New Post Driver

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Re: New Post Driver

Post by Farm Fence Solutions » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:36 pm

ddd75 wrote:lookin good man!

how's she poundin?

Pretty good so far. It's always a little frustrating trying to get used to a big change like this, but well worth it. I'm just about familiar enough with it to get my hands on the right levers without looking. It's an upgrade for sure.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Post by callmefence » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:44 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:Image

looking good..... been doing a little shopping myself. should be all together by the end of the week...
It ain't bragging if you can do it.
Red Bull Breeder.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Post by Farm Fence Solutions » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:47 pm

callmefence wrote:

looking good..... been doing a little shopping myself. should be all together by the end of the week...

Looking forward to seeing it.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:49 pm

4th picture down. What is the red rig on the right?
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Post by callmefence » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:50 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
callmefence wrote:

Looking forward to seeing it.

ill take pictures with the wifes phone
Red Bull Breeder.

David Crockett

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Post by Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:00 am

Bright Raven wrote:

4th picture down. What is the red rig on the right?

My old post driver.

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Post by Farm Fence Solutions » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:06 pm

Added some tool boxes, and a pair of chain hooks to the telemast for pulling old posts if need be.

fasttommy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by fasttommy » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:04 pm

FFS, would you mind sharing your overall thoughts on your old vector post driver? Pros, cons, etc. Thank you

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Post by Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:32 am

fasttommy wrote:FFS, would you mind sharing your overall thoughts on your old vector post driver? Pros, cons, etc. Thank you

Sure. It is night and day diffrence between a pile driver style and an H beam driver. As for the Vector in particular, every hydraulic cylinder on it has been replaced or repaired, and you'd better be handy with a welder and a torch to keep one going, but still much better made than a Shaver or Worksaver. I much prefer what Protech is building, from the smallest tractor mounted driver they make, right up to the EVO 2. Full disclosure....We are now handling US sales and distribution for Protech. I honestly feel that the post drivers they build are better than anything else available, and they are contstantly trying to improve. That's why we are with Protech and not another manufacturer. Vector drivers are essentially (exactly) a copied design of Bryce Suma drivers. The owners of both Vector and Bryce Suma are less than pleasant to deal with, and any request for a modification is met with extreme resistance. Protech, on the other hand, will build a custom machine to fit a customers needs. For example, the next machine we have being built will have a hydraulic drive welder and a hydraulic post cap latch for working with longer posts. Hopefully this is helpful. If you have any specific questions about a Vector, just fire away and I'll do my best to answer.

alpine740
Beginner
Beginner

Post by alpine740 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:21 pm

Looking at a Danuser SM40 to mount on the front of my CTL. Anyone have experience with one - pros / cons? I like the grapple and the concept of setting posts without the need for a helper!

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Post by Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:44 pm

alpine740 wrote:Looking at a Danuser SM40 to mount on the front of my CTL. Anyone have experience with one - pros / cons? I like the grapple and the concept of setting posts without the need for a helper!

Yes. I did not care for them. Difficult to drive a Post straight. Some folks like them, but was too inefficient to suit me. FWIW, I’ve been driving posts without a helper for nearly a decade.

fasttommy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by fasttommy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:02 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
fasttommy wrote:FFS, would you mind sharing your overall thoughts on your old vector post driver? Pros, cons, etc. Thank you

Sure. It is night and day diffrence between a pile driver style and an H beam driver. As for the Vector in particular, every hydraulic cylinder on it has been replaced or repaired, and you'd better be handy with a welder and a torch to keep one going, but still much better made than a Shaver or Worksaver. I much prefer what Protech is building, from the smallest tractor mounted driver they make, right up to the EVO 2. Full disclosure....We are now handling US sales and distribution for Protech. I honestly feel that the post drivers they build are better than anything else available, and they are contstantly trying to improve. That's why we are with Protech and not another manufacturer. Vector drivers are essentially (exactly) a copied design of Bryce Suma drivers. The owners of both Vector and Bryce Suma are less than pleasant to deal with, and any request for a modification is met with extreme resistance. Protech, on the other hand, will build a custom machine to fit a customers needs. For example, the next machine we have being built will have a hydraulic drive welder and a hydraulic post cap latch for working with longer posts. Hopefully this is helpful. If you have any specific questions about a Vector, just fire away and I'll do my best to answer.

Thanks a bunch, I appreciate the insight.

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Post by ddd75 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:55 am

alpine740 wrote:Looking at a Danuser SM40 to mount on the front of my CTL. Anyone have experience with one - pros / cons? I like the grapple and the concept of setting posts without the need for a helper!

its ok.. you have to be really easy hitting the posts with it..

it wobbles around quite a bit, hollering the post hole out when it does.

I set a lot with that driver and a lot of them were slightly loose the next year.

grapple did work great and it does the job.. will pound through very rough ground.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Post by callmefence » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:07 am

I just bought one and so far so good. I drove pipe post in near solid Rock yesterday and pretty much fell in love with the thing. It's huge advantage over other drivers is the ability to apply down pressure while you hit. This gives a huge advantage in rock. And this driver will drive in ROCK. We will see how it holds up here. danuser has been around forever. My first real machine was a danuser on a Ford 8n. Made in the USA is nice to. I'll post some video as soon as I get some time and a clear phone.
Red Bull Breeder.

David Crockett

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Post by Farm Fence Solutions » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:41 am

callmefence wrote:

I just bought one and so far so good. I drove pipe post in near solid Rock yesterday and pretty much fell in love with the thing. It's huge advantage over other drivers is the ability to apply down pressure while you hit. This gives a huge advantage in rock. And this driver will drive in ROCK. We will see how it holds up here. danuser has been around forever. My first real machine was a danuser on a Ford 8n. Made in the USA is nice to. I'll post some video as soon as I get some time and a clear phone.

Did you get the tilt and extra weights? Looking forward to seeing it in action with pipe and rock.