Tillers

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Tillers

Postby Craig Miller » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:13 am

I have had this tiller about 3 or 4 years. It got water into the transmission and locked up. The parts I priced are gonna run me about $150. If you have one try to get some grease Into the trans before it gets like mine. Cub doesn't provide a way to add grease aside from disassembly. Mine was about half dry after only a few seasons. I think I'll look for one with a locked up motor and set my motor on it or just a different one all together. Which ever comes along first.
0 x

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Re: Tillers

Postby jltrent » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:42 am

Craig Miller wrote:I have had this tiller about 3 or 4 years. It got water into the transmission and locked up. The parts I priced are gonna run me about $150. If you have one try to get some grease Into the trans before it gets like mine. Cub doesn't provide a way to add grease aside from disassembly. Mine was about half dry after only a few seasons. I think I'll look for one with a locked up motor and set my motor on it or just a different one all together. Which ever comes along first.

Drill a hole in the trans toward the top away from everything, tap and put a zerk in. Add grease and/or 90w and they will last. I have done that several times to numerous gear boxes. Usually from the factory they are pretty dry. Also try to store in a shed or put a tarp over when not in use. The smaller zerks will tap 1/4 and you will need to use a smaller drill bit.
Last edited by jltrent on Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:58 am

It was stored under the back porch but the rain blew in on it. That's a good solution on the grease.
0 x

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:19 am

Craig Miller wrote:It was stored under the back porch but the rain blew in on it. That's a good solution on the grease.
On dust covers that are pretty thin metal on wheels or moving parts on machinery I have drilled holes, added zerks and spot welded with a mig, so they want come back out. An ounce of prevention is a pound of cure.
0 x

SPH
Rancher
Rancher

Postby SPH » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:15 pm

This story is a little off topic but I bought an old Montgomery Ward tiller off Craigslist about 15 years ago for $75. A few years after I bought it I could get it started but it would not keep firing unless I hit it with some starting fluid. Took it into a local mower shop that worked on small engines and put in a little over $100 in repairs and it fires on first pull ever since. As we loaded it into the truck when I picked it up from the shop the guy helping me says "I bet this thing just eats through turf like nothing as you can't buy a new tiller that is built as heavy as this is." He was right, before I bought that tiller I rented out tillers from the local hardware stores and none of them ever dug in with ease like that old Montgomery Ward tiller still does today.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:52 am

jltrent wrote:
Craig Miller wrote:It was stored under the back porch but the rain blew in on it. That's a good solution on the grease.
On dust covers that are pretty thin metal on wheels or moving parts on machinery I have drilled holes, added zerks and spot welded with a mig, so they want come back out. An ounce of prevention is a pound of cure.

They make drive-in grease fittings too. They have ridges on the OD to hold it in but not threads. You do have to drill the correct size hole, but I've never had one come out.

Many times, the gear box will leak a bit around the tine shaft while tilling and you don't see it for all the dirt flying around ..or you get a bit of grass or some string wrapped around the shaft and the seal leaks when what you need to be assuming is it needs some more lube.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Return to “Gardening”