Gripple contractor tool

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Gripple contractor tool

Postby Bigfoot » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:31 am

I ordered the Gripple contracting tool, and 100 medium gripples. I like to think, that I'm not too old to still achieve personal growth. If it's the best way, then I'll give it a try.
1 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:58 am

callmefence wrote:Quite honestly. I'm having a hard time seeing the advantage in a mile roll of wire. To go back and cut it several times and put gripples in.
Don't get me wrong. I'm a big fan of both.. just saying.

I mostly like the big rolls because they look cool.
1 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:04 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
callmefence wrote:Quite honestly. I'm having a hard time seeing the advantage in a mile roll of wire. To go back and cut it several times and put gripples in.

Man ain't that the truth. I can't wait to put a couple them suckers on the back of my truck.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:21 pm

callmefence wrote:

Man ain't that the truth. I can't wait to put a couple them suckers on the back of my truck.

Does this giant roll of wire make my other roll of wire look big? Yes, that is the new and improved Jackhawk 9000 unroller......Only available at Farm Fence Solutions. :lol:
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:28 pm

On the gut stretching. I think that is only with woven or repairs of broken barb wire.

I like it when I don't have anything to pull from or can't get a tractor in next to the end corner posts.

This Aussie strainer looks overly complicated--too many moving parts to wear out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od3caYTBcSE
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:41 pm

J&D Cattle wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:https://www.farmfencesolutions.com/product/strainrite-502-wire-strainer/

This is how we take the bulk of our slack out of a long run before we go to the Gripple. Ron, I use a Gripple 100% of the time in barb wire. In rough terrain, I'm liable to put a half dozen in a long stretch, just to make life easier.

I can get on board with what you are doing but that is mind boggling to most who were raised and taught to never splice if you didn't have to. I'm getting ready to put up 10,000 or so feet of HT cross fencing and am planning on using gripples as my tension devices. My buddy who bought the tool kit from you likes the heck out of it. I'll be ordering one soon.

Will some one post a video of gripples being used like this. I know nothing of them really, but am always game to learn a better way. Been using ratchet strainers for this...
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. -Aesop

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:08 pm

callmefence wrote:

Does this giant roll of wire make my other roll of wire look big? Yes, that is the new and improved Jackhawk 9000 unroller......Only available at Farm Fence Solutions. :lol:

My jaybird 1000 :frowns:

0 x

David Crockett

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:27 pm

bball wrote:
J&D Cattle wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:https://www.farmfencesolutions.com/product/strainrite-502-wire-strainer/

This is how we take the bulk of our slack out of a long run before we go to the Gripple. Ron, I use a Gripple 100% of the time in barb wire. In rough terrain, I'm liable to put a half dozen in a long stretch, just to make life easier.

I can get on board with what you are doing but that is mind boggling to most who were raised and taught to never splice if you didn't have to. I'm getting ready to put up 10,000 or so feet of HT cross fencing and am planning on using gripples as my tension devices. My buddy who bought the tool kit from you likes the heck out of it. I'll be ordering one soon.

Will some one post a video of gripples being used like this. I know nothing of them really, but am always game to learn a better way. Been using ratchet strainers for this...

https://youtu.be/llolfTnAe0I

https://youtu.be/N3maSOqMNJg

https://www.farmfencesolutions.com/product-tag/gripple/
2 x

David Crockett

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:04 pm

bball wrote:Will some one post a video of gripples being used like this. I know nothing of them really, but am always game to learn a better way. Been using ratchet strainers for this...

Same here. I started building fence under my Dad's tutelage in '64 and when I first came to CT and the rest of the internet, I thought not only was my way of doing it the best way, thought it was the ONLY way too.
Was I ever wrong...and we're lucky to have guys like the fencing pros (and every day farmers) here sharing their tips and tricks with us.
It says lots about them too.
Try asking for advice at somewhere like an auto dealership, plumbing outfit, electric contractor, or computer shop and you get the impression they think you're holding a gun and asking for their paycheck.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:11 pm

callmefence wrote:
bball wrote:
J&D Cattle wrote:

Luke/Fence:

When you guys gut strain barb wire. Do you roll the entire strand out between the two posts, tie it off on each end, then go to the center cut it and thread the two ends into a gripple? Or What? I guess there are many ways. I wonder what your routine is.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

fence_it
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby fence_it » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:28 pm

callmefence wrote:

Sure makes mine look small! :lol:

0 x
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:01 pm

callmefence wrote:
bball wrote:
J&D Cattle wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to post those links Fence.

Luke, sending you a pm :idea:
0 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:07 pm

greybeard wrote:
bball wrote:Will some one post a video of gripples being used like this. I know nothing of them really, but am always game to learn a better way. Been using ratchet strainers for this...

Same here. I started building fence under my Dad's tutelage in '64 and when I first came to CT and the rest of the internet, I thought not only was my way of doing it the best way, thought it was the ONLY way too.
Was I ever wrong...and we're lucky to have guys like the fencing pros (and every day farmers) here sharing their tips and tricks with us.
It says lots about them too.

Try asking for advice at somewhere like an auto dealership, plumbing outfit, electric contractor, or computer shop and you get the impression they think you're holding a gun and asking for their paycheck.

Could not agree more. I have sure learned an awful lot in the couple years being on this site...about fence, cattle, feed...the list is ongoing. Even though the focus sometimes becomes what folks disagree about on CT, there is a wealth of valuable knowledge being shared by many, many great people on here. Not trying to stir anything up, but when I snoop around on other sites similar to this one, there just doesn't seem to be the same level of activity.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:36 pm

fence_it wrote:
callmefence wrote:

Sure makes mine look small! :lol:

One of these days, we'll get you to switch. ;-)
1 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:40 pm

1. How does my contractor tool strip barbs off?
2. If you make your initial stretch from the center of the wire, you've got a bunch of barbs to get off. Should I make an initial center pull with a goldenrod, and then join the pieces with the contractor tool, while it's drawn tight with the goldenrod?
3. There is a learning curve to this thing, I only fiddled with it in the dark for a little while.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”