CTI tubs with garlic and altosid

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
garnetann
Cowhand
Cowhand

CTI tubs with garlic and altosid

Post by garnetann » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:48 am

I rarely if ever say WOW!, this is a great product, but I will now. The flies have almost disappeared since we started using this. They say the garlic on the lips repels flies, and in their system makes them not appealing to flies. Can't use with milking dairy because it will make the milk taste funny. But I am sold on them for my herd. The calves are enjoying it too. They manufacture the tubs locally for me, so I go right up to the place and get mine.

Hootowl
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: CTI tubs with garlic and altosid

Post by Hootowl » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:29 am

Invest in garlic. I'm not familiar with the tubs but everyone that I have seen that's using garlic in any type mineral is happy with the results.
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:38 am

Hootowl wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:29 am
Invest in garlic. I'm not familiar with the tubs but everyone that I have seen that's using garlic in any type mineral is happy with the results.
I need to see if our mineral contains any. Thanks KT.
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Post by Son of Butch » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:10 am

and not a Vampire in sight since putting out the tubs......

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:18 am

VitaFerm Heat is the summer mineral I use. It has garlic. I don't see that it is making a difference in fly control. I use a combination of UltraBoss and Martin's 1 % synergized Permethrin. When it goes two weeks after application, they are covered in flies. Especially, face flies and stable flies.

So I am going to have to say, it don't work here or they are not getting enough garlic in their system.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

garnetann
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by garnetann » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:27 am

Hootowl wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:29 am
They are 14% all natural protein tubs with minerals too. I keep protein tubs out all year around, and this is the first year we used the ones with garlic. But the flies have been worse than I can remember and I needed to do something to ease them on the cows. We poured them, fly tags, and also spray them with permectrin every couple weeks, but I felt like I was still losing ground. Until the garlic... Maybe coincidence, but what ever it is suits me fine! The altosid works like rabon, passing through and then killing the larve in the manure.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TexasBred » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:47 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:18 am
VitaFerm Heat is the summer mineral I use. It has garlic. I don't see that it is making a difference in fly control. I use a combination of UltraBoss and Martin's 1 % synergized Permethrin. When it goes two weeks after application, they are covered in flies. Especially, face flies and stable flies.

So I am going to have to say, it don't work here or they are not getting enough garlic in their system.
Use to know an old gal that took garlic daily. Stunk to high heaven but no effect on the flies. They still buzzed her. :hide: She was a pretty sizeable gal so might have needed a larger dose.
Last edited by TexasBred on Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Tell me what you brag about and I'll tell you what you lack”

Spanish Proverb

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:50 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:47 pm
Bright Raven wrote:

Use to know an old gal that took garlic daily. Stuck to high heaven but no effect on the flies. They still buzzed her. :hide: She was a pretty sizeable gal so might have needed a larger dose.
Nothing worse about a human than odor. :hide:
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:55 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

Use to know an old gal that took garlic daily. Stunk to high heaven but no effect on the flies. They still buzzed her. :hide: She was a pretty sizeable gal so might have needed a larger dose.
How long were you married to her?

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TexasBred » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:48 am

sstterry wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:55 pm
TexasBred wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

How long were you married to her?
LMAO. :lol: :lol: :lol: Until she beat me up, robbed me and threw me out the door. :wave:

Spanish Proverb

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Post by Ky hills » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:52 pm

I'm skeptical of the concept of garlic in a mineral being very effective against flies. I read an advertisement from Southern States, in last months edition of our KY Cattlemen's monthly publication. Nowhere in the add for the minerals containing the cinnamon and garlic did it mention aiding in fly control. It only stated as an aid in increasing rumen efficiency or something of the sort, something that was linked as better for the environment they way I read it. I have over the last few years of folks adding garlic to their mineral or rations, for fly control maybe the amount is subjective.
Many of the old timers around here swore by the Sulphur salt blocks, saying that it made them smell like Sulphur and that it would keep the flies off. I used it for a while but then lost faith in it several years ago. Largely because I think they needed more minerals and in a loose formulation.

garnetann
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by garnetann » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:42 pm

On a side note, I talked to the owner of the place that makes them, and found that while they definitely benefit from the protein and stuff in the tubs, in theory, you could add a bunch of powered garlic to their feed and it will help.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TexasBred » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:27 am

garnetann wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:42 pm
On a side note, I talked to the owner of the place that makes them, and found that while they definitely benefit from the protein and stuff in the tubs, in theory, you could add a bunch of powered garlic to their feed and it will help.
Sounds like he finally read up on it too.

Spanish Proverb

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Post by callmefence » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:54 pm

garnetann wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:48 am
I rarely if ever say WOW!, this is a great product, but I will now. The flies have almost disappeared since we started using this. They say the garlic on the lips repels flies, and in their system makes them not appealing to flies. Can't use with milking dairy because it will make the milk taste funny. But I am sold on them for my herd. The calves are enjoying it too. They manufacture the tubs locally for me, so I go right up to the place and get mine.
Tell em to put some lavender in there to keep the mescun buzzards away...... ;-)
It ain't bragging if you can do it.
Red Bull Breeder.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Post by alisonb » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:23 pm

Perhaps it has something to do with Allicin -

From the medical dictionary -
Allicin - A low-molecular-weight phytochemical with documented antimicrobial (antibacterial and antifungal), anti-thrombotic and allegedly anti-cancerous activity, which is present in garlic oil; allicin is regarded as a nutriceutical—a food component that may prevent or mitigate disease—which may decrease blood pressure and the risk of atherosclerosis.

Source
Garlic, leeks, onions.

Some more info -
https://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/food-beverages/garlic
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!