fence tips and tricks

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Re: fence tips and tricks

Post by Farm Fence Solutions » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:23 pm

fence_it wrote:Got 'er did. At least the first part. Should hold stock with some juice running through it.

As long as they don't walk around the end. lol Looks good.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

fence_it
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by fence_it » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:28 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
fence_it wrote:Got 'er did. At least the first part. Should hold stock with some juice running through it.

As long as they don't walk around the end. lol Looks good.

:lol: Knew someone was gonna say that. It comes up to a creek. Got to do a creek crossing. I stuck my marker stick out in it and its about 4 feet deep! :o
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Post by ddd75 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:37 pm

did you use my spacing?

fence_it
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by fence_it » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:50 pm

ddd75 wrote:did you use my spacing?

No, did the original. Wanted top wire close to 5 foot.
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

fence_it
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by fence_it » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:58 pm

What is everyone's preferred wood post insulator? Currently using fin tubes.

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Post by Farm Fence Solutions » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:29 pm

fence_it wrote:What is everyone's preferred wood post insulator? Currently using fin tubes.

Flat backs for slip ons, heavy nail on claw insulators with stainless screws for barbed and coated wire, screw ins for stand off wire. Spiralators for when the help can't count.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

fence_it
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by fence_it » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:21 pm

An interesting read from my state university.

http://juniper.oregonstate.edu/post-farm.pdf

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Post by callmefence » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:30 am

fence_it wrote:An interesting read from my state university.

http://juniper.oregonstate.edu/post-farm.pdf

Thanks. Good info
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Beefeater
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Beefeater » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:47 pm

Reading that report a number of years ago is what really motivated me to spread a few hedge balls in local ravines every year (still in the native growing area). Hopefully someday I won’t have to drive several counties away to get my wood posts!

I’d like to get 40-50 arrow straight 9-10’ with 10”+ tops delivered in central Iowa along I-35 for $30/ea if anyone wants to make some gas money on a trip up North.

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Post by ddd75 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:56 am

i've cut some nice osage posts about 10 years ago.. heavy posts. I let them dry for 2 years and put them in some dry soil. I bet they'll last forever.

Bad thing is its hard to find them straight. They like to grow together and twist all over.

fence_it
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by fence_it » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:40 pm

https://imgur.com/xsQ2nY2

New pounder for them big posts.

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Post by Farm Fence Solutions » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:08 pm

fence_it wrote:https://imgur.com/xsQ2nY2

You get her all operational? That'll beat the chit out of the ol' Shaver! :D

Looks like new fenders and bigger new tires on the old Bota. :lol:

fence_it
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by fence_it » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:30 pm

Lol yeah. Big boy tractor for the big boy pounder. :lol:

Pounded through the gravel no problem, got about 4ft down until we hit rock. The 'ol man was impressed.

We are having one issue. The main ram, that raises and lowers the hammer, is getting jammed up and twisting. Any ideas? The rope and the pulleys are free. Once we started pounding, the hammer wouldn't lift up, had to take the forklift and manually lift up the hammer which got it going again. Its like the ram just binds up for some reason. Kind of a head scratcher for us. (To be honest we really don't know what the heck we're doing with a pounder like this) :D

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Post by Farm Fence Solutions » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:17 am

fence_it wrote:

Pounded through the gravel no problem, got about 4ft down until we hit rock. The 'ol man was impressed.

We are having one issue. The main ram, that raises and lowers the hammer, is getting jammed up and twisting. Any ideas? The rope and the pulleys are free. Once we started pounding, the hammer wouldn't lift up, had to take the forklift and manually lift up the hammer which got it going again. Its like the ram just binds up for some reason. Kind of a head scratcher for us. (To be honest we really don't know what the heck we're doing with a pounder like this) :D

She'll eat the grease. When you think you need more hydraulic pressure, start with a tub of grease and some latex gloves. Or, the mast is bent. If that is the case, it's about a week of he!! and a whole bunch of torch gas to bring her back to square. There will be about a dozen more grease zerks after you've found them "all". How many Krugerrands you got wrapped up in the new rig? And when do we get a profile view so we know what ya got?!? I'm not really an azz man, let's see what's up front!

fence_it
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by fence_it » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:08 am

fence_it wrote:

She'll eat the grease. When you think you need more hydraulic pressure, start with a tub of grease and some latex gloves. Or, the mast is bent. If that is the case, it's about a week of he!! and a whole bunch of torch gas to bring her back to square. There will be about a dozen more grease zerks after you've found them "all". How many Krugerrands you got wrapped up in the new rig? And when do we get a profile view so we know what ya got?!? I'm not really an azz man, let's see what's up front!

Crap, that's what I was thinking but wasn't sure. I pressure washed all the grease and crude off of it so its dry as a bone. Guy we bought it from said to use hydraulic fluid on the mast. I got to take some more pictures, just got it plumbed up yesterday!