Horse hay

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
MtnCows93
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Horse hay

Post by MtnCows93 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:06 am

on my uncles place a few years ago a woman rented it to put 4 horses on, those horses winters hay consisted of some old 4x4 rolls that were half rotted from sittin outside. she brings a gooseneck load and just slings all the bales out in the pasture and the horses didnt see another bale for 3 months. they didnt die

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Post by farmerjan » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:00 am

We also get the "horse people" who come and want a truckload, then don't have the money, or want the chew you down on price. We have several people we have been selling to for over 20 years and we keep them. We have exchanged bales if they find some junk or mold as it can happen. Or we have told them up front that they might find some johnson grass and have given a few extra bales to compensate. We no longer take cold calls for hay. They have to be referred by someone, that we know, that won't send some jerk. Had one we had to basically threaten to get to pay us. So now it is payment on delivery before it comes off the trailer except to these few tried and true. If someone wants hay bad enough, they can come and we give them A BALE. They take it home, and see if their animals will eat it. Then we talk. We have some pure orchard grass stands, that are planted specifically for these horse hay people. One has some legit problems with clover and foundered horses, but she is a good customer, and will take some of the "less pure" with just pasture grass in it. So we take care of her. The biggest problem we have is getting help to make it. Stacking on the wagons, or loading on the trailer and unloading at those couple of tried and true customers. But they pay and help to unload if they are home. Often we will go unload and no one is there, and they will call the next day and say, how many bales and what do we owe and send a check right away.

Unfortunately, there are way too many not like them. Mostly now, we try to get them to come get it off the wagons, or directly dropped in the field. That way they can put what they want on their truck and pay and it is theirs. Done. I don't have the patience to deal with the ones that are jerks and if they don't like it, or whine or b##tch and complain, I tell them to leave it, my cows will eat it just fine. When their horses get hungry, they can pay more once it is in the barn. If we put it on the wagon, and they don't get it out of the field, and we have to take the wagon to the barn, it costs more. End of discussion.
We don't HAVE to deal with them, can sell all we make and then some, so we are getting pretty picky about who we sell to. It is a good income for us though and goes a long way towards paying for the costs of making all our hay so we do deal with some of it.

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Post by ddd75 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:42 am

MtnCows93 wrote:
ddd75 wrote:i know a lady who spent 12.50/sq bale for her horses. she spotted a few clover leaves in it and asked me i I wanted it for .50 cents a bale.

I went and loaded up almost 300 bales. it was pretty good hay but nothing great. 12.50.. wow..

haha thats great, i would have turned around and sold it to another horse lady!

i would of but i need the hay.. haha

I know a few guys who are pretty into selling the horse hay. They have people who complain and will have them come pick it back up. They'll go get it, then in a month they'll call wanting hay. They'll show them the same exact hay for 3/more per bale and they are like.. yes, I like this, I want it. Then they load up the same hay and deliver it again.

I also heard of one guy who sprays his with green dye. they really pay for that :lol2:

MtnCows93
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by MtnCows93 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:07 am

ddd75 wrote:
MtnCows93 wrote:
ddd75 wrote:i know a lady who spent 12.50/sq bale for her horses. she spotted a few clover leaves in it and asked me i I wanted it for .50 cents a bale.

I went and loaded up almost 300 bales. it was pretty good hay but nothing great. 12.50.. wow..

haha thats great, i would have turned around and sold it to another horse lady!

i would of but i need the hay.. haha

I know a few guys who are pretty into selling the horse hay. They have people who complain and will have them come pick it back up. They'll go get it, then in a month they'll call wanting hay. They'll show them the same exact hay for 3/more per bale and they are like.. yes, I like this, I want it. Then they load up the same hay and deliver it again.

I also heard of one guy who sprays his with green dye. they really pay for that :lol2:

lmao thats too funny

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jogeephus » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:34 am

ddd75 wrote:I also heard of one guy who sprays his with green dye. they really pay for that :lol2:

A guy here does that too. Buys cheap round bales and unrolls them with a modified peanut inverter and feeds the hay into the square baler just before after its sprayed with green dye.

You probably not going to believe this but he used to be an attorney till he was disbarred. (Yeah, I find it hard to believe an attorney can actually be disbarred but obviously they can be.)
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Post by ga.prime » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:33 pm

That's unprecedented.
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Post by farmerjan » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:38 pm

I wouldn't buy anything from the disbarred attorney with the way he is doing his hay.... look at his hay practices... that's an indication to me that he has no ethics or anything....WOW... no wonder he was disbarred....can't even imagine what he did to get kicked out.

DCA farm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by DCA farm » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:45 pm

I don't care where your at ill come get it I'll give you $1 and bale for it lol

DCA farm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by DCA farm » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:58 pm

I've done seen a horse eat tree bark so I don't believe that my horse won't eat this or that crap. Every horse I've ever been around would eat Anything you put out for em

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Post by farmerjan » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:52 pm

Even if horses have plenty to eat, they will still strip bark off trees. It is in part that they are bored... plus, a horse has a fairly simple digestive tract in that they normally, in the "wild" eat approx 18 to 20 hours a day. They do not "store" any of it like with an animal with a rumen.. so they are constantly looking for something to eat. If they get full, as often they will if given hay to eat continuously, they will get bored with the "same ole same ole" and go to chewing on other stuff. Have you ever seen the big rubber type balls that have the handle on them that they give to them to play with to alleviate the boredom??? Some are worse than others too.