Ritchie Fence Line Waterers

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
doe4zam
Beginner
Beginner

Postby doe4zam » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:13 pm

Ritchie definatly. This is why I choose an energy free covered Ritchie over a energy free Mirafount

Ritchie 1st and foremost has a 10 year warranty, Mirafounts is 5. I have a 4 hole covered waterer. Ritchie has elliptical shaped balls instead of round. I can tip them to reach the water with my finger. Not a lot of pressure. Mirafounts have round balls that require quite a bit of pressure then they need to push the balls under a lip on the side so that they can drink. And then the balls will pop back up. Imagine if you were to push a beach ball into the water at a lake. Takes a lot to push it down and then pops right back into the air. I have found that cattle can not drink out of all 4 holes in a Mirafount at the same time. When they push down the balls it creates so much pressure in the other holes that they can not push the balls down to drink.

Another thing that I like about the Ritchie is that I do not need any tools to get to the valve on the occasion I need to. Just have to lift off the lid. I have clumbsy fingers and have a habit of loosing things even if they are stapled to my head so the small parts on the Mirafount would not work for me. That red lid is supposed to freeze down in the winter on the Ritchie instead of relying on the gaskets that freeze and tear in a Mirafount.

Ritchie insulation and plastic is thicker. This was obvious to me when I found out that Mirafount requires a neck bar over their larger units so that cattle wont stand in the unit which could cause them to go through voiding their warranty. Ritchie does not require a neck bar on the large units. I asked about this and the guy I spoke to said that the cattle can actually stand in the waterer and will not go through.

I do not have electricity ran to my covered Ritchie and have not had a problem with them freezing. I guess I am kind of partial. Have had some bad experiance in the past with other waterers and haven't had any with Ritchie. I guess spending the extra $ on quality was worth it to me.
0 x

Crowderfarms
Wagon Master
Wagon Master

Postby Crowderfarms » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:58 pm

I'm def. going with Ritchies'. I just wanted to get some feedback from those of you that have used them.Our FSA office recommended this brand. Around here, very few people use waterers in Cattle operations, mostly for high dollar horse farms. The best thing about them, is Uncle Sam will pay 75% of all costs.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:04 pm

For freezeproof waterers around here the real preference is for the concrete ones that are buried with a pile of dirt over them for insulation. I do have a small one that I don;t use, not even sure where it is now, that has valve in it that will open when the temp hits a user set temp and allows water to trickle through the waterer.

dun
0 x

ollie'
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ollie' » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:08 pm

dun wrote:For freezeproof waterers around here the real preference is for the concrete ones that are buried with a pile of dirt over them for insulation. I do have a small one that I don;t use, not even sure where it is now, that has valve in it that will open when the temp hits a user set temp and allows water to trickle through the waterer.

dun
That is what I am taking out.Polytron piece of junk!. When you were talking about richie , I thought you were talking of the electric type. I have no experience with the floating ball richies. The mirafounts are fantastic in the two hole waterer size. The open top large size (big open tank) is made out of a completely different material. I have a mirafount in my bull pen with nothing around it. My bulls sometimes get bored an stand and bash their head on it for days on end. Each year I try to tighten up the bolts if their loose. They havn't cracked the tank yet. If richie is stronger than that I don't know why it would be ...richie is a nice product though.
0 x
* never let the sun set on a down cow or a fight with your wife *

JHH
GURU
GURU

Postby JHH » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:25 pm

Hey ollie' or anyone else for that matter, I am getting ready to put a water supply besides the pond ( which needs to be redone) out at the farm. But I have no electric out there (yet).
will those mirafounts work out there? I always bring cows in for winter at the house so I can keep a better eye on things but in next year or so will (hopefully have to many) to do this and was just thinking on getting something like that. But there is also a deep well out there that I use some with windmill that still works. any suggetions?
0 x

ollie'
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ollie' » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:21 pm

If you can get city water/well water that is pressurized the mirafounts will work without electricity and I guess from the posts that richie makes one that'll work as well. Duns buried waterer works good too. I know a guy that put in a buried waterer off of a pond after the pond was built by taking a dozer and pushing a sharpened piece of pipe through the dam with a dozer. I would be a little scared it would leak but he said it worked for him.
0 x
* never let the sun set on a down cow or a fight with your wife *

Crowderfarms
Wagon Master
Wagon Master

Postby Crowderfarms » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:29 pm

Hey, TCM, What's your last name. You look real familiar. You live down in Rhea County?
0 x

