LockJawz T Post Insulators

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
Post Reply
User avatar
sstterry
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1335
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:04 am
Location: Bulls Gap, TN
Has thanked: 260 times
Been thanked: 168 times

LockJawz T Post Insulators

Post by sstterry » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:29 am

Image

Has anyone used these T-Post insulators? If so are they any good?



Kjfred
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:19 pm
Location: Central MN

Re: LockJawz T Post Insulators

Post by Kjfred » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:46 pm

I bought a bag to try. Only used a few so far but they seem a heck of a lot better than the yellow farm store variety. They snap on tight and hold the wire nicely
No matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1747
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Piedmont of SC
Has thanked: 179 times
Been thanked: 368 times

Re: LockJawz T Post Insulators

Post by Ebenezer » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:33 am

Let me know an update when the deer have run through.

User avatar
JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4495
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:51 pm
Location: Middle Georgia
Has thanked: 287 times
Been thanked: 305 times

Re: LockJawz T Post Insulators

Post by JMJ Farms » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:19 pm

Ebenezer wrote:Let me know an update when the deer have run through.


Has anyone here ever put the wire on the outside of the posts, away from the pasture/field when using electric fence? I’ve never tried it, and it may not make any difference at all as deer travel both ways, but I’ve considered it. Guess anything is destructible when deer are involved.
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 24194
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas
Has thanked: 193 times
Been thanked: 545 times

Re: LockJawz T Post Insulators

Post by Caustic Burno » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:31 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
Ebenezer wrote:Let me know an update when the deer have run through.


Has anyone here ever put the wire on the outside of the posts, away from the pasture/field when using electric fence? I’ve never tried it, and it may not make any difference at all as deer travel both ways, but I’ve considered it. Guess anything is destructible when deer are involved.


It always amazes me how deer can make electric fence look like an explosion in a steel wool factory.
For 11 months no problem, they know the fence is hot. When the rut hits they don’t care. I have the lights that flash when the electric fence is down, I can tell you the day the rut kicks off.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9454
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia
Has thanked: 185 times
Been thanked: 569 times

Re: LockJawz T Post Insulators

Post by True Grit Farms » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:38 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
Ebenezer wrote:Let me know an update when the deer have run through.


Has anyone here ever put the wire on the outside of the posts, away from the pasture/field when using electric fence? I’ve never tried it, and it may not make any difference at all as deer travel both ways, but I’ve considered it. Guess anything is destructible when deer are involved.

I turn every other T post so the wire is pushing and pulling on the insulators. We have very little problems with the deer tearing stuff up. The deer tangle a single hot wire around the barb wire fairly often. Wish I'd of never put a piece of barb wire on the place, nothing but work.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14735
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada
Has thanked: 600 times
Been thanked: 460 times

Re: LockJawz T Post Insulators

Post by Nesikep » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:03 pm

I agree.. I'm hating barbed more and more.. We made the mistake of putting the mainline for the hot wire in 20ga galvanized along the top.. ALWAYS tangled, ALWAYS broken, and you'll find it wrapped up in your cutter heads, rototiller, or something

Instead of the 12.5ga HT I might try some 14ga.. maybe it'll be a little more friendly to work with.. I'd rather have one extra strand.

Those insulators look good.. especially around slight bends.. I'd use it for polywire though.
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
sstterry
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1335
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:04 am
Location: Bulls Gap, TN
Has thanked: 260 times
Been thanked: 168 times

Re: LockJawz T Post Insulators

Post by sstterry » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:35 am

Nesikep wrote:I agree.. I'm hating barbed more and more.. We made the mistake of putting the mainline for the hot wire in 20ga galvanized along the top.. ALWAYS tangled, ALWAYS broken, and you'll find it wrapped up in your cutter heads, rototiller, or something

Instead of the 12.5ga HT I might try some 14ga.. maybe it'll be a little more friendly to work with.. I'd rather have one extra strand.

Those insulators look good.. especially around slight bends.. I'd use it for polywire though.


Would 14 gage be strong enough? Most places only sell the 12 and 12.5, but I have wondered about using 14 gage since I am terrible at tying the heavier wire and making it look good.

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9454
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia
Has thanked: 185 times
Been thanked: 569 times

Re: LockJawz T Post Insulators

Post by True Grit Farms » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:57 am

14ga is alright but it rust and isn't half as tuff as 12ga. So far all the 12ga high tensile wire we have, we haven't been able to tear up.12 ga is a pain to work with compared to the 14ga but well worth the effort.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
sstterry
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1335
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:04 am
Location: Bulls Gap, TN
Has thanked: 260 times
Been thanked: 168 times

Re: LockJawz T Post Insulators

Post by sstterry » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:24 am

True Grit Farms wrote:14ga is alright but it rust and isn't half as tuff as 12ga. So far all the 12ga high tensile wire we have, we haven't been able to tear up.12 ga is a pain to work with compared to the 14ga but well worth the effort.


I just can't work with the 12 ga but I can make do with the 12 1/2.

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14735
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada
Has thanked: 600 times
Been thanked: 460 times

Re: LockJawz T Post Insulators

Post by Nesikep » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:21 am

Rust isn't a concern here, there's wire from 1940 on some fences still.. perhaps 14ga is a little light, guess it depends on where it's used.. Perhaps lower strands would be appropriate
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Post Reply