Anybody got their walnuts in yet?

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
talltimber
GURU
GURU

Re: Anybody got their walnuts in yet?

Postby talltimber » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:09 am

My grandma had four or five hickories in her yard, years ago, that produced the large nuts. I've not found but one tree since that puts that big of a nut on. They were really worth the effort, but was not what I would call easy to get out. Easier than these small ones I can pick up out in the woods. She made pies with them. Way better than pecans, and I really like pecans. Walnuts, not so much, but we have a big crop of them this year.
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:44 am

For cooking, I prefer hickories; if I'm just gonna be eating a handful of nuts, I prefer pecans.
Shagbarks are the easiest cracking, but most are fairly small. Shellbarks much larger, but shell is thicker.
Other hickory species, like pignut, mockernut, etc., usually not worth bothering with. Bitternut hickory and some individual pignuts have a bitter/astringent taste... not unlike an unripe persimmon.

There are superior selections - just as is the case for pecan and other fruit/nut species - that have better-than-average cracking characteristics, like thinner shell, open central cavity, etc., that result in ability to get intact halves/quarters out instead of just tiny little fragments of nutmeat.
Same for black walnuts... there are improved varieties with much thinner shells and higher kernel percentage (35-55% vs 12-15% kernel for most typical 'wild' BWs).
0 x

KMURBAN
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby KMURBAN » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:27 pm

Don't really bother with the nuts, but I do tap them like maple trees, excellent syrup...
0 x

Return to “Gardening”