Hay rings with the skirts at the bottom ?

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
User avatar
TCRanch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4126
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 am
Location: Winfield, KS
Has thanked: 729 times
Been thanked: 352 times

Re: Hay rings with the skirts at the bottom ?

Post by TCRanch » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:44 pm

cfpinz wrote:
sstterry wrote:
cfpinz wrote:
When you get a price on the bar and/or skirt kit I'd be curious to know what they are in your area.

I am not sure about the bar kit, but the skirt kit is $60.

https://www.tworiversks.coop/pages/custom.php?id=19999


Thanks!

Side note: you can't ask for better customer service than Two Rivers! They have never charged us extra for buying a Century ring pre-assembled, they go above and beyond to help you, active in the community (they always help sponsor events) and Norm & Dave always give me free Two Rivers hats :tiphat:

That said, curious how well the bar kit &/or skirt works so if anyone gets them please update.



User avatar
sstterry
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1520
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:04 am
Location: Bulls Gap, TN
Has thanked: 420 times
Been thanked: 251 times

Re: Hay rings with the skirts at the bottom ?

Post by sstterry » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:14 pm

TCRanch wrote:
cfpinz wrote:
sstterry wrote:I am not sure about the bar kit, but the skirt kit is $60.

https://www.tworiversks.coop/pages/custom.php?id=19999


Thanks!

Side note: you can't ask for better customer service than Two Rivers! They have never charged us extra for buying a Century ring pre-assembled, they go above and beyond to help you, active in the community (they always help sponsor events) and Norm & Dave always give me free Two Rivers hats :tiphat:

That said, curious how well the bar kit &/or skirt works so if anyone gets them please update.

I had to pay $25 at my local co-op for assembly. But glad I did :)

talltimber
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1341
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:29 pm
Location: Southeast Missouri
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: Hay rings with the skirts at the bottom ?

Post by talltimber » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:26 am

http://www.randclivestockequipment.com/products1.html


I think these are better than others that I have seen. I have five of them, three of which belonged to my Dad and Grandpa. They are probably 10-15 yrs old and can't tell apart from the two I bought a few yrs ago.

User avatar
TCRanch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4126
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 am
Location: Winfield, KS
Has thanked: 729 times
Been thanked: 352 times

Re: Hay rings with the skirts at the bottom ?

Post by TCRanch » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:58 am

sstterry wrote:
TCRanch wrote:
cfpinz wrote:
Thanks!

Side note: you can't ask for better customer service than Two Rivers! They have never charged us extra for buying a Century ring pre-assembled, they go above and beyond to help you, active in the community (they always help sponsor events) and Norm & Dave always give me free Two Rivers hats :tiphat:

That said, curious how well the bar kit &/or skirt works so if anyone gets them please update.

I had to pay $25 at my local co-op for assembly. But glad I did :)

We've assembled 2. It's a testament to the strength of our marriage. Oh, the profanities! Even if they did charge extra for assembly, I would gladly pay it.

User avatar
TCRanch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4126
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 am
Location: Winfield, KS
Has thanked: 729 times
Been thanked: 352 times

Re: Hay rings with the skirts at the bottom ?

Post by TCRanch » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:00 am

talltimber wrote:http://www.randclivestockequipment.com/products1.html


I think these are better than others that I have seen. I have five of them, three of which belonged to my Dad and Grandpa. They are probably 10-15 yrs old and can't tell apart from the two I bought a few yrs ago.

Those look pretty heavy-duty. Ever have an unfortunate incident with their heads getting stuck or a cow getting injured with her head between the slats? That would be my only concern.

elkwc
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1361
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:21 pm
Has thanked: 536 times
Been thanked: 79 times

Re: Hay rings with the skirts at the bottom ?

Post by elkwc » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:44 am

cfpinz wrote:
elkwc wrote:We are buying the poly feeders. Bought one Century feeder for 259 and a few from Atwoods for 224.00. Too early to make a fair comparison. The Century rep says a bar kit saves more hay than a skirt. The cone saves the most they say but costs much more. Plan to order a bar kit and try it.


When you get a price on the bar and/or skirt kit I'd be curious to know what they are in your area.


Plan to order obe Monday so will let you know price.

User avatar
sstterry
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1520
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:04 am
Location: Bulls Gap, TN
Has thanked: 420 times
Been thanked: 251 times

Re: Hay rings with the skirts at the bottom ?

Post by sstterry » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:40 am

talltimber wrote:http://www.randclivestockequipment.com/products1.html


I think these are better than others that I have seen. I have five of them, three of which belonged to my Dad and Grandpa. They are probably 10-15 yrs old and can't tell apart from the two I bought a few yrs ago.


I like the looks of those. do you know the cost? I can't any on the site.

talltimber
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1341
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:29 pm
Location: Southeast Missouri
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: Hay rings with the skirts at the bottom ?

