Summer Garden 2018

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Summer Garden 2018

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:41 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:See ya there

Come on by. Having a bumper crop this year and I can't even give it all away unless I pick and deliver and I don't do that.

Food police dropped by to see me the other day and asked what I was doing with all the squash I had. Told them I was making squash casseroles and taking them to the nursing home for the residents. Turns out that was the wrong thing to say being I didn't have a license for that. :bang:
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:55 pm

Jogeephus wrote:

Come on by. Having a bumper crop this year and I can't even give it all away unless I pick and deliver and I don't do that.

Food police dropped by to see me the other day and asked what I was doing with all the squash I had. Told them I was making squash casseroles and taking them to the nursing home for the residents. Turns out that was the wrong thing to say being I didn't have a license for that. :bang:

:lol: :lol: I will be there
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:44 pm

Anybody want to eat one ?

0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:09 am

Lots of the little tomatoes but had a hard time keeping them watered till last few days. Really good taste but skins were tough of many of them.

That's about the last of the squash.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:59 am

Jogeephus wrote:

A couple years ago I gave away corn and beans to several people and picked it. They did come and get it though. I hate to see it waste, but don't know if I will do it again. They did act like they appreciated it.
2 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:28 pm

jltrent wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:

A couple years ago I gave away corn and beans to several people and picked it. They did come and get it though. I hate to see it waste, but don't know if I will do it again. They did act like they appreciated it.

I shouldn't have said I don't do it because I will but only for people who can't do it or are unable to do it. I offered a guy I know who is one of those organic food health nuts and asked him if he wanted some. He said heck yeah and went on and on about the perils of factory farming and yada yada yada. I then told him he was welcome to pick all he wanted. His eyes turned to saucers and reminded me of a deer in the headlights. Its those folks like him I wont' pick for.
1 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:37 pm

Jogeephus wrote:
jltrent wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:

I shouldn't have said I don't do it because I will but only for people who can't do it or are unable to do it. I offered a guy I know who is one of those organic food health nuts and asked him if he wanted some. He said heck yeah and went on and on about the perils of factory farming and yada yada yada. I then told him he was welcome to pick all he wanted. His eyes turned to saucers and reminded me of a deer in the headlights. Its those folks like him I wont' pick for.

Or giving someone fish too
0 x

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:30 am

Been working on beans the last few days..Yesterday canned 28 quarts and the day before 21 quarts of peanut beans.....been a good year.

28 quarts yesterday canned

I counted 128 total quarts canned. I hope 32 gallon will be enough as my fingers are getting tired. :lol:

2 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:08 pm

You've been busy. Do you add a touch of salt to you quarts?
0 x

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:18 pm

Jogeephus wrote:You've been busy. Do you add a touch of salt to you quarts?

A half spoon of canning salt nothing else.
Last edited by jltrent on Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

SPH
Rancher
Rancher

Postby SPH » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:52 pm

Been such a rainy year here I didn't get my garden planted until right before Memorial Day because it was too wet to till it before then. May have some yellow squash ready within a week but everything else is still way behind and already have people at work who take my excess harvest wondering why I have not brought in anything yet. I'm usually trying to give away lettuce around this time of the year and I haven't had any luck getting my lettuce seed to take this year. Wondering if it is too wet or hot or combo of both. Yesterday I took some leftover plastic pots from my tomato and pepper plant transplants and put some potting soil and lettuce seed in them and going to try a more controlled grow to get some plants started that way. Everything else is healthy and growing for tomatoes, peppers, green beans, broccoli and cucumbers but at least 3-4 weeks behind when I usually plant. Was given some shallots which I have never grown, was worried the bulbs may have rotted like some of my white onions did in the saturated soil but seeing some tops now and am told to harvest them when the tops start to whither and die which happens around 90 days so guess I have about 2 more months of waiting on them.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:48 am

jltrent wrote:Been working on beans the last few days..Yesterday canned 28 quarts and the day before 21 quarts of peanut beans.....been a good year.

28 quarts yesterday canned

I counted 128 total quarts canned. I hope 32 gallon will be enough as my fingers are getting tired. :lol:

Looks good keep up the good work
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:49 am

So much rain it's ridiculous now the watermelons are rotting.. I did manage to salvage this.
1 x

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:50 am

skyhightree1 wrote:So much rain it's ridiculous now the watermelons are rotting.. I did manage to salvage this.
Looks good, the rain should help a lot of those keep producing.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:11 am

jltrent wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:So much rain it's ridiculous now the watermelons are rotting.. I did manage to salvage this.
Looks good, the rain should help a lot of those keep producing.

I agree the end rot on the peppers is making me pull them early it sucks i love stuff peppers but seems ill have some bite size stuffed peppers
0 x

Return to “Gardening”