Loss of our Native Hardwoods

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
User avatar
Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10105
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:57 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 672 times
Been thanked: 689 times

Loss of our Native Hardwoods

Post by Bright Raven » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:04 am

The woods in Kentucky are a relic of what they were when I was raised on the family farm.

Gone:
White Oak
White Ash
American Elm
Beech

The rest of the trees in our woods are unhealthy. Every Boxelder is rotted out. The wild cherry, Yellow Poplar, even the Hackberry are funky. If you can find a cottonwood, they are ancient and ready to depart. The biggest tree on my farm and our family farm are huge old cottonwood. The limbs are mostly gone. Only life left is a few branches on the trunk.

I suppose it is a whole host of factors.


"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 24336
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas
Has thanked: 211 times
Been thanked: 625 times

Re: Loss of our Native Hardwoods

Post by Caustic Burno » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:26 am

Again nothing new we have done this to ourselves.
We imported the Chestnut blight and fired the starter pistol.
Out forestry management or lack of it destroyed 4 million acres of subtropical rain forest here.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

M.Magis
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1770
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:29 pm
Location: Cambridge, Ohio
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Loss of our Native Hardwoods

Post by M.Magis » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:02 am

What happened to the white oak and beech? They dominate the woods here in Ohio, or at least my part of Ohio.

User avatar
Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10105
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:57 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 672 times
Been thanked: 689 times

Re: Loss of our Native Hardwoods

Post by Bright Raven » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:09 am

M.Magis wrote:What happened to the white oak and beech? They dominate the woods here in Ohio, or at least my part of Ohio.


I am surprised. You are not that far from here. The White Oaks started going out 15 years ago. I think it was either a borer or blight. Beech have been dying off since I was a kid. There is only one left on this farm and I like to visit that spot. There are none over on the family farm.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

ddd75
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2433
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:47 am
Location: KY
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: Loss of our Native Hardwoods

Post by ddd75 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:17 am

whites oaks were healthy and growing great on my lewis farm.. same for beeches..


have beeches growing here.. ash is the only thing dead. have some really old big cottonwoods as well.. only a few red oaks here.. maple is probably the most dominate tree around here i'd say.

i was lucky i have a few nice locust groves

User avatar
Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10105
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:57 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 672 times
Been thanked: 689 times

Re: Loss of our Native Hardwoods

Post by Bright Raven » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:28 am

ddd75 wrote:whites oaks were healthy and growing great on my lewis farm.. same for beeches..


have beeches growing here.. ash is the only thing dead. have some really old big cottonwoods as well.. only a few red oaks here.. maple is probably the most dominate tree around here i'd say.

i was lucky i have a few nice locust groves


As you go east particularly up around Morehead, the beech are healthy. I am not sure what is the factor eliminating the bench in north central Kentucky.

I have locust but again. They don't seem healthy.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8977
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 8:28 am
Location: Central Minnesota
Has thanked: 89 times
Been thanked: 81 times

Re: Loss of our Native Hardwoods

Post by Stocker Steve » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:34 am

Not sure about the beetles and the blight, but out wintering and higher stocking density are problems for some types of trees...
Stocker Steve

User avatar
sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5098
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:17 pm
Location: Southern IL
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 415 times

Re: Loss of our Native Hardwoods

Post by sim.-ang.king » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:55 am

You wanna come get some of these swamp, and shingle oaks? We're over run with them, and they look nice on the outside. :lol:
I'm gearing up to go knock down about 20-30 white oaks this winter. Other loggers around will probably knock down another couple thousand, along with any walnut, ash, cherry, and red oak.
Why should I apologize for becoming a monster?
Did anyone apologize for making me one?

User avatar
Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10105
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:57 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 672 times
Been thanked: 689 times

Re: Loss of our Native Hardwoods

Post by Bright Raven » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:02 am

sim.-ang.king wrote:You wanna come get some of these swamp, and shingle oaks? We're over run with them, and they look nice on the outside. :lol:
I'm gearing up to go knock down about 20-30 white oaks this winter. Other loggers around will probably knock down another couple thousand, along with any walnut, ash, cherry, and red oak.


I have a friend in mid-central Indiana. He has a sawmill. He brings in logs from Indiana and Illinois. Your woods are much healthier than here. I have assumed as you go south from your latitude the fungal and insects infestations are worse.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3006
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 10:17 pm
Location: Western KY
Been thanked: 80 times

Re: Loss of our Native Hardwoods

Post by Lucky_P » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:35 am

Cows are notoriously poor forest managers.
Hoof compaction, browsing/rubbing seedlings. etc., causes more damage and economic loss than the forage provided by running cows 'in the woods'; stats I've seen put forward say it takes about 40 acres of typical Southeastern forest to support 1 cow-calf pair.
Our cattle are fenced off from the 85 acres of hardwood forest, except for a 40-ft shade strip we allowed them when we fenced this place.
Oaks, hickories are fine. too many maples to suit me. EAB not here yet, but its just a matter of time, and the ash will be gone

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1762
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Piedmont of SC
Has thanked: 181 times
Been thanked: 377 times

Re: Loss of our Native Hardwoods

Post by Ebenezer » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:43 am

Trees age out, too. Clearcut and let them start new. Not the acceptable answer but it works. In 100+/- years, you'll be glad that you did.

User avatar
Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10105
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:57 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 672 times
Been thanked: 689 times

Re: Loss of our Native Hardwoods

Post by Bright Raven » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:00 am

Ebenezer wrote:Trees age out, too. Clearcut and let them start new. Not the acceptable answer but it works. In 100+/- years, you'll be glad that you did.


:lol: I doubt that. But somebody might.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

ddd75
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2433
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:47 am
Location: KY
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: Loss of our Native Hardwoods

Post by ddd75 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:44 am

Lucky_P wrote:Cows are notoriously poor forest managers.
Hoof compaction, browsing/rubbing seedlings. etc., causes more damage and economic loss than the forage provided by running cows 'in the woods'; stats I've seen put forward say it takes about 40 acres of typical Southeastern forest to support 1 cow-calf pair.
Our cattle are fenced off from the 85 acres of hardwood forest, except for a 40-ft shade strip we allowed them when we fenced this place.
Oaks, hickories are fine. too many maples to suit me. EAB not here yet, but its just a matter of time, and the ash will be gone



depending on the time of the year and conditions.. cattle can really benefit a woods.

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4287
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Yantis, Texas
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 118 times

Re: Loss of our Native Hardwoods

Post by hurleyjd » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:46 pm


User avatar
sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5098
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:17 pm
Location: Southern IL
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 415 times

Re: Loss of our Native Hardwoods

Post by sim.-ang.king » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:05 pm

Calling it deforestation based amount of virgin forest compared to total woodlands, is like saying since there isn't any Aztec maize, harvesting field corn is hurting corn population.
Why should I apologize for becoming a monster?
Did anyone apologize for making me one?

Post Reply