Heifers will make you old

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
coachg
Cowhand
Cowhand

Heifers will make you old

Postby coachg » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:10 pm

With 16 heifers to calve I knew it would be a long spring. First 2 , no issues but # 3 nothing seemed right. Didn't know what day she was bred but full bag, swollen vulva, nervousness ; all the signs she was close. Checked her twice a day ,sometimes 3. No outward signs she had calved but my gut told me something not right. Looked the woods over walked every inch of the pasture nothing. Bag going down but no sign of sucking by a calf. Well this morning I go over before church and as I drove across the dam of the pond I see her calf floating in the pond , probably dead a week or more. No signs of wear on the bottom of the bull calf's hooves. I think she dropped him in the pond. #4 on the ground and up nursing this afternoon. 4 down 12 to go; it's going to be a long spring ! :shock:
4 x
John 3:16 For God so loved the world...

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Heifers will make you old

Postby Bigfoot » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:28 pm

Get a longhorn bull. Made my life so much easier. Wouldn't have saved on from drowning though.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

coachg
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby coachg » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:50 pm

Calf size has not been an issue, bought the best calving ease bull I could find to breed my angus heifers, all are plenty big enough to calve. Just heifers.
0 x
John 3:16 For God so loved the world...

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:54 pm

Bigfoot wrote:Get a longhorn bull. Made my life so much easier. Wouldn't have saved on from drowning though.

Longhorns really swim well in the westerns. :nod:
9 x
Stocker Steve

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:05 am

coachg wrote:Calf size has not been an issue, bought the best calving ease bull I could find to breed my angus heifers, all are plenty big enough to calve. Just heifers.

I feel your pain. We're calving out 31 this year, but we've calved out as many as 60, but average around 25 every spring.
Its been too quiet in our heifer pasture the past few days. I'm guessing we have around 10 left to calve.
I cringe when I see people who think its best to start out in the cattle business with heifers. I just shake my head.......
1 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:12 am

Sun up we see a heifer with a brand new calf...I said, "Great way to start a Monday" Then open up my computer and see we had a credit card hacker, nobody got time for that....
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:27 am

Not all heifers are a PIA like that. We retain heifers every.. single.. year and have little to no issues. The heifers get turned out in the pasture with the momma cows, same bulls breeding all of them, and get to work. Its sink or swim. They get checked with the rest of the herd... nothing special.

At some point you have to break the cycle. If you keep babying your heifers your will end up with pampered cows that raise heifers that have to be babied.
1 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:17 am

We calve our own raised up heifers. They do get raised and bred separately than the cows, and I do check them daily during calving season just like we check the cows. But other than maybe rechecking if one seems to be a little off, and the black b#$^% buzzard problems, they don't get babied. We do use an easy calving bull on them, but other than that they are just another group of "due to calve" animals to be checked. We have no more problem with calving them than with the cows.

Did have one calve alsongside a creek and the calf was either born dead or drowned, one year. Had a cow found dead on flat ground that was due so don't know what happened to her but that is part of it. Haven't pulled a calf in years except for a backwards presentation on a cow, and when we saw her, got her in and pulled it easy pull and it was up and going in a little bit.

We don't have time to babysit and stress out over them. They also are in the 27 to 30 month age range when they calve and it just works better for us. They are bigger, more mature and seem to know what to do and accept the calf with no fanfare.
2 x

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:04 am

If anyone wants I can set you up with 169 to calve out next month.. :lol2:
3 x

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Postby Ebenezer » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:04 pm

Supa Dexta wrote:If anyone wants I can set you up with 169 to calve out next month.. :lol2:

You might not be able to afford the salary! :roll:
0 x

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:46 pm

I can't afford a lot of things.
1 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:41 pm

We actually had 2 born before sunup. Good day.
1 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:10 pm

On the flip side, there's nothing funnier than a first calf heifer chasing and bellowing after her out of control calf that just wants to run, buck and have fun. The older cows just watch their calves until they collapse from exhaustion - heifers haven't figured that out yet. :lol:
4 x

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:28 pm

Supa Dexta wrote:If anyone wants I can set you up with 169 to calve out next month.. :lol2:

Wish you were closer, I'd send you another 180.

Sensuous up........... :D
0 x
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:11 am

TCRanch wrote:On the flip side, there's nothing funnier than a first calf heifer chasing and bellowing after her out of control calf that just wants to run, buck and have fun. The older cows just watch their calves until they collapse from exhaustion - heifers haven't figured that out yet. :lol:

I think my fav laugh is the heifer who's calving and keeps getting up to see if anything is there yet...And then when she does finally sees her calf and gets all excited. I sit out in my hot tub before sun up to listen for any problems in all my herds. One of the heifers that calved yesterday morning was talking, so I went inside to tell my husband to grab a spotlight. The calf was trying to nurse, but she wanted him clean. SO it was round and round, she must have been telling him to stand still....
0 x

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”