Ways to Build Wealth ?

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
shaz
GURU
GURU

Re: Ways to Build Wealth ?

Post by shaz » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:17 am

JMJ Farms wrote:I’ve got it figured like this.
1) My ‘real’ job pays the bills
2) Cows pay their own way
3) Cows have allowed me to buy things, (farm, equipment) that otherwise I couldn’t have justified owning.
4) Cows provide a way to get some money up in a hurry if the need arises.
5) Cows give me a justifiable reason to ‘leave the house’ at any time (when their is a little friction at home there’s always a fence that needs fixed)
6) I THINK that at the very worse, the cows are a savings account.
7) If I were to liquidate tomorrow , I would realize a profit over what I’ve put in, not accounting for labor of course!
8) I don’t know of one piece of equipment that I own that would bring more than 10% less than what I payed for it. Most is worth more than I payed for it. Equipment has been a better investment than the cows. But I don’t buy new equipment. It was all bought used and it’s all been fixed or improved and well taken care of.
9) No matter whether it’s land, equipment, cows, housing, or a gallon of milk.....the money is made when you buy it and it’s of no real value unless you sell it

Run around on the side by side for a couple hours drinking beer "checking on the herd". One of my favs for sure

"The Pope? How many divisions does he have?" Joseph Stalin

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by JMJ Farms » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:40 pm

shaz wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:17 am
JMJ Farms wrote:I’ve got it figured like this.
1) My ‘real’ job pays the bills
2) Cows pay their own way
3) Cows have allowed me to buy things, (farm, equipment) that otherwise I couldn’t have justified owning.
4) Cows provide a way to get some money up in a hurry if the need arises.
5) Cows give me a justifiable reason to ‘leave the house’ at any time (when their is a little friction at home there’s always a fence that needs fixed)
6) I THINK that at the very worse, the cows are a savings account.
7) If I were to liquidate tomorrow , I would realize a profit over what I’ve put in, not accounting for labor of course!
8) I don’t know of one piece of equipment that I own that would bring more than 10% less than what I payed for it. Most is worth more than I payed for it. Equipment has been a better investment than the cows. But I don’t buy new equipment. It was all bought used and it’s all been fixed or improved and well taken care of.
9) No matter whether it’s land, equipment, cows, housing, or a gallon of milk.....the money is made when you buy it and it’s of no real value unless you sell it
Run around on the side by side for a couple hours drinking beer "checking on the herd". One of my favs for sure
That’s right. Sometimes you just need something that ‘knocks your tractor out of gear’

I don’t know where that little smiley face with sun glasses thing come from. I didn’t post it and it doesn’t show up on the edit screen. Supposed to be an 8 with a ). But I just figured out that if you put the 8 and ) together it makes this feller
8)
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

Jthurler
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Jthurler » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:41 am

Feed inventory. So that when cows or heifers hit rock bottom you can increase your herd or improve your genetic base. Or sell feed

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Post by 1982vett » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:40 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:06 pm

That right their is the kick in the seat of the pants.... few take that into account and pass it off as lifestyle choice.

I could say my “investment” (rough value of assets costs used to raise cattle not including value of land) earned in the neighborhood of 7.5% but my salary check is in the mail.... All I can say is i feel I’m running an extremely expensive one member fitness center.
Aug 7, 2019 22:51GMT -5 the illustrious potentate said:
Because you have the freedom to say what you think, doesn't always mean that you should.

The right to speak freely is not free of consequences.

midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher

Post by midTN_Brangusman » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:37 pm

Steve, I've been thinking about putting together a pot load of bull calves, cutting and back grounding them and turn em loose this spring when grass gets growing. Could put them in a video sale. What do you think?

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by JMJ Farms » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:55 pm

1982vett wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:40 pm
JMJ Farms wrote:

That right their is the kick in the seat of the pants.... few take that into account and pass it off as lifestyle choice.

I could say my “investment” (rough value of assets costs used to raise cattle not including value of land) earned in the neighborhood of 7.5% but my salary check is in the mail.... All I can say is i feel I’m running an extremely expensive one member fitness center.
Yep. I here you Vette. I personally feel cattle are worse than a crack addiction. The only ones that will ever really benefit are the ones that cash the check when I die :lol2:
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Post by Brute 23 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:18 am

If you are not paying taxes in some form or fashion you not actually making money which makes it hard to accumulate wealth. At the end of the day, there is no way to legally avoid taxes.
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:27 am

JMJ Farms wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:55 pm
1982vett wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:40 pm
JMJ Farms wrote:

Yep. I here you Vette. I personally feel cattle are worse than a crack addiction. The only ones that will ever really benefit are the ones that cash the check when I die :lol2:
I figure my cattle will be running through the barn bout the time the last shovel of dirt lands on me.
Equipment sale will be the next week.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:32 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:18 am
If you are not paying taxes in some form or fashion you not actually making money which makes it hard to accumulate wealth. At the end of the day, there is no way to legally avoid taxes.
Self directed Roth IRA.
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:12 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:27 am

I figure my cattle will be running through the barn bout the time the last shovel of dirt lands on me.
Equipment sale will be the next week.
A former neighbor passed away a few years ago. He had invented a process to purify ceramics in his barn using old farm parts. Salt of the earth guy that got really rich really quick. He bought about 3 contiguous farms and several businesses (which he knew nothing about running). He had a son-in-law that convinced him to get cute and try and avoid taxes through various trusts and shell corporations. After several years, his estate was liquidated a few months ago at an IRS tax sale. His farm, which was his pride and joy, brought less than 1/2 of its appraised value. His 4 kids got nothing.

He never asked my advice on much other than some smaller legal matters which I always handled free of charge. If I had known and had he asked I would have directed him to a legitimate tax advisor and told him to forget the trusts and scams and just pay the be nice taxes. The tax penalties and interest took everything.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Post by Brute 23 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:58 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:32 pm
Brute 23 wrote:
Self directed Roth IRA.
You will still pay taxes at some point but it is the closest thing because you can defer some of the taxes on one end or the other.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:08 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:58 pm
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:
Self directed Roth IRA.
You will still pay taxes at some point but it is the closest thing because you can defer some of the taxes on one end or the other.
Wrong.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Post by Brute 23 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:43 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:08 pm
Brute 23 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:58 pm
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:

Self directed Roth IRA.
Wrong.
:lol: The floor is yours... please enlighten us all

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:32 am

Use you Google machine.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:03 am

I am retired and am currently using several retirement investments as follows:

1. A Federal Civil Service Retirement Annuity. It is taxed at the federal level. However, some states exclude federal annuity payouts from taxable income based on a formula. Kentucky is one of those states.

2. Thrift Savings Plan. It is a federal savings investment that functions under the statues of a 401K. It is taxed at the Federal level and the state level in Kentucky.

3. ROTH IRA. There was no tax deferral when investments were made but the greater benefit is that withdrawals are not taxed.

4. Traditional IRA. The investments were tax deferred but withdrawals are taxed as income.

Going to Brute's statement on a Roth IRA. There is no deferral of taxes when investments are made. There is no income tax on payouts at retirement. I think that is what TT means.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.