Summer Garden 2018

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Summer Garden 2018

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:14 pm

jltrent wrote:For my summer garden my zucchini is ready. I have six cauliflower plants and it is ready as I wish I had put out more.

Also pick some peas today. It was hot outside today.

Are those the peas you eat shell and all like for stir fry or do you only eat the seed(pea)? Just curious, either way nice looking stuff.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:48 pm

Are those the peas you eat shell and all like for stir fry or do you only eat the seed(pea)? Just curious, either way nice looking stuff.

They are Oregon Sugar Pod Peas and are pretty good to eat right off the vine not shelled. My wife boiled a pot not shelled and they are good tasting IMO. The lady at Mid-Mountain Feed and Seed, were I get my seed, recommended them to me and said that is what she would buy, out of four different types they had for-sale.

https://www.burpee.com/vegetables/peas/ ... 00788.html
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:15 am

Those are the best. I can only grow those during the winter/early spring and I often forget to plant them because of the timing but they are one of my favorites.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:25 pm

Garden is keeping us busy.

1 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:57 am

Jogeephus wrote:Garden is keeping us busy.

looking good some fine maters right there
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:39 pm

The corn looks good too. Good looking work crew also. Almost looks like they have an assembly line going, hard workers.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:43 am

I am giving up on most of the veggies and letting the garden go but am keeping up with the sweet taters my favorites
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:53 am

skyhightree1 wrote:

Almost look like storebought don’t they.... :oops: :lol:
I’m loosing the drive to garden. Too cold then to hot, to wet then pulling water hoses cause it’s to dry. Not to mention the back breaking labor to pick it and process.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:07 am

1982vett wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

I’m loosing the drive to garden. Too cold then to hot, to wet then pulling water hoses cause it’s to dry. Not to mention the back breaking labor to pick it and process.

I understand completely and the farmers market is starting to look more and more better every year :lol:
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:24 am

skyhightree1 wrote:
1982vett wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

I understand completely and the farmers market is starting to look more and more better every year :lol:

I bet our problem could be solved if we moved closer to Georgia...... :D
1 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:04 am

1982vett wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
1982vett wrote:Almost look like storebought don’t they.... :oops: :lol:

I think you are right... I wonder if any farms are close by to our good ol buddy
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:01 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
1982vett wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

I think you are right... I wonder if any farms are close by to our good ol buddy
Maybe just park a trailer at his back door..... :) I think over the years he’s proven to be a good provider and a generous being. :nod:
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:13 pm

1982vett wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
1982vett wrote:I bet our problem could be solved if we moved closer to Georgia...... :D

Maybe just park a trailer at his back door..... :) I think over the years he’s proven to be a good provider and a generous being. :nod:

Garden seasons winding down gives us enough time to prep and get trailers and move down there as soon as the veggies are done
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:58 pm

By then it will meat processing time..... yep I think we have a plan
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:09 pm

See ya there
0 x

Return to “Gardening”