Syringe Problems

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
J&T Farm
Rancher
Rancher

Postby J&T Farm » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:31 am

TennCattleMan57 wrote:Ive sometimes seen the same thing with 18 inch not very often though

but 18 inches long, what are you giving shots to, an elephant.
0 x
Farmin' for a Livin'

Daybreak
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Daybreak » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:51 am

Howdy,

Same here, lock luer disposibles. 3cc + 6cc syringes for most things. A supply of 12cc around for when you need 10cc a location of LA-200 or something. 18ga 3/4 for SQ and 18ga 1 1/2 for IM.

Might reuse the syringe portion during a session, but will change out needles all the time. Maybe new syringe after 10 or so thru. End of day, all used get thrown away.
0 x
~~Later Mike
Daybreak Farm
Registered Black Angus

ga. prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga. prime » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:49 pm

Thanks for all the replies, folks. I think Texan is on the right track when he says junk is plugging the needle. I've been using 16's and am having problems depressing the plunger. I didn't used to have this problem with IM injects, but now everything is subQ, and I have problems depressing the plunger. How about a 14 guage? I may be going in at too much of an angle with the 16's.
0 x

Mahoney Pursley Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Mahoney Pursley Ranch » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:16 pm

TennCattleMan57 wrote:uhhhhhhh needle man yall got some dirty minds.
Yall knew this was a thread about syringes and we were talking bout needles. Need i really clarify?
Dirty minds were not the issue. Just waited to see how long it would take you to catch your mistake about ga. versus inches. I think that is what Texan meant also.
0 x
If it will it will
If it won't it won't ---------- Bocephus

semen demon
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby semen demon » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:37 pm

Use the syringes that are made by Monoject, they are twice the quality of the ones sold at TSC or some store that are usually Ideal Instrument brand.
0 x

Texan
GURU
GURU

Postby Texan » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:49 pm

ga. prime wrote: How about a 14 guage? I may be going in at too much of an angle with the 16's.

I wouldn't use anything any bigger than a 16 for SQ. If you're having trouble picking up tissue, you might try a 3/4 or 5/8 B-bevel needle. Some suppliers might call them short-bevels. They also make one handed SQ vaccinations much quicker and easier.
0 x

Bez'

Re: Syringe Problems

Postby Bez' » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:33 pm

ga. prime wrote:Anybody got a tip on how to keep a syringe plunger from sticking to the walls of the syringe tube? Explain in detail, if you don't mind.

Sounds to me like you might be having this problem while doing sub Q injections - are you "tenting" the skin to inject?

If so, the syringe is probably not sticking, you are driving the needle into the hide on the other side of the tent just a little tiny bit and blocking the needle.

If so, you need to STOP tenting and use a different method for sub Q injections - I will not go into it now, but I have detailed it a couple of times in the past - faster, simpler and far easier than wasting time on the tenting method.

Let me know if this is the case and I will go through it one more time for you. If not - well, then I have no idea what the problem might be.

Stay well,

Bez'
0 x

ga. prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga. prime » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:51 am

Bez', I just went back in the archives and read your post on your vaccinating technique. I'll try it. Will also check into the short bevels suggested by Texan.
0 x

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”