Need Help with an Electric Deer Fence

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
M-5
GURU
GURU

Re: Need Help with an Electric Deer Fence

Postby M-5 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:57 am

Good Beard products are a necessity. I recommend mixing your own with essential oils.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:14 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:Image

Not the best pics, but this is a prime example of spending a pile of money on a failure. I recommended 8' net, and they wanted to cheapen it up. They had a "farm architect" draw up a fence design. He drove a Prius and had combed hair and product in his beard, which was three strikes right off the bat. His plan called for 14 strands of HT with a total height of 7' and alternating hot wires. I told em it'd never work, but the well groomed "architect" won over. I've always wondered what they paid that dip be nice, but I digress. Two and a half years later, these folks sued me for $6k. Improperly manufactured and installed gates, and it didn't keep critters out. They also said that a brace had failed, which I would always fix if it were the case. (It has happened twice, that I know of) They never did provide any pictures of that brace. Judge ordered mediation, which we went to and they did not. Three trips to court, and the Judge tells us that she needs to think about the amount, but she will be ruling in their favor. I asked why, since we'd proved our case and done everything she's asked. Her response was that she felt like she had to give them something because of all the time they had invested in the suite. I kept my thoughts to myself. 6 months later, we received notice of judgement for $1,000. Makes me mad, but I suppose it could have been worse. The job directly after that one was another where I'd let a customer talk me into a bad idea. I lost my azz, and he ended up with junk. Those were the last two that I let someone talk me into doing it wrong.
That said, I can see where the double fence would work once the deer were trained. It would be a bit of maintenance, but I understand the concept.

I think in the ops situation your solution is best.
Unless its a lease.The situation I'm familiar with the fence is rolled up for hunting season.
Don't ever let a customer talk you into something. The customer is seldom right.
That's why you see 0 wooden braces outta me. :mrgreen: and no permanent electric... :hide:
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:08 pm

M-5 wrote:Good Beard products are a necessity. I recommend mixing your own with essential oils.

Awesome????
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:17 pm

callmefence wrote:
M-5 wrote:Good Beard products are a necessity. I recommend mixing your own with essential oils.

Awesome????

Yes it is
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

red angus 2010
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby red angus 2010 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:38 pm

Gators Rule wrote:I'm in the process of needing to build an electric fence that will help keep deer out of an 70 acre cotton field, in south Georgia. I've roughly calculated the perimeter to be about 7,135 feet, or 1.35 miles. While I would like to do this as economically as possible, I also want to do it right so that this is a one time expenditure, with minimal upkeep expense in subsequent years.

What can I expect? T-posts or wood posts? If T-posts, how long should the T-posts be? Distance between posts? Type of wire? One or two chargers? Solar or electric? If we do the work our self, how much money would I expect to spend? How much if I contacted a fence builder?

Thanks in advance!

David

Remington Model 700 sps varmit in .308 many scope options to choose from, fence will be too costly to erect and maintain.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:30 pm

red angus 2010 wrote:
Gators Rule wrote:I'm in the process of needing to build an electric fence that will help keep deer out of an 70 acre cotton field, in south Georgia. I've roughly calculated the perimeter to be about 7,135 feet, or 1.35 miles. While I would like to do this as economically as possible, I also want to do it right so that this is a one time expenditure, with minimal upkeep expense in subsequent years.

What can I expect? T-posts or wood posts? If T-posts, how long should the T-posts be? Distance between posts? Type of wire? One or two chargers? Solar or electric? If we do the work our self, how much money would I expect to spend? How much if I contacted a fence builder?

Thanks in advance!

David

Remington Model 700 sps varmit in .308 is a sweet shooting rifle, but properly erected fence is very economical to maintain.

I totally agree. :wave:
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:17 pm

I know you're speaking in jest, but just what the heck are these "essential oils" I keep hearing about from so many millennials?

0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:10 am

greybeard wrote:

I know you're speaking in jest, but just what the heck are these "essential oils" I keep hearing about from so many millennials?

Not really jesting because when I grow my beard out I use oils to keep it soft and smelling good. Essential oils have been used to treat ailments for a long long time. They have some medicinal properties. I mix vit e oil with cypress oil and lavender oil , it basically is an non aftershave , get out of the shower oil yo Beard and Mama will be all over you.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:02 am

M-5 wrote:
greybeard wrote:

Not really jesting because when I grow my beard out I use oils to keep it soft and smelling good. Essential oils have been used to treat ailments for a long long time. They have some medicinal properties. I mix vit e oil with cypress oil and lavender oil , it basically is an non aftershave , get out of the shower oil yo Beard and Mama will be all over you.

Some of us don't need makeup for our wife to want us.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”