New Post Driver

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

New Post Driver

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:22 pm

After a year and a half of searching for the best machine for our needs, the decision has been made. The biggest weight they can hang on this one is 70 pounds lighter than my current machine, which makes me a little nervous. (840 lbs vs 770) I've got the rock spike penciled in, but not sure if I'll keep it since it will have the auger. Planning on 4" and 6" bits for sure, and thinking pretty hard about a 2". I've got a front blade, a winch, wider tracks (18" instead of 14") and a light kit on the build sheet. It will also have all JIC hose fittings instead of British Standard. This machine will weigh 11,000 pounds less than my current driver, so I'll be able to haul the driver and the skid steer on the same load. By my calculations, I should gain about 20 days of productivity per year,(not even counting the breakdowns you get with an "experienced" machine) with the added benefit of being mobile enough to head to a better climate when we get droughted or frozen out. Being able to travel efficiently would have net us close to 75 more days of work this year. Unfortunately, it will have to have a tier 4 engine. :bang: Anyhow, the Protech Evo 1 is the driver to win the prize. I've run a few of their drivers, and visited their shop.....Nice guys and quality equipment. In the end, they were one of only 2 (Simon Dale of SOLO was the other)that were willing to make some design changes to fit the needs of a stubborn American.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0rCeLwTeEM&t=327s
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Re: New Post Driver

Postby Bigfoot » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:37 pm

Nice machine. Never saw one ran, other than online. Had no idea, the driving part of those things weighed that much. A treated post can stand more than I thought they could.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:11 pm

Bigfoot wrote:Nice machine. Never saw one ran, other than online. Had no idea, the driving part of those things weighed that much. A treated post can stand more than I thought they could.

Sometimes, they can't stand it. :lol: There is usually a pretty good warning when it's going to happen, but it'll still make ya jump.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:48 am

I have seen that happen on Kevin's crew.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:04 am

Can't wait to see how it works out. I really believe your doing right getting away from the 20,000 pound machine. :shock: hydraulic rock augers are popular here and they work. But can be slow.
I've never seen one of the rock spike driver's in person. But what I've seen on YouTube made me want one bad. Like I said... can't wait to hear you compare the two.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:09 am

callmefence wrote:Can't wait to see how it works out. I really believe your doing right getting away from the 20,000 pound machine. :shock: hydraulic rock augers are popular here and they work. But can be slow.
I've never seen one of the rock spike driver's in person. But what I've seen on YouTube made me want one bad. Like I said... can't wait to hear you compare the two.

What is the rock spike?
0 x
Diogenes.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:17 am

Bright Raven wrote:
callmefence wrote:Can't wait to see how it works out. I really believe your doing right getting away from the 20,000 pound machine. :shock: hydraulic rock augers are popular here and they work. But can be slow.

What is the rock spike?

I don't know how to explain it Raven.
It's kinda like a big steel spike you drive into the rock. :cboy:

It's then pulled out leaving a pilot hole.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:18 am

callmefence wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

What is the rock spike?

I don't know how to explain it Raven.
It's kinda like a big steel spike you drive into the rock. :cboy:

It's then pulled out leaving a pilot hole.

That is what I thought. Very lucid description.
0 x
Diogenes.

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:56 am

looks pretty nice.

I like how it hits the plate instead of the post.. should really help with damaging the posts.

I also see they are using tornada wire.. :)
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:12 am

ddd75 wrote:looks pretty nice.

I like how it hits the plate instead of the post.. should really help with damaging the posts.

I have not used the tornado net wire but when it comes to barb wire, it is all I will use, hence forward.
0 x
Diogenes.

pricefarm
GURU
GURU

Postby pricefarm » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:28 am

Looks like a really nice rig. All the fence builders around here use post drivers that mount on the front of a skid steer. They seem to do a pretty good job
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:33 am

Of course they are using Tornado. ;-) 100% of the contractors that have given it a chance, are now using it on a regular basis. It is very noticeably better in quality than anything else available today, and that's not just a sales pitch. Ever wonder why Bekaert left Europe? :D
http://www.tornadowire.co.uk/about-us/
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:38 am

pricefarm wrote:Looks like a really nice rig. All the fence builders around here use post drivers that mount on the front of a skid steer. They seem to do a pretty good job

When I made the switch from a tractor mounted rig to a skid steer, I thought it couldn't get any better. When I made the switch from the skid steer mounted driver to a one man tracked unit...... :D It's tough to convince a bunch of hard headed American fence builders that there is a much better way. Me included. A skid steer and driver are certainly an effective combo, but I do prefer being able to run alone if I need to.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:39 am

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:

Of course they are using Tornado. ;-) 100% of the contractors that have given it a chance, are now using it on a regular basis. It is very noticeably better in quality than anything else available today, and that's not just a sales pitch. Ever wonder why Bekaert left Europe? :D
http://www.tornadowire.co.uk/about-us/

Is this the same person that was selling the contractor Gripple tool as the best, do everything tool?
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:40 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vl_awG5zeI

Seems to do the trick, but I think I'll go ahead and keep the rock spike on the order......just in case.
0 x

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”