A&A scales

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
pricefarm
GURU
GURU

A&A scales

Postby pricefarm » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:39 pm

I finally bought a set of these scales. They had them on eBay for around 200$ I know a couple people said they have them. The guy that sells them said that they are ok to mount under the squeeze chute. Do any of you that have them use them that way ?
0 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Re: A&A scales

Postby bball » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:58 am

I have mine under a platform immediately before the chute.
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. -Aesop

pricefarm
GURU
GURU

Postby pricefarm » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:25 am

bball wrote:I have mine under a platform immediately before the chute.

How come you chose to do that instead of putting them under the chute?
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:29 am

Describe that in more detail, please.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

muleskinner
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby muleskinner » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:00 am

Tru-test has different platforms for putting in the chute. Load cells do not hold up under squeeze chutes. Just put it right before the palp cage and it works real good. I like tru-tests equine platform the best. It work real good for cows.

http://livestock.tru-test.com/en-nz/pla ... e-platform
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:40 pm

pricefarm wrote:I finally bought a set of these scales. They had them on eBay for around 200$ I know a couple people said they have them. The guy that sells them said that they are ok to mount under the squeeze chute. Do any of you that have them use them that way ?

I have them and also as mentioned have it before the chute... The scale works good ... However I hope you never have to contact them for help to put it mildly they are A.H's
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:47 pm

pricefarm wrote:

How come you chose to do that instead of putting them under the chute?

It allows me portability for other locations and i had read where these lower end of the spectrum load cells dont hold up as well under a chute. Im happy with them for the little bit of money i have in the set up. If i was running a few 100 calves across it every year, i probably would have went with a more high dollar brand, but so far, im pleased with the A&A.
1 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:55 pm

Bright Raven wrote:

I have the load cells attached to an 8 foot steel platform. The cows come through a slide gate, step up 2 and half inches onto the platform, i swing the door for the palp cage to close off the lane. Now the cow is standing on a platform being weighed in a 27" × 8' compartment. Once i get the weight, open palp cage door, cow moves forward into chute. When im done weighing, i disconnect the display for scales and leave the platform in place. Come winter, i remove the platform all together and store in the barn until early spring.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:58 pm

bball wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

I have the load cells attached to an 8 foot steel platform. The cows come through a slide gate, step up 2 and half inches onto the platform, i swing the door for the palp cage to close off the lane. Now the cow is standing on a platform being weighed in a 27" × 8' compartment. Once i get the weight, open palp cage door, cow moves forward into chute. When im done weighing, i disconnect the display for scales and leave the platform in place. Come winter, i remove the platform all together and store in the barn until early spring.

Thank you. That would be perfect for my arrangement and I need a scales.
1 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

pricefarm
GURU
GURU

Postby pricefarm » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:03 pm

bball wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

How did you make your platform ? Would 2" square tubing 1/8" thick be strong enough you think ?
0 x

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:46 pm

I made my platform out of 3/16" steel diamond plate that I had bent into a pan shape and then had it Galvanized. The mounts for the load cells were welded directly to the the plate. No other support was needed. The thing I had trouble with was the platform sliding some to where the it would be touching a post. This would make the weight wrong. Easy to fix, just pull it back to where it was suppose to be but was an annoyance. The rubber feet were on a 4 x 6 buried to surface level.

I much prefer the scales under the chute, but I don't think I would put a cheaper set under a chute. Its much to difficult to remove them when you have a problem.
1 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:30 pm

pricefarm wrote:
bball wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

How did you make your platform ? Would 2" square tubing 1/8" thick be strong enough you think ?

I went with 1" square tubing and 1/4" diamond plate top. Heavy enough for sure. Have had several bulls go across with no issues. I wanted to keep it lower profile so no animals would balk at 'stepping up' onto it. Its also heavy enough with the tubing that it doesnt slide. You could certainly use 2", but it will be a heavy son to move by hand(if portability was a concern).
0 x

M & P
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby M & P » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:05 pm

http://www.scaledynasty.com/Livestock-A ... YQQAvD_BwE

This is what I have only had it for a year now no problems yet I like it
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:10 am

M & P wrote:http://www.scaledynasty.com/Livestock-Alleyway-Scale-Optima-929-p/op-929-8430.htm?gclid=CjwKCAiAmvjRBRBlEiwAWFc1mOAuKZ3hzzlKf9BYz8JW9M_-NjZ6DiiSrttj7cB2UkPSn1oG07xe8RoCaYQQAvD_BwE

This is what I have only had it for a year now no problems yet I like it

that looks pretty nice.
0 x

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:29 pm

Just ordered a gallagher TSI system with the super heavy duty loadbars and RFID reader. Don't imagine the old A&A will see much more use.

https://gallagherfencefast.ca/products/gallagher-tsi

https://gallagherfencefast.ca/collectio ... y-loadbars
0 x

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”