fence tips and tricks

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
libertygarden
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: fence tips and tricks

Postby libertygarden » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:23 pm

@fence_it, thank you for the comment. Those are 6" by 8' treated green posts, but I gave them two coats of used motor oil and diesel, 50/50 mix.
1 x

fence_it
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby fence_it » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:14 am

libertygarden wrote:@fence_it, thank you for the comment. Those are 6" by 8' treated green posts, but I gave them two coats of used motor oil and diesel, 50/50 mix.

They look good. That should really help their life.
0 x
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:26 am

greybeard wrote:Image

Never knew what hit him...
No need for step 3 with those......
0 x

libertygarden
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby libertygarden » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:29 pm

@fence_it, quick question. The wire I used for the brace was barbless wire. Should I have used 12 ga. bracing wire. instead? I tightened it with a stick, but a week later it was loose. Looks like the wire gave some. I haven't pulled wire form the assembly. It's just like in the picture I posted. Thanks.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:20 pm

Low carbon brace wire instead of HT is like riding a bike cross country vs flying. Low carbon will keep on stretching, HT won't. A twist stick in HT is a good way to get hurt. Use a ratchet strainer, a Gripple, or tighten with a chain strainer and tie or crimp with HT brace wire......Or just use a Gripple brace kit and be done with it.

Also, on a double brace, if you run the brace wire from the top of the second brace post to the base of the strain post, you'll increase the holding power of your strain post by about 15%. By flattening out the brace wire, the upward force is reduced which helps prevent the strainer from popping out under load.
1 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

libertygarden
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby libertygarden » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:48 pm

OK, thank, you. I'll replace the carbon wire with high tensile. Just saw the picture, so run the loop over the entire assembly instead of into each H separately.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:43 pm

libertygarden wrote:OK, thank, you. I'll replace the carbon wire with high tensile. Just saw the picture, so run the loop over the entire assembly instead of into each H separately.

Yes, that's how we do it. I'll go three rounds on a double brace, weaving it in a figure 8 patern.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:10 am

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:Low carbon brace wire instead of HT is like riding a bike cross country vs flying. Low carbon will keep on stretching, HT won't. A twist stick in HT is a good way to get hurt. Use a ratchet strainer, a Gripple, or tighten with a chain strainer and tie or crimp with HT brace wire......Or just use a Gripple brace kit and be done with it.

Also, on a double brace, if you run the brace wire from the top of the second brace post to the base of the strain post, you'll increase the holding power of your strain post by about 15%. By flattening out the brace wire, the upward force is reduced which helps prevent the strainer from popping out under load.

Before gripples, I have used HT barb wire on occassion for brace wire,but went solely to HT barbless and used a twist stick, which in my case was always a steel rod of some kind. It can get your B hole puckering pretty good making the last couple of turns on that 'twist stick'...
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:29 am

greybeard wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:Low carbon brace wire instead of HT is like riding a bike cross country vs flying. Low carbon will keep on stretching, HT won't. A twist stick in HT is a good way to get hurt. Use a ratchet strainer, a Gripple, or tighten with a chain strainer and tie or crimp with HT brace wire......Or just use a Gripple brace kit and be done with it.

Before gripples, I have used HT barb wire on occassion for brace wire,but went solely to HT barbless and used a twist stick, which in my case was always a steel rod of some kind. It can get your B hole puckering pretty good making the last couple of turns on that 'twist stick'...

.....and when it slips out of your hand, you can be rid of a finger before you can move out of the way. A contractor we sell to in KY lost the end of one that a way. He hadn't used a twist stick in a decade, but his customer didn't trust a ratchet strainer. Expensive lesson for him, but I took notes!
0 x

libertygarden
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby libertygarden » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:59 am

So a role of HT barbless Gaucho can work? It's certainly cheaper than the 12.5 ga HT that goes on a spinning Jenny.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:13 am

libertygarden wrote:So a role of HT barbless Gaucho can work? It's certainly cheaper than the 12.5 ga HT that goes on a spinning Jenny.

You're going to keep getting what you pay for. If you want cheap and easy that actually works, call my wife and order Gripple brace kits. Just ask Ron, and he'll tell you how well they work. Especially good for working back in the sticks.
https://www.farmfencesolutions.com/prod ... brace-kit/
0 x

fence_it
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby fence_it » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:07 pm

I'll echo what FFS has said. High tensile is the way to go, longer lasting and won't stretch out continuously like low carbon. The gripple brace kits also work excellent, quick and easy. For a double brace I like to wire each H separately instead of just one continuous wire from the far brace post to the end/corner post. I will agree that the less angle on the brace wire the better. With a double brace, I like to tension the first H more than the second. So the first H is doing the majority of the work, while the second is only helping to support it. I'm not a fan of double braces though, I would much rather use a 12' brace rail and be done with it.
0 x
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

libertygarden
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby libertygarden » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:09 pm

FFS, does the Gripple brace kit also require a special tool to tighten the cable? I like the simplicity and ease of carry.

Fence_It, I was able to get my hands on relatively cheap pipe. I can have them cut it 2.5 to 3 times the length of the strain post. Not knowing much about fencing, I always thought that the double H was stronger than a single H with a longer brace rail. At least I never saw that assembly in the NRCS guides, but I'm no fan of digging extra holes, especially because I'm doing them by hand, so I'll try the longer H.

I'm trying to get some telephone posts, but those get snagged quickly by the locals. And they are too heavy for me to carry to the back of the property.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:46 pm

I'll echo Fence_it….Long horizontal eliminates the need for a double H. We build our single H's with a 10' strainer, 8' brace post, and 10-12' horizontal strut, and they don't fail. In the pic I posted, my customer was planning on putting 4 plank over the wire, so we had to go 8' on center with the posts. The only way to get enough brace power to hold the wire, and stay 8' on center, was to go with double H's.

Yes, a Gripple brace kit needs to be tightened with a Gripple Contractor Tool, but you will never be disappointed that you have it.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:51 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
libertygarden wrote:So a role of HT barbless Gaucho can work? It's certainly cheaper than the 12.5 ga HT that goes on a spinning Jenny.

You're going to keep getting what you pay for. If you want cheap and easy that actually works, call my wife and order Gripple brace kits. Just ask Ron, and he'll tell you how well they work. Especially good for working back in the sticks.
https://www.farmfencesolutions.com/prod ... brace-kit/

I could not set a brace to my satisfaction until I used the brace kit. I just ordered more.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”