fence tips and tricks

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
ZachinCO
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: fence tips and tricks

Postby ZachinCO » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:52 pm

callmefence wrote:
ZachinCO wrote:Question for the experts:
I'm going to be cutting a pasture in half. One side cows, the other horses. I plan on using no climb fence and some hot wires(eventually).
Is my best bet to put the no climb on the side of the posts towards the cattle since they are more likely to put on it than my horses?

something along these lines?
Cattle would be on the near side, horses far side.
I'm estimating 10' spacing on 5"x8' posts?

The sole purpose of no climb for horses is to keep feet from getting hung in the fence. A pawing horse can also possibly get it's foot between the post and the wire. The correct way to build the fence is to put the net on the HORSE side.

Wasn't even thinking about that! Thank you.
I was thinking more about cattle pushing in, but a few hot wires might solve that.
0 x

libertygarden
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby libertygarden » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:13 pm

I finished this brace yesterday at the farm. As you can see, I got the alignment off by a few inches because of the tree, so I added a 2 by 4. It's been holding 5 wires for 2 weeks of rain without moving, so I guess it's good. Yesterday, I just finished fastening the wire to the posts.

The posts are 4' deep with 1' of concrete and the rest backfilled with crushed concrete. I really wish the standard for corner posts was 9' instead of 8'. They seem a little short when buried them halfway in.

0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:02 am

libertygarden wrote:I finished this brace yesterday at the farm. As you can see, I got the alignment off by a few inches because of the tree, so I added a 2 by 4. It's been holding 5 wires for 2 weeks of rain without moving, so I guess it's good. Yesterday, I just finished fastening the wire to the posts.

The posts are 4' deep with 1' of concrete and the rest backfilled with crushed concrete. I really wish the standard for corner posts was 9' instead of 8'. They seem a little short when buried them halfway in.

Looking good LG. I agree with you on the post length. I prefer a 10', but our post supplier only makes 8 and 9' larger diameter posts. They do make utility poles too, so I have them cut 40 footers to 10' before treating them. Of course, with pipe, it is much easier to get the length you need.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

libertygarden
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby libertygarden » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:34 pm

Thank you FFS. I've been looking for telephone posts, but they get snagged rather quickly by the pros around my area. The local lumber store has railroad ties which are about 6" longer, but in the shape they're in, they don't look like they'll last too long.
0 x

libertygarden
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby libertygarden » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:42 pm

At the opposite end of this brace, about 60 yards away, I used a massive hackberry tree for a corner post. I used 2 by 4 pieces on all the contact points so that the tree does not eat the wire. Not sure how that will work in the long run, but it works for now.

0 x

pricefarm
GURU
GURU

Postby pricefarm » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:19 pm

Anyone use used rail road ties for fence post ? How long would they last ?
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:31 pm

pricefarm wrote:Anyone use used rail road ties for fence post ? How long would they last ?

Got a bunch on my place the old man put in. He worked for the railroad and they weren't new when he got em. He didn't live long enough to answer your question and I'm not sure I will.
4 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

pricefarm
GURU
GURU

Postby pricefarm » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:54 pm

callmefence wrote:
pricefarm wrote:Anyone use used rail road ties for fence post ? How long would they last ?

Got a bunch on my place the old man put in. He worked for the railroad and they weren't new when he got em. He didn't live long enough to answer your question and I'm not sure I will.

Thanks. Good wood post are hard to get around here. I have some treated post I put in 16 years ago that are almost rotted out.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:35 pm

They don't last for chit around here. I think the moisture with all the freeze/thaw cycles we get is the culprit. They don't rot off at the ground, but bust apart from the top down. Brand new, or lightly used ties might be a diffrent story. Where there isn't much freezing, it'd be better for sure.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:24 pm

They last about 30 years here..some more than others, maybe 35 years. Not as long lasting as the old creosoted utility line poles sawed into fence posts but the ties do pretty good........some of it depends how long they were on the track.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:38 am

i just tore down a building made of creosote telephone pulls. I cut them all in 3 for posts.. I got a pretty good amount of posts from them.

They were in a horse barn FILLED with manure 6' up. For atleast 40 years those poles were in wet manure... They still looked BRAND NEW w/o even a bit of rot. amazing. I've already pounded in a dozen.
0 x

fence_it
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby fence_it » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:24 am

They last about 5 years here.

Which is about how long the junk farm store CCA pines last.
0 x
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

fence_it
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby fence_it » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:26 am

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:

They don't last for chit around here. I think the moisture with all the freeze/thaw cycles we get is the culprit. They don't rot off at the ground, but bust apart from the top down. Brand new, or lightly used ties might be a diffrent story. Where there isn't much freezing, it'd be better for sure.

What kind of wood posts can you get in Indiana?
0 x
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:53 am

fence_it wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:

What kind of wood posts can you get in Indiana?

We are right between Red Pine and Southern Yellow Pine. CCA, ACQ, and Creosote are all available. There is another treatment that I am not familiar with that comes from a plant in IL.
Red Pine has concentric knots, so is prone to snapping in a driver. Southern Yellow Pine from the actual south make good posts when treated properly, but the northern SYP is not so great.
Hedge and Locust grow here, so they are used when possible. Plenty of sassafras line posts around, too.
And don't forget Ironwood that's treated with Class III galvanize and a clearcoat. :nod:
1 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:47 am

'northern southern yellow pine'

never heard that one before. Usually called white pine. it sucks.

a white pine vs. SYP will be about 1/2 the weight.
0 x

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”