84212 fixed knot fence

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
Tonka
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:14 pm

84212 fixed knot fence

Postby Tonka » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:51 pm

Hey guys . First time poster here ,but been reading a lot.
Looking at putting in a little over a mile of woven wire . I’m in red clay country in central Ky.
Fence will have cattle on one side and either road frontage or row crop on the other side.
I have no experience with fixed knot , but looks like the way to go. All the old fences around here were hinge joint.
Anyhow thinking about using 84212 , 5”x7’ line post 2’ in the ground on 20, centers with single H braces made with 8”x8’ rounds 3’ in ground on 10’ centers.
Does this look like a good plan ?
If so how far can I go between H braces ?
What about wire brand ? Stay Tuf , Bekaert , Tornado ,etc. Is one any better than the rest ?
0 x

User avatar
bball
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2894
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:43 am
Location: Indiana

Re: 84212 fixed knot fence

Postby bball » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:50 am

Tonka wrote:Hey guys . First time poster here ,but been reading a lot.
Looking at putting in a little over a mile of woven wire . I’m in red clay country in central Ky.
Fence will have cattle on one side and either road frontage or row crop on the other side.
I have no experience with fixed knot , but looks like the way to go. All the old fences around here were hinge joint.
Anyhow thinking about using 84212 , 5”x7’ line post 2’ in the ground on 20, centers with single H braces made with 8”x8’ rounds 3’ in ground on 10’ centers.
Does this look like a good plan ?
If so how far can I go between H braces ?
What about wire brand ? Stay Tuf , Bekaert , Tornado ,etc. Is one any better than the rest ?


Go a foot deeper on your corners and h braces. Line posts too if it were me.
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. -Aesop

ddd75
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2232
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:47 am
Location: KY

Re: 84212 fixed knot fence

Postby ddd75 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:26 am

how much is that fence? 42" isn't very tall.

you can get 660' 49" tall 12" stays graduated spacing beakart rolls for around 200 - 230 depending @ southern states.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4915
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: 84212 fixed knot fence

Postby callmefence » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:57 am

Tonka wrote:Hey guys . First time poster here ,but been reading a lot.
Looking at putting in a little over a mile of woven wire . I’m in red clay country in central Ky.
Fence will have cattle on one side and either road frontage or row crop on the other side.
I have no experience with fixed knot , but looks like the way to go. All the old fences around here were hinge joint.
Anyhow thinking about using 84212 , 5”x7’ line post 2’ in the ground on 20, centers with single H braces made with 8”x8’ rounds 3’ in ground on 10’ centers.
Does this look like a good plan ?
If so how far can I go between H braces ?
What about wire brand ? Stay Tuf , Bekaert , Tornado ,etc. Is one any better than the rest ?


Tornado will give you the best bang for the buck. I agree with ball a foot deeper on everything. Farm will be coming south in a few days. I'd bet he can set you up with tornado. Also The guy quality checks every load of post he gets and sends them back if they don't meet his high standards.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.




You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1923
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: 84212 fixed knot fence

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:20 am

https://www.southernstates.com/catalog/ ... a-660.aspx
Doesn't seem to be that great of a deal. We aren't interested in being the cheapest on the front end, but if we can supply a product that has the lowest long term cost of ownership, we've done our job well.

A couple of the independent SS stores have inquired about switching to Tornado. It seems we are starting to make a dent. You already know how I feel about Tornado, so I'll not waste the paper. Call Me Fence is a no BS kind of man, and a pretty hard sell. I left him with a roll of 949-12 and a roll of barbed wire last April, and now he has near 42,000 pounds of it in stock. I think that says quite a bit about our quality, especially with Stay Tuff and San Antonio Steel within cannon range of Fenceman's place. The same story has repeated it's self several times in the past couple of years. My two biggest local contracting competitors are all Tornado now. The wire speaks for it's self.......Especially so if you stretch a roll from the other guys along side of ours. To ice the cake, the people of Tornado actually care.
FWIW, I'd go with longer corner posts and wider braces. Local knowledge on the depth of line posts is relevant.
Image

Image

A couple pics of Fence and one of the founders of Tornado Wire, who started as a fencing contractor. Welcome to the forum, Tonka!
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4915
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: 84212 fixed knot fence

Postby callmefence » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:27 am

Had 42000.
This little bit is headed west in the morning. :cowboy:


Image
1 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.




You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11717
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: 84212 fixed knot fence

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:34 am

Deeper on the post for sure. As the pros pointed out, cheap wire doesn't save a thing.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Tonka
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:14 pm

Re: 84212 fixed knot fence

Postby Tonka » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:15 pm

8’ post is about all we have around here. I don’t see how 4’ depth is going to work with 8’ post . Would a double H brace 3’ deep work better ?
1000’ span is about the longest I have .
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1923
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: 84212 fixed knot fence

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:26 pm

callmefence wrote:Had 42000.
This little bit is headed west in the morning. :cowboy:


Image


Looks like better fencing weather is headed your way. Want me to see if I can track down some of them New Zealand style Daisy Dukes for your crew?
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4915
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: 84212 fixed knot fence

Postby callmefence » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:08 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
callmefence wrote:Had 42000.
This little bit is headed west in the morning. :cowboy:


Image


Looks like better fencing weather is headed your way. Want me to see if I can track down some of them New Zealand style Daisy Dukes for your crew?


