New Post Driver

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
callmefence
GURU
GURU

Re: New Post Driver

Postby callmefence » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:02 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
callmefence wrote:
alpine740 wrote:Looking at a Danuser SM40 to mount on the front of my CTL. Anyone have experience with one - pros / cons? I like the grapple and the concept of setting posts without the need for a helper!

I just bought one and so far so good. I drove pipe post in near solid Rock yesterday and pretty much fell in love with the thing. It's huge advantage over other drivers is the ability to apply down pressure while you hit. This gives a huge advantage in rock. And this driver will drive in ROCK. We will see how it holds up here. danuser has been around forever. My first real machine was a danuser on a Ford 8n. Made in the USA is nice to. I'll post some video as soon as I get some time and a clear phone.

Did you get the tilt and extra weights? Looking forward to seeing it in action with pipe and rock.

Yep tilt and 500 lb wieght. I'm really in disbelief about how it drives in rock. The grapple drops 23/8 if you don't grab it just so. 27/8 no problem. I think it's gonna be a real simple modification to fix that problem.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:26 pm

callmefence wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
callmefence wrote:

I just bought one and so far so good. I drove pipe post in near solid Rock yesterday and pretty much fell in love with the thing. It's huge advantage over other drivers is the ability to apply down pressure while you hit. This gives a huge advantage in rock. And this driver will drive in ROCK. We will see how it holds up here. danuser has been around forever. My first real machine was a danuser on a Ford 8n. Made in the USA is nice to. I'll post some video as soon as I get some time and a clear phone.

Did you get the tilt and extra weights? Looking forward to seeing it in action with pipe and rock.

Yep tilt and 500 lb wieght. I'm really in disbelief about how it drives in rock. The grapple drops 23/8 if you don't grab it just so. 27/8 no problem. I think it's gonna be a real simple modification to fix that problem.

Sounds like she just needs a pair of gloves. ;-) I don't know why they don't market those more to the pipe side of things. Seems to me that'd be where they would shine. I'm gonna end strain some net with the winch on my driver today, just for you. It has a remote control, so I can see this being handy on a long rough stretch when there isn't any help to be had.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

alpine740
Beginner
Beginner

Postby alpine740 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:54 pm

Is the tilt necessary if your fencelines are fairly level? Seems like I could readily position the CTL to plumb the driver. Don't think I will need it, but don't want to 'wish I had added it'!
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:08 am

alpine740 wrote:

Is the tilt necessary if your fencelines are fairly level? Seems like I could readily position the CTL to plumb the driver. Don't think I will need it, but don't want to 'wish I had added it'!

Im sure for personal use you can get by fine without it. I've used the tilt very little so far. You have very good control over this driver with a skid steer. I do think it would be dillicult to use on a tractor fel . The tilt would definitely be more needed on the tractor.
0 x

David Crockett

fence_it
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby fence_it » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:07 pm

I'm in Missouri right now and got to watch a couple guys using a brand new T3 Danuser driving pipe. It seemed to work quite well. Fellas also said they had a SM40 that would punch pipe through just about anything. I got to look at one up close at a dealership for the first time and it looked pretty good to me. Also got to see a side mount self contained wheatheart. Lots of pipe fence built and being built down here, neat to look at something different.
0 x
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:37 pm

0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:18 am

I got some new crap to.

Image[/url]
0 x

David Crockett

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:49 am

I like that dump trailer. Wish I'd a bought one about 20 years ago.
0 x

pricefarm
GURU
GURU

Postby pricefarm » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:07 am

A dump trailer is a very handy. I bought one about 4 months or so ago and don't know what I did with out it.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:25 am

My tax deduction for the year in action.
As usual not the best video. But not much time put in it. The first post is driven 4' deep the second is driven 5'. There's about 2' of topsoil then near solid limestone.
Notice no bouncing or twisting. I still can't believe what this driver is capable of driving through.

https://youtu.be/KM_yUdY918M
0 x

David Crockett

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:35 am

yea.. all that jerking around and moving the post.. you have a pretty hollered hole at tthe end..

i've drove about 500 posts with one of those hammers.. it does pound them in through anything .. you are right.

not letting the weight rise as much seems to be the best way.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:18 am

ddd75 wrote:yea.. all that jerking around and moving the post.. you have a pretty hollered hole at tthe end..

i've drove about 500 posts with one of those hammers.. it does pound them in through anything .. you are right.

500 wow....
Thanks for your highly appreciated advice ddd.
Did you notice the post twang when the driver come off. Im thinking she might be stuck in there pretty good...but what would I know.
1 x

David Crockett

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:37 am

callmefence wrote:
ddd75 wrote:yea.. all that jerking around and moving the post.. you have a pretty hollered hole at tthe end..

500 wow....
Thanks for your highly appreciated advice ddd.
Did you notice the post twang when the driver come off. Im thinking she might be stuck in there pretty good...but what would I know.

of course its in good you are hitting it in solid rock. :lol2:

wasn't bragging about the 500 mark but I assumed you just bought this and are still getting used to it since you said somehting about a tax write off. silly me. you must have tens of thousands on it already.
1 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:20 pm

callmefence wrote:My tax deduction for the year in action.
As usual not the best video. But not much time put in it. The first post is driven 4' deep the second is driven 5'. There's about 2' of topsoil then near solid limestone.
Notice no bouncing or twisting. I still can't believe what this driver is capable of driving through.

I'm just glad to see that Donna let you have a new phone!
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:55 pm

callmefence wrote:My tax deduction for the year in action.

The first post went in a faster. Was the limestone more weathered in the second hole?

Do you have a set of bubbles that you watch to get the post plumb?

Nice machine. The driver doesn't travel very far on each drop. Looks like a one man operation. Is this driver setup for only metal posts?
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”