Easy Pasture Profit !

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
Dave
GURU
GURU

Re: Easy Pasture Profit !

Post by Dave » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:26 am

Idaho Power is going to build a big power line through here. Crossing the neighbor he wants them to take a different route than they would like to go. His route is over a mile longer. They offered him an extra million dollars to go their route. I am pretty sure he didn't pay a million dollars for the entire place when he bought it 25 years ago.

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Coosh71 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:40 am

TCRanch wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:13 pm
Lot of black gold in KS & OK. Royalties are nice, don't get me wrong, but you also have to deal with spills, leaks, EPA, County Officials, pumpers that leave gates open (clearly ignoring the KEEP GATE CLOSED signs), ruts, tearing up your pastures, you have to have an iron clad legal contract, deal with utility companies, moving cattle at the most inconvenient time, fences down/broken and rig workers of questionable character (including records). Just to name a few. ;-)
TC, that sums it up perfectly. Nice but everything has a cost.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:44 am

Dave wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:26 am
Idaho Power is going to build a big power line through here. Crossing the neighbor he wants them to take a different route than they would like to go. His route is over a mile longer. They offered him an extra million dollars to go their route. I am pretty sure he didn't pay a million dollars for the entire place when he bought it 25 years ago.
Right place at the right time.
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Coosh71 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:52 am

TCRanch wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:20 am
Chocolate Cow2 wrote:TC-around here gates are out of the question when it comes to oil pumpers. Cattle guards only. Those guys will not get out of a truck to open or close a gate. ain't gonna happen. I don't have a corral in any pasture where there is a cattle guard. Too much risk of cattle theft. I have a portable corral that's set up, used to move the cows, then folded up and brought home. Give those guys an inch and they'll take a mile. They'll throw trash out in the pasture. Some of those rubber pipe plugs really attract the interest of the cows. I've followed one while she was chewing on it and finally dropped the thing. If she would have swallowed it, I believe it would have eventually killed her. I carry a rifle when I'm checking cattle in those pastures 'cause like you said, you've got no idea who you might encounter. Lots of wind towers to the east of me and while I'm not crazy about them, they appear to carry less risk as far as dealing with people. We did have one implode and burn up. Set some pastures on fire. Guess you gotta pick your poison.
The trash!!! :mad: :mad: Went out the gate in the south pasture a couple weeks ago & discovered tracks in the mud all along the road. Immediately did a complete inventory of the herd & all were accounted for so evidently the gate was left open, they grazed along the road & eventually went back into the pasture (my girls know they've got a good thing going on here). Sent pics to the pumper & busted his chops. Is this a regular occurrence? Just happened to be muddy that day so the evidence was clear. So now there's a lock on that gate, mainly as a reminder for him & anyone else that needs access to SHUT it. They wanted to install cattle guards and we refused for the same security reasons but damned if you do, damned if you don't. :bang:
We negotiated (after unfortunate experience) a $2000 per accurance on any tracks PERIOD off designated roadways. Filled our overhead a few times... Now no issues with that.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:45 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:44 am
Dave wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:26 am
Right place at the right time.
But he is turning them down! Told them that after a while the money would be gone but the power line would still be there. He is in his 80's and pretty well off, but if I were his grandson we would be talking.....

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:03 am

Oh my!
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TexasBred » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:23 am

TCRanch wrote:
Lot of black gold in KS & OK. Royalties are nice, don't get me wrong, but you also have to deal with spills, leaks, EPA, County Officials, pumpers that leave gates open (clearly ignoring the KEEP GATE CLOSED signs), ruts, tearing up your pastures, you have to have an iron clad legal contract, deal with utility companies, moving cattle at the most inconvenient time, fences down/broken and rig workers of questionable character (including records). Just to name a few. ;-)
TC you must be dealing with some pretty low life folks. We've never had any of those problems.
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:33 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:23 am
TCRanch wrote:
TC you must be dealing with some pretty low life folks. We've never had any of those problems.
Teeth are optional, especially when it comes to the guys pushing the rigs. Fortunately now that everything's up & running (and fixed multiple times) we mainly only have to deal with the pumper. We did have a little come-to-Jesus and reached an understanding. He's a huge guy, former military, open carries and probably not used to landowners calling him out. I think a lot of the problem is the oil company that now owns the lease is in TX (just outside Houston) so there's quite often a lack of communication & subsequent delay resolving any issues. The other problem is (presumably) meth heads trying to steal copper or anything of value, hence a lot of repairs & wells down.