using equine electric tape

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
BK9954
GURU
GURU

using equine electric tape

Postby BK9954 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:03 am

Has anybody use that temporary electric equine tape to keep cattle in. We have a drought going on but I have pastors I haven't used yet that I could let my cattle graze on.
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Re: using equine electric tape

Postby kenny thomas » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:08 am

I use polywire all the time if thats ehat your refering to. Mine is maybe 1" white. Enev use it as an alley to the lot from 2 pastures
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:21 am

kenny thomas wrote:I use polywire all the time if thats ehat your refering to. Mine is maybe 1" white. Enev use it as an alley to the lot from 2 pastures

Yes that's what I am talking about, it's for pastures to rough to put permanent fence. My cattle will stay in with single wire. What kind of post do you use? Plastic or T post? And I just tie on the hot wire to keep the charge.
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:28 am

I use a quality step in. Mine are probably 10 years old with 0 breakage. Sometimes if it's a corner I use a t post and sometimes just add an extra step in.

sstterry
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sstterry » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:59 pm

kenny thomas wrote:I use a quality step in. Mine are probably 10 years old with 0 breakage. Sometimes if it's a corner I use a t post and sometimes just add an extra step in.

Which step ins do you use?

Texas PaPaw
GURU
GURU

Postby Texas PaPaw » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:16 pm

If you're moving fence a lot, highly recommend the plastic stepin from kencove.com. They are durable and have nice sized step for hard dry ground. If not moving much, the grey fg stepins at TSC are pretty good but step is so small can be hard to push into hard ground. IMO-Kencove has the best products at very competitive prices and most ship free to your door. I have used the polytape in past but don't like the reduced durability and other issues compared to polywire/twine. I have gone to using the 1/3" polyrope for gates and other places where need higher visibility. Make sure you get a really HOT charger and plenty of ground rods as charger is the heart of the whole system. Skimping on a cheaper charger can make your life miserable.
Good luck & happy trails.

Brock

Brock's Law "If you do enough stumblin', you'll stumble on to something"

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:12 pm

sstterry wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:I use a quality step in. Mine are probably 10 years old with 0 breakage. Sometimes if it's a corner I use a t post and sometimes just add an extra step in.

Mine are either the kincove or one just like them. I will look later and see for sure. But to me if your going to use them long-term buy the good ones.

sstterry
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sstterry » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:26 pm

kenny thomas wrote:
sstterry wrote:

Mine are either the kincove or one just like them. I will look later and see for sure. But to me if your going to use them long-term buy the good ones.

Do you order them or is there a local place to buy them. The ones from TSC suck!

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:31 pm

I buy mine local from a fence company.
I will get some info before tonight. Shipping shoul dnt be an issue but I bought 100 I think,

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:06 pm

sstterry wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:
sstterry wrote:

Do you order them or is there a local place to buy them. The ones from TSC suck!

Yes, I just had one from TSC break today when I was stepping it into the ground. The poly tape works great, cattle wouldn't even get close to it, I guess the hot wire from the other pastures has them trained on anything hanging from a post, or they can smell it.

sstterry
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sstterry » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:17 pm

BK9954 wrote:
sstterry wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:Mine are either the kincove or one just like them. I will look later and see for sure. But to me if your going to use them long-term buy the good ones.

Yes, I just had one from TSC break today when I was stepping it into the ground. The poly tape works great, cattle wouldn't even get close to it, I guess the hot wire from the other pastures has them trained on anything hanging from a post, or they can smell it.

I have had them melt and bend over in the heat, and I live in Tennessee!

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:39 am

Y'alls ground is softer than mine. I use the fiberglass posts with a insulator and beat them in with a hammer every 10 steps. The broken plastic post work really good screwed to trees as an insulator for electric fence.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:17 am

One strand electric is not sufficient fence in Texas. It gets really tricky along road right of ways as Texas is a hodgepodge of local county ordinance on fence.

Better read this

https://agrilife.org/texasaglaw/files/2 ... wnload.pdf
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:26 am

Caustic Burno wrote:One strand electric is not sufficient fence in Texas. It gets really tricky along road right of ways as Texas is a hodgepodge of local county ordinance on fence.

Better read this

https://agrilife.org/texasaglaw/files/2 ... wnload.pdf

Yes I have read it 20 times before building on my creek, I never could find where it said it was legal to build a 5 strand electric high tensile fence on the road way, only barbed wire. I built a 5 wire high tensile electric on my creek and along the road where it floods anyway, no one said a word. The 1 wire I am using is behind old rusty fence that won't keep cattle in, but this 1 wire will. I have had the county animal control back on my place to look at it. I had a Rouge bull take up on my back acres for a while, he jumped the rusty fence but wouldn't make it through the hot wire for the cows. Had to drag him out with horses and dogs.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:27 am

It’s all about the liability bill.
Doesn’t matter what you think only what the state and a lawyer willing to file on you think about the law.
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.