Summer Garden 2018

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
1982vett
GURU
GURU

Re: Summer Garden 2018

Post by 1982vett » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:22 am

Bite size stuffed pepper poppers sounds good to me

Aug 7, 2019 22:51GMT -5 the illustrious potentate said:
Because you have the freedom to say what you think, doesn't always mean that you should.

The right to speak freely is not free of consequences.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Post by skyhightree1 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:10 am

1982vett wrote:Bite size stuffed pepper poppers sounds good to me

Come on up ill have a few hundred... I like putting spaghetti in mine and or taco beef and cheese mostly. What do you put in yours?
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Post by 1982vett » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:14 am

Jalapeños....we aren’t a big fan of cream cheese so cheddar is the cheese. Mix it with minced onion and garlic salt. meats - kinda whatever we are feeling or have, sausage, burger, Italian sausage, bacon. Taco meat sounds interesting. Haven’t done that. Wrap with a thin sliced bacon and grill. Can be don in an oven too.

I’m not crazy about stuffed bell pepper but I do like to cook with it. Just needs to be chopped up fine so meatballs is the way for me rather than stuffed. They vary as to what I have too. Made some last week that were real tasty maybe because it’s been a while or just cause they were simple. Used roughly 1 1/2 lb hamburger, tsp garlic powder, tsp onion powder, salt, pepper, 1/4 c minced celery, 3/4 sleeve premium crackers and 2 eggs. I put these in a covered pan and cook for a few minutes then tuned and cook a few more just to give a little color, then added chicken broth and covered to finish cooking. Could put them in an oven and bake too.

Some of the more “complex” would have minced mushroom, bell pepper, Parmesan cheese, maybe Italian seasoning. Could use bread or panko bread crumbs instead of crackers but I prefer crackers. I once used a recipe that used rice which was pretty good.

Served with spaghetti and choice of spaghetti sauce or Alfredo sauce..... :oops: :secret: out of a jar.. :hide:
Because you have the freedom to say what you think, doesn't always mean that you should.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Post by skyhightree1 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:59 pm

1982vett wrote:Jalapeños....we aren’t a big fan of cream cheese so cheddar is the cheese. Mix it with minced onion and garlic salt. meats - kinda whatever we are feeling or have, sausage, burger, Italian sausage, bacon. Taco meat sounds interesting. Haven’t done that. Wrap with a thin sliced bacon and grill. Can be don in an oven too.

I’m not crazy about stuffed bell pepper but I do like to cook with it. Just needs to be chopped up fine so meatballs is the way for me rather than stuffed. They vary as to what I have too. Made some last week that were real tasty maybe because it’s been a while or just cause they were simple. Used roughly 1 1/2 lb hamburger, tsp garlic powder, tsp onion powder, salt, pepper, 1/4 c minced celery, 3/4 sleeve premium crackers and 2 eggs. I put these in a covered pan and cook for a few minutes then tuned and cook a few more just to give a little color, then added chicken broth and covered to finish cooking. Could put them in an oven and bake too.

Some of the more “complex” would have minced mushroom, bell pepper, Parmesan cheese, maybe Italian seasoning. Could use bread or panko bread crumbs instead of crackers but I prefer crackers. I once used a recipe that used rice which was pretty good.

Served with spaghetti and choice of spaghetti sauce or Alfredo sauce..... :oops: :secret: out of a jar.. :hide:

Nice... out of jar :lol:
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jogeephus » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:36 pm

Some garden goodies. Shame it all comes in at the same time because we can't eat it fast enough and I can't seem to give it away unless I pick it, process it and deliver it.

Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Post by jltrent » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:17 am

Jogeephus wrote:Some garden goodies. Shame it all comes in at the same time because we can't eat it fast enough and I can't seem to give it away unless I pick it, process it and deliver it.

Looks good, I'll take that cantaloupe on the right. :lol:

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Post by 1982vett » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:16 am

Jogeephus wrote:Some garden goodies. Shame it all comes in at the same time because we can't eat it fast enough and I can't seem to give it away unless I pick it, process it and deliver it.

Know the feeling. We haven’t finished the cantaloupe I cut up Friday and picked 15 more yesterday.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Post by skyhightree1 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:36 am

looks good

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jogeephus » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:29 pm

1982vett wrote:

Know the feeling. We haven’t finished the cantaloupe I cut up Friday and picked 15 more yesterday.

Sounds like you need to be making some cantaloupe wine .... if there is such a thing.

Worked in the sun all day yesterday and we ended up eating two watermellons and a cantaloupe. Seemed to be more refreshing than water.
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Post by 1982vett » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:33 pm

The good thing is their aren’t as many this year but they are bigger. I’ve picked a couple that are almost the size of a soccer ball. ‘‘Tis a shame their shelf life is so short and not much else you can do with them.

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Post by jltrent » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:27 am

For Summer Garden

Dug a couple hills of potatoes to see how they are looking as I usually don't dig until after Labor Day as they will keep better. From now until then they should about double in size.

Started on the beets as they are my favorite.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Post by skyhightree1 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:25 pm

jltrent wrote:For Summer Garden

Dug a couple hills of potatoes to see how they are looking as I usually don't dig until after Labor Day as they will keep better. From now until then they should about double in size.

Started on the beets as they are my favorite.

Looking good.. I'm going to bush hog mine everything but the sweet potatoes I give up on fighting this losing battle of the summer garden

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Post by skyhightree1 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:30 pm

Tried to salvage these the crows seem to like them.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jogeephus » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:09 pm

Are those Charleston Gray's?

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jogeephus » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:26 pm

Picked some melons today. Charleston Gray and Yellow Doll's. Yellow Doll's sometimes bring funny looks on people's faces when they cut into them and see yellow flesh.