fence tips and tricks

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
fence_it
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: fence tips and tricks

Postby fence_it » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:08 pm

Here is a good guide for those who would like to learn more about the basics of fencing. https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/indu ... es-fencing
0 x
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:52 pm

fence_it wrote:Here is a good guide for those who would like to learn more about the basics of fencing. https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/indu ... es-fencing

Some good stuff in there, but you have to do a little sorting. :lol:
Never ever do this:

0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

fence_it
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby fence_it » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:24 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
fence_it wrote:Here is a good guide for those who would like to learn more about the basics of fencing. https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/indu ... es-fencing

Never ever do this:

I seen that and it made me wince, wouldn't be so bad if the wraps were at least tight.
0 x
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:58 pm

fence_it wrote:

Never ever do this:

I seen that and it made me wince, wouldn't be so bad if the wraps were at least tight.

No, it'd still be just as bad. :lol: You can't stretch a fence by the stay wires, which is what would be happening there with the line wires run around the stays. It was dissaponting, because they really did have a good start on the presentation. The barbed wire "knots" were pretty bad, too. I suspect the photographer and fence builder were of no relation to the author. Thanks for posting the link....I did save it for the good parts.
1 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

fence_it
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby fence_it » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:29 pm

fence_it wrote:

Never ever do this:

No, it'd still be just as bad. :lol: You can't stretch a fence by the stay wires, which is what would be happening there with the line wires run around the stays. It was dissaponting, because they really did have a good start on the presentation. The barbed wire "knots" were pretty bad, too. I suspect the photographer and fence builder were of no relation to the author. Thanks for posting the link....I did save it for the good parts.

Didn't catch that with the stay wires. I've seen wire joined where the line wire is ran through the knot. Using the geared wire twister, a nice looking join can be made. Even though, you can see in this picture it inevitably came apart when a snow load was placed on the fence. So the strength of it is questionable. In this situation the gripples fared much better except for the top wire. Photo credit to Ben Hartwell from the Ag Fencers page.

0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:26 am

fence_it wrote:
fence_it wrote:

Didn't catch that with the stay wires. I've seen wire joined where the line wire is ran through the knot. Using the geared wire twister, a nice looking join can be made. Even though, you can see in this picture it inevitably came apart when a snow load was placed on the fence. So the strength of it is questionable. In this situation the gripples fared much better except for the top wire. Photo credit to Ben Hartwell from the Ag Fencers page.

The busted Gripple probably had more to do with the wire than the Gripple. That is Stay Tuff, and with a stiff and oversized top line, it’s going to load up faster than the other line wires....especially with a snow load. A figure 8, Tex brown, or reef knot are the only knots that are really suitable for joining HT. I would even go so far as to say that a chit load of wraps would not qualify as a knot, but that’s just my opinion. Gripples all the way!! LOL
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:24 am

Never ever do this:

That's the ol' Canadian cross twist......
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ez14. » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:12 am

callmefence wrote:

Never ever do this:

That's the ol' Canadian cross twist......
cows don't push on it because they got plenty of snow on their side they don't really care to get at the snow on the other side
1 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:09 pm

Why I hate trees # 106...........There's a fence and a partially opened 14' gate obscured in that mess somewhere.
Doty red oak.
It is/was on my brother's place and i shoulda just left it, but couldn't stand to see it. (I figure he woulda done it for me if situation was reversed...maybe) His money grubbing kids that are only interested in monetizing that place aren't going to do anything with it for sure, but I had to drive by it every day and look at it.
Worse part was, this was located in a little 1 ac square lot my brother had fenced off for an elevated cabin he intended to build, and I couldn't get into it with the tractor. The wire and gate post held, but I had to go down the line a few posts & cut the fence to get access with the tractor. 15.5 ga Bekeart.

Pulled it off the tall stump and drug it a little ways away and left it intact for the most part so the next flood doesn't float it on to my fence or on to my property, but no good deed goes unpunished.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

fence_it
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby fence_it » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:40 pm

Pro tip: Stretch around corners by "piggybacking" stretcher bars. Avoids having to tie off at each corner or doing any of that nasty hard stapling! Only downside is you need 2 stretcher bars and 2 sets of pullers. Stretch to one corner with one stretcher bar and set of pullers, then go down to the next corner and stretch again with the other set. Then go back and take off the last set, and continue on until you reach the end. This is an especially effective method when fencing a field with 4 sides. To make the wire slide around the corner a little easier, use slider staples along with a dab of grease.

