a bale delivered per bale or get cow hay for 70 dollars a bale 4x5

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:10 am

Mighty late in the season to be trying to get hay. Some of those prices are going to make those welfare cows before winter is over.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Bfields30 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:47 am

Caustic Burno wrote:Mighty late in the season to be trying to get hay. Some of those prices are going to make those welfare cows before winter is over.

My neighbor told he was gonna sell me a good amount of his them all of sudden said he didn’t have enough to sell me

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:12 pm

Bfields30 wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:Mighty late in the season to be trying to get hay. Some of those prices are going to make those welfare cows before winter is over.

My neighbor told he was gonna sell me a good amount of his them all of sudden said he didn’t have enough to sell me

Well you paid the stupid tax on that deal. If you don’t have your own hay equipment you need to buy early.
IMO you need to have at least one years hay on hand at all times.

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Bfields30 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:59 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Bfields30 wrote:

Well you paid the stupid tax on that deal. If you don’t have your own hay equipment you need to buy early.
IMO you need to have at least one years hay on hand at all times.

Yeah I know I learned that the hard way

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Texasmark » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:28 pm

Bfields30 wrote:Does anyone know the price of feeding vs hay. My neighbor is selling hay for 45 dollars a bale

What size bale? How tight? 4x5 vs 5x6 is half the size if all things are equal otherwise.

DCA farm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by DCA farm » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:48 pm

Always been told 1 roll per cow per month I've let pasture stock pile pretty good hoping I can get a lot more grazing time before I have to rely just on hay also
Have wheat and rye grass on the way

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Bfields30 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:11 pm

DCA farm wrote:Always been told 1 roll per cow per month I've let pasture stock pile pretty good hoping I can get a lot more grazing time before I have to rely just on hay also
Have wheat and rye grass on the way

Yeah I have 5 heifers 3 preg cows right now

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Bfields30 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:50 pm

45 dollar last year tifton hay or I can get 65 dollar second cutting of coastal and bahi? I’m going to look at the last year tifton today to see how it is what would you guys do?

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:01 pm

Bfields30 wrote:45 dollar last year tifton hay or I can get 65 dollar second cutting of coastal and bahi? I’m going to look at the last year tifton today to see how it is what would you guys do?

You can supply a cows nutrition needs on three pounds of feed a day. Now you need another 27 lbs to fill her up.
If the last year is good nothing wrong with it. I will be feeding last year’s hay.
Penciling cows out on 65 dollar hay is getting close to operating in the red.
You will have 260 bucks a cow inputs on hay alone.
Is that for 4x5 rolls?

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Bfields30 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:36 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Bfields30 wrote:45 dollar last year tifton hay or I can get 65 dollar second cutting of coastal and bahi? I’m going to look at the last year tifton today to see how it is what would you guys do?

You can supply a cows nutrition needs on three pounds of feed a day. Now you need another 27 lbs to fill her up.
If the last year is good nothing wrong with it. I will be feeding last year’s hay.
Penciling cows out on 65 dollar hay is getting close to operating in the red.
You will have 260 bucks a cow inputs on hay alone.
Is that for 4x5 rolls?
yes 4x5

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:40 pm

Wow that is scalping prices.
Neighbor bought good fertilized hay last week from my Hay man.
He paid fifty a roll delivered.