Asparagus

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Asparagus

Postby Ky hills » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:15 pm

Looks like we will have a few spears of asparagus in a couple days. As a child I was only used to having the store bought canned stuff and didn't really like it. A few years ago, my mother planted some asparagus beside the house. I wasn't very excited about it, but when we started eating on it, man it's good stuff.
Both my mother and wife cook it with butter and a little salt. Had some grilled at O' Charleys one time it was pretty good but I like my vegetable cooked till they're pretty soft.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Asparagus

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:18 pm

Ky hills wrote:Looks like we will have a few spears of asparagus in a couple days. As a child I was only used to having the store bought canned stuff and didn't really like it. A few years ago, my mother planted some asparagus beside the house. I wasn't very excited about it, but when we started eating on it, man it's good stuff.
Both my mother and wife cook it with butter and a little salt. Had some grilled at O' Charleys one time it was pretty good but I like my vegetable cooked till they're pretty soft.

Asparagus is my favorite accompanying vegetable with my steak, well, along with my tater of course.
3 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:25 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Ky hills wrote:Looks like we will have a few spears of asparagus in a couple days. As a child I was only used to having the store bought canned stuff and didn't really like it. A few years ago, my mother planted some asparagus beside the house. I wasn't very excited about it, but when we started eating on it, man it's good stuff.

Asparagus is my favorite accompanying vegetable with my steak, well, along with my tater of course.

Yep. Me too. It has some healthy benefits
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:36 pm

My nephew gave my wife some starter plants a couple of years ago. They have been producing, but the wife eats them raw before she gets in the house.
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:31 pm

Garlic butter and sea salt. Need I say more.
2 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:35 pm

Steamed with just salt
0 x

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:29 pm

slick4591 wrote:My nephew gave my wife some starter plants a couple of years ago. They have been producing, but the wife eats them raw before she gets in the house.

That is me! I have lots planted, but they almost never make it to the pan. I eat them as they grow, raw and fresh! Nothing better than fresh, crunchy asparagus! LOVE IT!
1 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:53 am

There is a highway ROW not far from me that has wild asparagus growing along the ditches for nearly six miles. This thread reminds me that its about time to go check on this. Most people don't know what it is and just think I'm out there collecting beer cans. :D
1 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

VAAngus
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby VAAngus » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:33 am

I have one fence row that has about 3 different bunches growing wild. It doesn't get as thick a stem on it as the plants in the garden, and seems to be more tender. I have to check it everyday to get any, because either the deer or the cows one will wipe it out after it gets over 4 or 5 inches tall.
0 x

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:07 pm

I have several spots around the farm where it grows, and started a row at the house a few years ago that should be good to pick this year. It's so much different than even "fresh" store bought. I was in my mid twenties before I knew there was canned asparagus, we always had it at home. The canned stuff is horrible.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:26 am

We have a few wild plants up here.. gonna be another 2 months before they do anything
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Return to “Gardening”