fencer question voltage

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
Dirt Farmer
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: fencer question voltage

Post by Dirt Farmer » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:01 am

Redgully wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:30 pm
Should we go down the eddy currents path.....
This is what I’m thinking. About the only thing I figured out with my Google-Fu is that I can’t find out much about how chargers or testers work.

greggy
GURU
GURU

Post by greggy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:33 am

Redgully wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:30 pm
Should we go down the eddy currents path.....
I lent Eddy 20 bucks at the pub 20 years ago, we best keep him outta it.....

greggy
GURU
GURU

Post by greggy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:37 am

Dirt Farmer wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:27 pm
I took some electrical theory years ago and at first didn’t see how the voltage could increase. If it was a complete circuit, you would absolutely expect it to have a lower voltage farther from the charger. It would have to because of resistance in the wire.

After thinking about it not being a complete circuit, things change. With the hot wire not completing a circuit, you have the magnetic field collapsing on itself and inducing voltage. This may or may not be the reason for the increased voltage at the end of the run.

I have a hard time believing the next pulse will have any effect because of how fast electricity travels compared to the relatively slow time between pulses. I don’t know enough to say if the voltage will double back on itself.

I briefly search the interwebs but couldn’t find anything other than what has already been found. If I come up with a better answer, I’ll let y’all know. This has piqued my interest.
We are measuring open circuits, but there is a reference to something....

If we tried to measure a proper completed circuit, we should get zero, my meter gets a zero at times when it is a really good short and close to source....it is one example of when one of the fancy meters wont help much :)