Hibiscus

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Hibiscus

Postby Cross-7 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:00 pm

I have one that all the leaves are turning yellow and falling off.
I googled it and said it could be too much water, too much sun, not enough sun, not enough water.
It’s in a pot and I’ve moved it all over from shade to sun. I’ve watered it more and watered it less and no change.
But I noticed white web type stuff on the stems and I looked on the back of the leaves and it has white dots.
I googled it but didn’t find anything.
Anyone have any idea of what’s going on ?

Edit to add I have 2 more of a different variety that seen fine
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Re: Hibiscus

Postby M-5 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:26 pm

Is it Root bound ??
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:29 pm

I don’t think so.
It was in a small plastic pot when I bought it a couple months ago.
I put is big pot that held a 40-50# bag of potting soil.
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:17 pm

White stuff is probably powdery mildew.

The loss of leaves is one or more of what you’ve done. :D Although it just might be a combination of the heat and being in a pot. Mine are doing the same. I moved mine to morning sun and seemed to help some but they aren’t thriving.

I always mix dirt in with the potting soil. Potting soil just doesn’t seem to hold any moisture. Water runs through it to fast. Also I think it has so much sawdust and wood chips it’s starving the plant as it all decays. My plants seem to do better when I water with a liquid fertilizer dispenser a couple times a week.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:24 pm

1982vett wrote:White stuff is probably powdery mildew.

The loss of leaves is one or more of what you’ve done. :D Although it just might be a combination of the heat and being in a pot. Mine are doing the same. I moved mine to morning sun and seemed to help some but they aren’t thriving.

Thats what kinda of what I’ve done.
They get filtered sun till about 9:00 then full sun till 2-3:00 .
I sprayed it with liquid sevin
I’ll see if that helps.
Otherwise I’m done with it.
The other varieties seem fine so I’ll stick with them
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:28 pm

You’ll need a fungicide for powdery mildew but the Sevin sure won’t hurt it.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:20 pm

1982vett wrote:You’ll need a fungicide for powdery mildew but the Sevin sure won’t hurt it.

I’ve got some fungicide I’m using on the bonsai trees, I’ve about killed them too.
I may have to switch over to rock and cactus gardening :D
1 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:43 pm

From my own experience, application of RemedyUltra too close to a Hibiscus will ensure you will never have another problem with that plant.....................and that's all I know about Hibiscus.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:32 am

greybeard wrote:From my own experience, application of RemedyUltra too close to a Hibiscus will ensure you will never have another problem with that plant.....................and that's all I know about Hibiscus.

:D :D
That may be my simplest option
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:46 am

Sounds like spider mites. To test, take a piece of notebook paper and hold it horizontally to the ground under the leaves and vigorously shake the leaves with your hand then fold the paper in two and rub the top and bottom layer together and if you see little wet spots on the paper then you have spider mites. Treat accordingly. I'd treat all your hibiscus if it is because they all probably have it.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

millstreaminn
Rancher
Rancher

Postby millstreaminn » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:03 am

Cross-7 wrote:I have one that all the leaves are turning yellow and falling off.
I googled it and said it could be too much water, too much sun, not enough sun, not enough water.
It’s in a pot and I’ve moved it all over from shade to sun. I’ve watered it more and watered it less and no change.
But I noticed white web type stuff on the stems and I looked on the back of the leaves and it has white dots.
I googled it but didn’t find anything.
Anyone have any idea of what’s going on ?

Edit to add I have 2 more of a different variety that seen fine

Spider mites. Get a magnifying glass and you can see them crawling around. I had a post about them a while back. Never did find a spray to kill them. What I ended up doing that worked the best was to submerge the entire plant in water for 15 minutes. It will drown the mites. You will have to do it a few times, a few days apart to kill the new eggs that hatch. They are a real pain.
0 x
When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:14 am

About this time last year, I had several hibiscus (and every other plant in the yard) completely submerged for nearly 36 hrs and it didn't seem to hurt them one bit.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

millstreaminn
Rancher
Rancher

Postby millstreaminn » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:17 pm

greybeard wrote:About this time last year, I had several hibiscus (and every other plant in the yard) completely submerged for nearly 36 hrs and it didn't seem to hurt them one bit.

Here's where I got my idea to drown them. Was the best method for me: http://www.hiddenvalleyhibiscus.com/car ... rmites.htm
0 x
When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid.

Return to “Gardening”