1 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:36 am

fence_it wrote:Pro tip: Stretch around corners by "piggybacking" stretcher bars. Avoids having to tie off at each corner or doing any of that nasty hard stapling! Only downside is you need 2 stretcher bars and 2 sets of pullers. Stretch to one corner with one stretcher bar and set of pullers, then go down to the next corner and stretch again with the other set. Then go back and take off the last set, and continue on until you reach the end. This is an especially effective method when fencing a field with 4 sides. To make the wire slide around the corner a little easier, use slider staples along with a dab of grease.

Nice work Fence_it. You guys get your new driver up and running? We call that the "White Castle" on our crew. I'm pulling a stretch around a pond today that is 1,200' with 8 corners. When I string the wire out, I'll stick a set of Gripples in between each corner, and gut strain it somewhere near the middle. Get it tight with the stretcher bars and start working my way around with a Gripple tool. Sure is easier than tying off and stretching that many times.

0 x

fence_it
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby fence_it » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:12 am

fence_it wrote:Pro tip: Stretch around corners by "piggybacking" stretcher bars. Avoids having to tie off at each corner or doing any of that nasty hard stapling! Only downside is you need 2 stretcher bars and 2 sets of pullers. Stretch to one corner with one stretcher bar and set of pullers, then go down to the next corner and stretch again with the other set. Then go back and take off the last set, and continue on until you reach the end. This is an especially effective method when fencing a field with 4 sides. To make the wire slide around the corner a little easier, use slider staples along with a dab of grease.

Nice work Fence_it. You guys get your new driver up and running? We call that the "White Castle" on our crew. I'm pulling a stretch around a pond today that is 1,200' with 8 corners. When I string the wire out, I'll stick a set of Gripples in between each corner, and gut strain it somewhere near the middle. Get it tight with the stretcher bars and start working my way around with a Gripple tool. Sure is easier than tying off and stretching that many times.

Thanks, I actually got the grease idea from an earlier post you made. Worked well. Haven't figured out the driver thing yet, the wet season is nearly upon us and will be easy pounding for the shaver. Right now it is still a little dry, we are pre drilling holes with the Belltec and then filling them with water, then coming back through and pounding with the shaver. Has been working pretty good.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:50 am

fence_it wrote:

Thanks, I actually got the grease idea from an earlier post you made. Worked well. Haven't figured out the driver thing yet, the wet season is nearly upon us and will be easy pounding for the shaver. Right now it is still a little dry, we are pre drilling holes with the Belltec and then filling them with water, then coming back through and pounding with the shaver. Has been working pretty good.

It's been a dry couple of years here, so I feel your pain. We have a new EVO available since I last sent you guys prices. It's nearly $10K cheaper. Same options, for the most part. (Rock auger and rock drill, hint hint)

EVO Compact

1 x

ZachinCO
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ZachinCO » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:40 pm

Question for the experts:
I'm going to be cutting a pasture in half. One side cows, the other horses. I plan on using no climb fence and some hot wires(eventually).
Is my best bet to put the no climb on the side of the posts towards the cattle since they are more likely to put on it than my horses?

something along these lines?
Cattle would be on the near side, horses far side.
I'm estimating 10' spacing on 5"x8' posts?
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:19 pm

ZachinCO wrote:Question for the experts:
I'm going to be cutting a pasture in half. One side cows, the other horses. I plan on using no climb fence and some hot wires(eventually).
Is my best bet to put the no climb on the side of the posts towards the cattle since they are more likely to put on it than my horses?

something along these lines?
Cattle would be on the near side, horses far side.
I'm estimating 10' spacing on 5"x8' posts?

The sole purpose of no climb for horses is to keep feet from getting hung in the fence. A pawing horse can also possibly get it's foot between the post and the wire. The correct way to build the fence is to put the net on the HORSE side.
1 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”