Summer Garden 2018

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Summer Garden 2018

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:03 pm

bitter sweet garden this year but I'm starting on it.

0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Re: Summer Garden 2018

Postby ohiosteve » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:41 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:bitter sweet garden this year but I'm starting on it.

Same here brother. My garden is getting a little better each year but I know I still have a lot to learn. I focus mainly on salsa ingredients now, I'm hoping to turn out some legendary batches later this year. There are definitely worse hobbies than gardening.
Edited to add; my garden is much smaller than yours. Good luck!
0 x
The truest of warriors is often overlooked.

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:26 pm

The wife is this far along.

0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:16 pm

slick4591 wrote:The wife is this far along.

That is looking awesome Slick!
0 x

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:40 pm

ohiosteve wrote:

Same here brother. My garden is getting a little better each year but I know I still have a lot to learn. I focus mainly on salsa ingredients now, I'm hoping to turn out some legendary batches later this year. There are definitely worse hobbies than gardening.

I'd like some details on that salsa.

I'd love to be able to make Pace picante the way it was before Campbell's messed it up.

Do you cook yours in the jar?
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:54 pm

ohiosteve wrote:

good luck to you as well post pics love homemade salsa

ohiosteve wrote:

I agree :tiphat:
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:40 am

skyhightree1 wrote:
ohiosteve wrote:

good luck to you as well post pics love homemade salsa

ohiosteve wrote:

I agree :tiphat:

Thanks. She's planted all she's going to for now and I hope everyone has good luck with theirs.
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:25 am

HDRider wrote:I'd like some details on that salsa.

I'd love to be able to make Pace picante the way it was before Campbell's messed it up.

I have a big stainless steel pot I like to cook in it usually makes about 20 pint jars. I have a recipe I loosly follow, I usually change the types of peppers and spices a little on each batch. I love very spicy salsa. I realize it's risky not using a proven recipe though if it is not acidic enough it can spoil. I am going to test pH this year. Of course it doesn't matter if you store it in the fridge and eat it within a month. I can give you my recipe if you'd like it.
0 x

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:47 am

ohiosteve wrote:
HDRider wrote:I'd like some details on that salsa.

I have a big stainless steel pot I like to cook in it usually makes about 20 pint jars. I have a recipe I loosly follow, I usually change the types of peppers and spices a little on each batch. I love very spicy salsa. I realize it's risky not using a proven recipe though if it is not acidic enough it can spoil. I am going to test pH this year. Of course it doesn't matter if you store it in the fridge and eat it within a month. I can give you my recipe if you'd like it.

I would. Thanks
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:17 pm

This is probably the best corn I've ever ate

0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:21 pm

I'm getting there.. first year without my grandma watching me work up the garden as she watched from the deck I looked over and could picture her perfectly down to her favorite jacket as I made rows and the tears fell. I am scaling back on somethings I plant this year.

1 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:16 am

skyhightree1 wrote:I'm getting there.. first year without my grandma watching me work up the garden as she watched from the deck I looked over and could picture her perfectly down to her favorite jacket as I made rows and the tears fell. I am scaling back on somethings I plant this year.

I think she finally got to help you drive the tractor. Strangest rows I’ve seen from you..... ;-)
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:42 am

1982vett wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:I'm getting there.. first year without my grandma watching me work up the garden as she watched from the deck I looked over and could picture her perfectly down to her favorite jacket as I made rows and the tears fell. I am scaling back on somethings I plant this year.

I think she finally got to help you drive the tractor. Strangest rows I’ve seen from you..... ;-)

I thought the same thing. Finally straight rows.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:35 am

M-5 wrote:
1982vett wrote:

I thought the same thing. Finally straight rows.

I think y'all may be right lol
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:37 am

I hate cutting these planting 2 varieties

0 x

Return to “Gardening”