Side stepping the Dealers

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
M-5
GURU
GURU

Side stepping the Dealers

Postby M-5 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:59 am

Last year I broke a header pickup reel bar on my NH baler its just a 1.5 x 1.5 x 1/4" angle. I scabbed and welded it back . 2 weeks ago I broke 2 more bars . they are all breaking around the center teeth hole. and the cracks look like they have been there for a while.

I tore it down last weekend and found I needed to replace the cam bearings so I decided I need to go ahead and replace the bars. 225.00 per bar from any dealer I checked. So I called the local steel yard 40 bucks for a 20' stick. I had a small cheap drill press. but i figured I could buy a new cheap drill press and pay for it easy. so will have about 40 bucks in each bar and I have a jig made so it takes about 15 min to drill the holes on each one. Im fortunate the rain is holding me up an allows me to make the repair or it would have cost around a grand.
1 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Side stepping the Dealers

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:09 am

Darryl

You have to wonder why more people don't do that. It does not sound complicated. It is probably a function of time.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:11 am

How many rolls have been run through that baler?
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:15 am

because most grew up with throw away and buy new mentality. I have always been too POOR to do that I had to fix what was broke to get the job finished. I had a belt break on the cloths drier a few weeks back. how many folks would have just bought a new one instead of buying an 8 dollar belt and taking 30min to put it on. Its the MALE Figures fault raising these kids and not teaching them critical thinking and how to fix things.
4 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:16 am

True Grit Farms wrote:How many rolls have been run through that baler?

best guess is around 6000.
1 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:20 am

M-5 wrote:because most grew up with throw away and buy new mentality. I have always been too POOR to do that I had to fix what was broke to get the job finished. I had a belt break on the cloths drier a few weeks back. how many folks would have just bought a new one instead of buying an 8 dollar belt and taking 30min to put it on. Its the MALE Figures fault raising these kids and not teaching them critical thinking and how to fix things.

IDK if that fully explains it. I know a lot of poor people who cannot change a tire. They sit in squalor before they will repair their washer. On the other hand, I have a friend who is 80 and has over a million setting in cash and he still fixes enerything.
0 x
Diogenes.

jehosofat
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby jehosofat » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:34 am

Bright Raven wrote:
IDK if that fully explains it. I know a lot of poor people who cannot change a tire. They sit in squalor before they will repair their washer. On the other hand, I have a friend who is 80 and has over a million setting in cash and he still fixes enerything.

No, you know a lot of poor people who WON'T change a tire.
1 x

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:38 am

M-5 wrote:Last year I broke a header pickup reel bar on my NH baler its just a 1.5 x 1.5 x 1/4" angle. I scabbed and welded it back . 2 weeks ago I broke 2 more bars . they are all breaking around the center teeth hole. and the cracks look like they have been there for a while.

I tore it down last weekend and found I needed to replace the cam bearings so I decided I need to go ahead and replace the bars. 225.00 per bar from any dealer I checked. So I called the local steel yard 40 bucks for a 20' stick. I had a small cheap drill press. but i figured I could buy a new cheap drill press and pay for it easy. so will have about 40 bucks in each bar and I have a jig made so it takes about 15 min to drill the holes on each one. Im fortunate the rain is holding me up an allows me to make the repair or it would have cost around a grand.

I hope this works out for you I suspect that the OEM bars were heat treated. You may start bending in the middle of the bars in heavy hay.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:43 am

jehosofat wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

No, you know a lot of poor people who WON'T change a tire.

I think some actually do not know how. I suspect you are correct, more just won't.

My point: Being poor does not necessarily provide an incentive to get things done. That probably explains why some stay poor.
0 x
Diogenes.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:47 am

hurleyjd wrote:
M-5 wrote:Last year I broke a header pickup reel bar on my NH baler its just a 1.5 x 1.5 x 1/4" angle. I scabbed and welded it back . 2 weeks ago I broke 2 more bars . they are all breaking around the center teeth hole. and the cracks look like they have been there for a while.

I hope this works out for you I suspect that the OEM bars were heat treated. You may start bending in the middle of the bars in heavy hay.

if they are the are pizzpoor heat treated. the one that was not broken was bent and It straightened with ease in the press. most all angle is heat broken so each batch has a different hardness. I do have a forge and can heat treat if necessary.
0 x

ranchersswiss
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ranchersswiss » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:54 am

Well, it's a good thing that you had it repaired all by yourself. This is just amazing!
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:29 am

ranchersswiss wrote:Well, it's a good thing that you had it repaired all by yourself. This is just amazing!

My point is we are not working on the space shuttle and Dealers have for years increased their margins and stocked less and less parts so they can capitalize on the service depts to repair equipment. Its likely not going to change because we have created a society dependent on someone else. I flat refuse to pay 5 times the money on simple parts . The dad-gum bearings were 40 buck a piece with a made in china label.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:42 pm

Very nice.. I wish steel was that cheap here.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:49 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:

I priced a some 4x4 1/8 wall square to and its 180 buck a 20'stick
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:01 pm

M-5 wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

I priced a some 4x4 1/8 wall square to and its 180 buck a 20'stick

Dag
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”