Crowderfarms
Wagon Master
Wagon Master

Postby Crowderfarms » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:43 pm

TennCattleMan57 wrote:Yeah possibly why who are you?
I've been to some sales down that way. I've seen you at one.
0 x

Crowderfarms
Wagon Master
Wagon Master

Postby Crowderfarms » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:58 pm

TennCattleMan57 wrote:Was it at a sweetwater sale? back in I think september? I think I went to one at the athens stockyard as well back I think in august. I have also been to the all in one sale in cookeville a couple times to meet joe colmore the guy I bought my salers heifer from.
Had to be at the Sweetwater sale. I remember you.
0 x

Bez!
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Bez! » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:21 pm

TennCattleMan57 wrote:Possibly so was my son on here making an be nice earlier of himself? Im gonna have to leave this site as he has embarrased me. I am scared to even show my face in public with the way he has acted. I saw some from early a couple weeks ago and asked him nicely to stop. I think im just gonna cancel the high speed internet. I think he plays on this site in his oak ridge apartment as well. At any rate he has made a mockery of our name. I hate him for that. He has tried so hard to destroy everything we work for. He has special needs.(Ie is hearing impaired and has adhd.) He thinks he can just go through life treating people like crap. Again I apologize if he has caused problems I will rectify them will just have to either a. cut off internet entirely and or b just delete my account on here. Im sure most people would prefer to see the later. Perhaps I should go ahead and do that as im sure my son said crap on here that he knows better than to say.

Do not know you and do not know if you speak truth - but you may - so .......

Nuthin' says you have to leave - start a new account and do not let him know the password.

Do not use auto-log-in. He cannot access your account. Let him be the fool and you be the honourable - pretty straight forward to me.

Bez!
Last edited by Bez! on Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

certherfbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby certherfbeef » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:23 pm

TennCattleMan57 wrote: I hate him for that.

:shock: :shock: kinda of harsh words to aim at your own flesh and blood arn't they? Your "special needs" son no less. :shock: :shock:
0 x
Where will you be sitting in eternity?

Smoking or non-smoking?

Crowderfarms
Wagon Master
Wagon Master

Postby Crowderfarms » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:24 pm

TennCattleMan57 wrote:Possibly so was my son on here making an be nice earlier of himself? Im gonna have to leave this site as he has embarrased me. I am scared to even show my face in public with the way he has acted. I saw some from early a couple weeks ago and asked him nicely to stop. I think im just gonna cancel the high speed internet. I think he plays on this site in his oak ridge apartment as well. At any rate he has made a mockery of our name. I hate him for that. He has tried so hard to destroy everything we work for. He has special needs.(Ie is hearing impaired and has adhd.) He thinks he can just go through life treating people like crap. Again I apologize if he has caused problems I will rectify them will just have to either a. cut off internet entirely and or b just delete my account on here. Im sure most people would prefer to see the later. Perhaps I should go ahead and do that as im sure my son said crap on here that he knows better than to say.
IF indeed it was your Son, and he has special needs, I would seriously stop calling him names, and be-littling a person that cant control themself.But I dont think you'd convince any of us it was anyone else but you. Most of us did not fall off the Turnip Truck... Most of us drive it.
0 x

Bez!
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Bez! » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:26 pm

Crowderfarms wrote:
IF indeed it was your Son, and he has special needs, I would seriously stop calling him names, and be-littling a person that cant control themself.But I dont think you'd convince any of us it was anyone else but you. Most of us did not fall off the Turnip Truck... Most of us drive it.

Wait a freaking minute!!

You mean there are more turnip truck drivers out there?

I thought I was a solo act!!!

Bez!
0 x

la4angus
GURU
GURU

Postby la4angus » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:39 pm

TennCattleMan57 wrote:I think ill just delete my account on here and start a new and dont do the auto log in like Ive been doing in the past. God how could I have been so stupid to use the auto login this has been a darn nightmare.
Why don't you just delete your account. If you do come back and post with no more dignity than you have been doing, we'll all know it's you. Maybe this time you gonna blame it on your wife.
0 x
Hoff First Edition 058 242

Bez!
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Bez! » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:45 pm

TennCattleMan57 wrote:Where do I go to delete my account?

You do not - it stays forever.

Change the password - Mr. or Junior - whoever I am talking to and it is yours alone - first to change the profile wins.

Otherwise start over - choice is yours. Remove auto-log-in.

Bez!
0 x

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”