Electric cross fences

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
fasttommy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Electric cross fences

Postby fasttommy » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:06 pm

The wire you are looking at is great. It will last a really, really long time. Just do not monkey with knotting it, make all connections with crimp sleeves. The 200ksi is too stiff for easy knotting. But it is quite a bit stronger than 170ksi. It is super cheap for what you are getting and it goes up really fast. Plus you are only doing it once, instead of putting up and taking down all the time (i.e. doing everything with polywire). One strand should work fine, unless in your soil you need to run a ground wire for electric functionality, then use two. If it were me, I would use diagonal braces rather than a single post brace, but maybe your soil is more stable than mine. I'd probably put 3 permanent cross fences in (2 more parallel to the one in your drawing so you have four roughly equal size pastures that are 660' wide. This is much a more manageable distance for setting up/taking down polywire. Gates on the ends. The trouble with that would be water, you'd have to run two waterlines (one down each of the outside fencelines) rather than one. Yes, portable tanks would be great if you can pump water from the pond so that you can keep the tank full when cattle are drinking. Otherwise put in about 6 or 8 tire tanks (several along each waterline) with float valves and gravity flow if you can. I have no clue if you have enough elevation drop for gravity flow though, maybe that won't work. No need for "hole" style waterers, just use either portable or tires. Portable tanks take a bit more time to move around though. With the tire tank setup, just run out your polywire break, let the cows through, and go home.
0 x

T & B farms
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby T & B farms » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:15 pm

All good info and I apreciate it very much. Yes there will be cows wintered here, so watering system has to be freeze proof. Once the grass is mostly gone (most years jan-mid March, I quick rotating them so much and feed hay) although, if I decide to go with Bermuda on this 160, I will drill wheat or rye into it. I can’t picture how a portable tank will work? I’m not overly concerned about a little extra work and money if it is worthwhile. I am young, enterjeric, and have most all the tools I could ever need to Lay water lines and such.

Edited to add there is no power on this property, so any type of electric heater is out. Unless there is some kind of solar powered heater I am not aware of
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:20 am

T & B farms wrote:All good info and I apreciate it very much. Yes there will be cows wintered here, so watering system has to be freeze proof. Once the grass is mostly gone (most years jan-mid March, I quick rotating them so much and feed hay) although, if I decide to go with Bermuda on this 160, I will drill wheat or rye into it. I can’t picture how a portable tank will work? I’m not overly concerned about a little extra work and money if it is worthwhile. I am young, enterjeric, and have most all the tools I could ever need to Lay water lines and such.

Edited to add there is no power on this property, so any type of electric heater is out. Unless there is some kind of solar powered heater I am not aware of

we've had down to over -5 here several days in a row and i'm happy with my Cobbett waterers. no heat.
0 x

T & B farms
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby T & B farms » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:23 pm

ddd75 wrote:
T & B farms wrote:All good info and I apreciate it very much. Yes there will be cows wintered here, so watering system has to be freeze proof. Once the grass is mostly gone (most years jan-mid March, I quick rotating them so much and feed hay) although, if I decide to go with Bermuda on this 160, I will drill wheat or rye into it. I can’t picture how a portable tank will work? I’m not overly concerned about a little extra work and money if it is worthwhile. I am young, enterjeric, and have most all the tools I could ever need to Lay water lines and such.

we've had down to over -5 here several days in a row and i'm happy with my Cobbett waterers. no heat.

I like the looks and design of those, just not sure they would accommodate as many head as I’m needing. I’m not sure what I will do as of yet. You guys have given me a lot of good advice and things to research. Thank you all much
0 x

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”