Post by talltimber » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:11 pm

I have never had any trouble TC. They have practically as many models/dimensions as you would want. One of the older ones they got for the weaned calf pen, it's verticals are closer together. All the rest I have are a little wider.

sstterry, they are high, but can't find a price list now. I thought I had one somewhere or a pic of one. It's been a few yrs since I bought the last ones. MFA has a truck that goes by the MFA plant/shop where they are made and delivers to Sedalia I believe. They then sent them on the regular route truck to a dealer close to me. Worked out pretty good. They didn't have any on the lot at the dealer.

All I've seen around here have been the Century's. Bars too far apart, and way more flimsy due to that I think. These things are solid, and took load straps to get put together, pia. I can't remember for sure if we had to redrill/wallow out any pre drilled holes. Wasn't many of them, if we did.

I think these models I have are the 52-24 and 52-18, iirc.

jd720
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 260
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:08 pm
Location: Tennessee
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: Hay rings with the skirts at the bottom ?

Post by jd720 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:57 pm

I wound up just getting a regular Tarter gate feeder from TSC. I was going to go ahead and try one with the skirt but when I looked at them the skirted feeder was made with bigger diameter tubing but it was much thinner. The skirted one was probably 16 ga. and the one I got was 14 ga.

elkwc
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1361
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:21 pm
Has thanked: 536 times
Been thanked: 79 times

Re: Hay rings with the skirts at the bottom ?

Post by elkwc » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:41 pm

talltimber wrote:I have never had any trouble TC. They have practically as many models/dimensions as you would want. One of the older ones they got for the weaned calf pen, it's verticals are closer together. All the rest I have are a little wider.

sstterry, they are high, but can't find a price list now. I thought I had one somewhere or a pic of one. It's been a few yrs since I bought the last ones. MFA has a truck that goes by the MFA plant/shop where they are made and delivers to Sedalia I believe. They then sent them on the regular route truck to a dealer close to me. Worked out pretty good. They didn't have any on the lot at the dealer.

All I've seen around here have been the Century's. Bars too far apart, and way more flimsy due to that I think. These things are solid, and took load straps to get put together, pia. I can't remember for sure if we had to redrill/wallow out any pre drilled holes. Wasn't many of them, if we did.

I think these models I have are the 52-24 and 52-18, iirc.


The Century we have is very sturdy and has a 7 year full replacent warranty. I know two PB breeders using them in their bull pastures and they really like them. The issue we have is the weight of the good metal ones. And have never found a metal one with a warranty even the 600 dollar one we have.

User avatar
cfpinz
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5746
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:11 pm
Location: Virginia
Been thanked: 46 times

Re: Hay rings with the skirts at the bottom ?

Post by cfpinz » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:41 am

talltimber wrote:http://www.randclivestockequipment.com/products1.html


I think these are better than others that I have seen. I have five of them, three of which belonged to my Dad and Grandpa. They are probably 10-15 yrs old and can't tell apart from the two I bought a few yrs ago.


There are no distributors anywhere close to me for those feeders so I called and asked about the possibilities of getting set up as a dealer for them. I abandoned the idea, even at cost I couldn't see it being profitable in this area.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

elkwc
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1361
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:21 pm
Has thanked: 536 times
Been thanked: 79 times

Re: Hay rings with the skirts at the bottom ?

Post by elkwc » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:13 pm

Ordered the bar kit for the Century feeder today. I was driving but think it was $56.00. Should have it next week.

User avatar
sstterry
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1520
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:04 am
Location: Bulls Gap, TN
Has thanked: 420 times
Been thanked: 251 times

Re: Hay rings with the skirts at the bottom ?

Post by sstterry » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:10 am

elkwc wrote:Ordered the bar kit for the Century feeder today. I was driving but think it was $56.00. Should have it next week.

So the Bar Kit and the Skirt combined would be about $110-120 extra? I would like to see a picture when you have it assembled.

User avatar
slick4591
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10334
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:58 pm
Location: Farmersville, Texas
Has thanked: 192 times
Been thanked: 204 times

Re: Hay rings with the skirts at the bottom ?

Post by slick4591 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:24 am

I priced the Century cone feeder yesterday and at $720 it will have to wait until I get a couple calves sold.
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

User avatar
sstterry
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1520
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:04 am
Location: Bulls Gap, TN
Has thanked: 420 times
Been thanked: 251 times

Re: Hay rings with the skirts at the bottom ?

Post by sstterry » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:04 am

slick4591 wrote:I priced the Century cone feeder yesterday and at $720 it will have to wait until I get a couple calves sold.


After hearing how hard the regular ones are to assemble, you had better make sure that bad boy is assembled when you get it!

Post Reply