We're on a exposed to the north slope.
13 degree wind chill. Setting posts so y'all can show us how it's done.
Your not real popular right now..I wouldn't push it... ;-)
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.




You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

ddd75
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2232
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:47 am
Location: KY

Re: 84212 fixed knot fence

Postby ddd75 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:28 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:https://www.southernstates.com/catalog/p-4037-bekaert-solidlock-cattle-fence-12ga-660.aspx
Doesn't seem to be that great of a deal. We aren't interested in being the cheapest on the front end, but if we can supply a product that has the lowest long term cost of ownership, we've done our job well.

A couple of the independent SS stores have inquired about switching to Tornado. It seems we are starting to make a dent. You already know how I feel about Tornado, so I'll not waste the paper. Call Me Fence is a no BS kind of man, and a pretty hard sell. I left him with a roll of 949-12 and a roll of barbed wire last April, and now he has near 42,000 pounds of it in stock. I think that says quite a bit about our quality, especially with Stay Tuff and San Antonio Steel within cannon range of Fenceman's place. The same story has repeated it's self several times in the past couple of years. My two biggest local contracting competitors are all Tornado now. The wire speaks for it's self.......Especially so if you stretch a roll from the other guys along side of ours. To ice the cake, the people of Tornado actually care.
FWIW, I'd go with longer corner posts and wider braces. Local knowledge on the depth of line posts is relevant.
Image

Image

A couple pics of Fence and one of the founders of Tornado Wire, who started as a fencing contractor. Welcome to the forum, Tonka!



its fixed knot class 3 HT. What would make it 'not that great'? Whats so good about the tornada wire, why should I switch to it?
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4915
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: 84212 fixed knot fence

Postby callmefence » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:13 pm

ddd75 wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:https://www.southernstates.com/catalog/p-4037-bekaert-solidlock-cattle-fence-12ga-660.aspx
Doesn't seem to be that great of a deal. We aren't interested in being the cheapest on the front end, but if we can supply a product that has the lowest long term cost of ownership, we've done our job well.

A couple of the independent SS stores have inquired about switching to Tornado. It seems we are starting to make a dent. You already know how I feel about Tornado, so I'll not waste the paper. Call Me Fence is a no BS kind of man, and a pretty hard sell. I left him with a roll of 949-12 and a roll of barbed wire last April, and now he has near 42,000 pounds of it in stock. I think that says quite a bit about our quality, especially with Stay Tuff and San Antonio Steel within cannon range of Fenceman's place. The same story has repeated it's self several times in the past couple of years. My two biggest local contracting competitors are all Tornado now. The wire speaks for it's self.......Especially so if you stretch a roll from the other guys along side of ours. To ice the cake, the people of Tornado actually care.
FWIW, I'd go with longer corner posts and wider braces. Local knowledge on the depth of line posts is relevant.
Image

Image

A couple pics of Fence and one of the founders of Tornado Wire, who started as a fencing contractor. Welcome to the forum, Tonka!



its fixed knot class 3 HT. What would make it 'not that great'? Whats so good about the tornada wire, why should I switch to it?


D I'm pretty sure your confused on the price or the roll size. Could you provide a link??
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.




You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

fence_it
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 211
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:31 pm
Location: way out west

Re: 84212 fixed knot fence

Postby fence_it » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:20 pm

A little off-topic question, but do any of the manufacturers make something like a 949-3? Seen a picture of a fence that only had 9 horizontal wires but looked like a 3 inch box.
0 x
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1923
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: 84212 fixed knot fence

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:22 pm

fence_it wrote:A little off-topic question, but do any of the manufacturers make something like a 949-3? Seen a picture of a fence that only had 9 horizontal wires but looked like a 3 inch box.


We can make anything you want. Fixed knot machines will run stay spacings in 3" increments.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1923
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: 84212 fixed knot fence

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:29 pm

ddd75 wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:https://www.southernstates.com/catalog/p-4037-bekaert-solidlock-cattle-fence-12ga-660.aspx
Doesn't seem to be that great of a deal. We aren't interested in being the cheapest on the front end, but if we can supply a product that has the lowest long term cost of ownership, we've done our job well.

A couple of the independent SS stores have inquired about switching to Tornado. It seems we are starting to make a dent. You already know how I feel about Tornado, so I'll not waste the paper. Call Me Fence is a no BS kind of man, and a pretty hard sell. I left him with a roll of 949-12 and a roll of barbed wire last April, and now he has near 42,000 pounds of it in stock. I think that says quite a bit about our quality, especially with Stay Tuff and San Antonio Steel within cannon range of Fenceman's place. The same story has repeated it's self several times in the past couple of years. My two biggest local contracting competitors are all Tornado now. The wire speaks for it's self.......Especially so if you stretch a roll from the other guys along side of ours. To ice the cake, the people of Tornado actually care.
FWIW, I'd go with longer corner posts and wider braces. Local knowledge on the depth of line posts is relevant.
Image

Image

A couple pics of Fence and one of the founders of Tornado Wire, who started as a fencing contractor. Welcome to the forum, Tonka!



its fixed knot class 3 HT. What would make it 'not that great'? Whats so good about the tornada wire, why should I switch to it?


I'd be glad to get some Tornado in your hands for your next fencing project. I can brag on it all day long, but it's easier if you'll just give it a chance. Cost will be the first advantage, and longevity the second. I get pretty close to you on a regular basis, and I'd be more than happy to get some wire in your hands to have a go with.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison


Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bhooper, SALTBRANCH2 and 2 guests