pecan cracker

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Re: pecan cracker

Post by cowgirl8 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:22 am

I have one papershell that makes giant nuts. Love shelling them, I can get the meat out whole and they are beautiful. We planted it 30 years ago so I don't remember what variety it is.. but I believe it was an indian named one..

For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

jschoolcraft86
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by jschoolcraft86 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:59 pm

Mohawk is pretty big.

The biggest variety in Texas is Podsednik but they have some issues with how well they fill out.

Here is a pic of a board of every variety in the state they have you make at the Pecan Short Course @ TAMU. They are in descending order by size. I can try to take a better pic of the board if this isn't clear enough (It seems pretty dark).

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:40 am

Toes............. :lol: :lol:
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

jschoolcraft86
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by jschoolcraft86 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:16 am

Lol, you’re focused on the wrong details! Photography has never been one of my talents ;)

ccr
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by ccr » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:04 pm

I've got two pawnee pecan trees. Both produced a bunch of pecans last fall and appeared to be healthy trees. This year the tree on the right in the picture hasn't leafed out like the one on the left. Does that look like the one on the right has had freeze damage?
i know as much about this as anything else i don't know much about
happiness is healthy cattle

jschoolcraft86
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by jschoolcraft86 » Thu May 07, 2020 1:44 pm

I'm not sure, I don't really have freeze damage issues down here. If they're both Pawnee I would have expected them to begin leafing out about the same time so they would both get hit, but I know trees can be weird. Freeze damage or water stress from last year are the two things I would guess.

If it stays really sparsely leafed like that you may have to prune some of the wood back to where it is actively growing. I let a few trees in my front yard get water stressed last year and i'm having to cut some back.

No issues with hail or anything? Although if one had hail damage I would assume the one right next to it would get roughed up pretty good also.

jschoolcraft86
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by jschoolcraft86 » Thu May 07, 2020 3:16 pm

what is interesting now that I think about it is the two trees in my yard I'm going to cut back for similar stuff are both pawnee also (although yours actually appears to be in better shape than these two).

One of the places I sell my pecans is wishy washy on Pawnee because they can be great but they apparently can be a little finicky.

The Pawnee in my orchard are doing well but they got a lot more water last year. Makes me lean back towards the water stress idea.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Thu May 07, 2020 3:25 pm

jschoolcraft86 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:59 pm
Mohawk is pretty big.

The biggest variety in Texas is Podsednik but they have some issues with how well they fill out.

Here is a pic of a board of every variety in the state they have you make at the Pecan Short Course @ TAMU. They are in descending order by size. I can try to take a better pic of the board if this isn't clear enough (It seems pretty dark).

My dad was really good at grafting pecan trees. He really enjoyed grafting and always had two to three dozen grafted saplings he was playing with. Back in the 70’s the extension agent had him give a class on grafting. He routinely gave grafted trees to people he knew, when they moved to a new place.
I remember his favorites were Chickasaw and Mahan varieties.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

ccr
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by ccr » Thu May 07, 2020 3:42 pm

jschoolcraft86 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 3:16 pm
what is interesting now that I think about it is the two trees in my yard I'm going to cut back for similar stuff are both pawnee also (although yours actually appears to be in better shape than these two).

One of the places I sell my pecans is wishy washy on Pawnee because they can be great but they apparently can be a little finicky.

The Pawnee in my orchard are doing well but they got a lot more water last year. Makes me lean back towards the water stress idea.
Thanks jschoolcraft. Maybe water stress. The sickly looking tree probably does not get as much water as the other one, and when we were building the driveway they pushed the gravel almost all of the way to it. Later I removed some of the gravel away from the tree, but the water basin around it is not as good as the other tree's.

jschoolcraft86
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by jschoolcraft86 » Sat May 09, 2020 12:11 pm

The extension agents have done some grafting demonstrations during field days out at my place. It’s cool to know how many programs they have been running for so long.

I have a few trees in my orchard that my grandfather climbed into and grafted back when he got the place. They are in the middle of the rows so they get in the way but they’re gonna stay there because of their history.

Hippie Rancher
GURU
GURU

Post by Hippie Rancher » Mon May 11, 2020 3:50 pm

finally getting back to this thread with some pictures! a couple of last fall's nuts and the round kind's catkins and leaves right now (blooming really late this year, strange)

jschoolcraft86
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by jschoolcraft86 » Mon May 11, 2020 4:11 pm

the kernels from the round ones look nice. those leaves are interesting too, they look longer and thinner than what i have. any idea what variety that is? My guess on the round ones is GraZona

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Post by Rafter S » Tue May 12, 2020 4:49 pm

Get you one like this. It was my father's. I don't know where he got it, but I suspect he inherited it too. He spent many winter evenings sitting on a chair in the pump house with this thing clamped to a table, cracking pecans one by one and letting the shells fly. When he got a bowl full he'd come in the house and pick them out while he watched TV.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer or dance with ugly women.

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Post by Rafter S » Tue May 12, 2020 5:53 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:22 am
I have one papershell that makes giant nuts. Love shelling them, I can get the meat out whole and they are beautiful. We planted it 30 years ago so I don't remember what variety it is.. but I believe it was an indian named one..
Choctaw maybe? I think that variety was pretty common back then.
Life is too short to drink cheap beer or dance with ugly women.

ccr
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by ccr » Tue May 12, 2020 6:40 pm

We have a few varieties and Choctaw is the biggest nut and easy to shell and sure enough tasty, but has weak limb structure.

RS we have that exact same Perfection Nut Cracker as in your photo. It works great.